FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet speeds drops from 54mb to 4mb every evening

rcb99
Team Player
Message 42 of 42

Everyday between 8pm to 11pm approx my Internet speed gradually slows from 54mb to 4mb. I have changed the router done all kinds of wireless/wired tests. Even had my laptop  on 1m cable plugged directly to the router and still I only get 4 mb. Routers still  report sync speed of 60/20 even though  I can do nothing on the Internet aside of ookla speed tests. Terrible. Had enough... Tried twitter feed and those guys are worse than useless .Please can someone check my line or suggest how to diagnose the problem.

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 21 of 42
Thanks that would be much appreciated.
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 22 of 42

Hi rcb99,

I'm really sorry for the delay. I've escalated this straight over to one of our Network Engineers and I'll post back as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Message 23 of 42

Hello  , can someone please follow  up  on this. I  have had no response since Thursday on my  speed tests and escalation to  the Network  team. 

Thanks

Richard 

0 Likes

Message 24 of 42

Hi Debbie, 

@OCE_Debbie

Could you please let me know that this is going to be investigated by the Network team as the speed tests you requested show a drastic slow down in the evening.

Thanks

Richard 

0 Likes

scott88c
Conversation Starter
Message 25 of 42
Me too 🙂 I have a feeling it's the TT SVLAN capacity and I know BT uses their own, so will we will see if the network team fobbed me off or not.
0 Likes

Lwoodward
Conversation Starter
Message 26 of 42

@scott88c looking forward to seeing your results! May make the switch myself if so. 

0 Likes

scott88c
Conversation Starter
Message 27 of 42
Yeah will be interesting for sure. I'm actually switching to BT later this month and will update my thread on the results, to see if there is any difference.
0 Likes

Message 28 of 42

No its likely remnants  of  my  VPN . I  switched it off  to run the tracert and  I guess it  was still  affecting  things. 

I  do notice when TT  is  running slow in the evening that  ruining  with  a VPN speeds things up .  From that  it  would  seem like  TT are throttling the connection  or  there is  seriously something  wrong on the Network or both .  Fortunately, I have managed to  get  an Engineer organised for  Monday  so   cannot  wait  to  see what  he turns up,   but  not  holding my  breath. My  experience with Openreach Engineers has not  been vey  inspiring  either.  

At the moment  seems inevitable that  I  will  be leaving  TT  for  pastures new  as I  cannot  put  up  with  this  mess any  longer.  

scott88c
Conversation Starter
Message 29 of 42

Looks like there is something inbetween your router and the TT gateway. Do you use a router and a seperate modem? Or a VPN? Normally on the TT router, it goes 1. Router IP, 2 ISP Gateway and so on. There is something inbetween your 1 and 3 and I don't know if it's a modem, VPN(can't be this dont think) or what, but it could be causing the latency I guess. Go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ , does it say TalkTalk under ISP?

Actually it could just be another TT gateway that isn't responding to pings. Bit strange though as the other allow pings, maybe it's having issues.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 42
@Chris-TalkTalk
@Debbie-TalkTalk

Please let me know that my issue has been passed to the Netwoek team fro investigation. Thanks
0 Likes

Message 31 of 42

Should also  mention the  tracert   was done  with  a healthy  connection   currnetly  @ 56 mb.  Not  sure what  I  would get  if I  ran it   in the eveing  duing  a slow  down . Have to try  it  .

0 Likes

Message 32 of 42
Heres what I get.

Tracing route to google.com [216.58.204.46]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ttrouter [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms ae50-ner001.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.1]
4 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms ae50-scr101.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.0]
5 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms 72.14.243.46
6 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 209.85.247.201
7 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms 108.170.238.117
8 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms lhr25s12-in-f14.1e100.net [216.58.204.46]

Trace complete.
0 Likes

scott88c
Conversation Starter
Message 33 of 42
I am having the same problem, long thread now https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Congestion-Speeds-drop-at-7pm/td-p/2530886 , no fix yet.

But out of interest could you try doing a trace route to see what TT gateway you are connected to? Would be interesting to see if we are both connected to the same one and would also give TT some extra clues on where the problem is.

Open the command prompt. On Windows 10 you can click the search icon and type cmd and then open command prompt
Once opened, type tracert google.com
Press enter and then paste the results.

For example mine looks like this:

C:\Users\Scott>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [216.58.211.174]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ttrouter.lan [192.168.1.1]
2 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms ae50-ner001.loh.as13285.net [78.144.1.21]
3 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms ae50-scr101.loh.as13285.net [78.144.1.20]
4 5 ms 5 ms 6 ms 209.85.175.102
5 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 74.125.242.65
6 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 172.253.50.223
7 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms dub08s01-in-f174.1e100.net [216.58.211.174]

0 Likes

Message 34 of 42

Hi Debbie,

Can you please confirm that  you  are able  to  follow-up  with  your  Network team to  get the situation  resolved.

Thanks

Richard

0 Likes

Message 35 of 42

Hello Debbie .

Please find attached doc  containing the requested speed tests. 

This  situation  has been on-going for  several weeks  now and I need it  to  be resolved . I work in I.T  support  and need  a working  connection  at  all  hours  should  I  be called to  fix  an issue. I  am afraid  if  TT   do not   find a solution  to  this  I  wil have no  choice but  to make alternative arrangements .  This  would  be  a shame as I have been with  TT  for   many  years without  issue .

Many  Thanks

Richard     

0 Likes

Message 36 of 42

Thanks Debbie,  That eliminates  that as a possible  problem . 

Message 37 of 42

Hi Richard

I've just checked and I can confirm that your router has the latest firmware version.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 38 of 42

Hi Debbie, 

Would you  be able to  confirm the Firmware on my  router is up  to date . 

Thanks

Richard 

Message 39 of 42

Hi Richard

Thank you, once the speed tests have been completed I will ask our Network Team to look into this further.

Debbie

Message 40 of 42

Hi Debbie,

Thanks  for the reply.   

To be honest  it  does not  matter what  I am doing  at the time the speed  dies.  It  just  seems to   gradually  drop  off  a cliff i.e  from 54mb  down to   3 or 4 mb approx.  

Certainly,  I  would  expect  some slow down if I  was steaming  etc   but   not   to  that extent. 

I  have used the TT  service for  many  years  and I have never seen this behaviour  before.  I  have  also  tried doing  nothing  between 8pm - 11pm.  I  still  see the same behaviour. I  have swapped routers done  wired, wireless speed tests  all  show  me the same  speed drop  off.  This  situation as far  as I  am aware has only  been happening  for the last  couple of weeks  before that  it  was fine and I was getting  a constant speed.

All the speed tests carried out  by  TT (and myself) show the line is in sync  @ 60\20 mb and no  line faults  but there is  clearly  something  no  right between  8pm -  11pm approx.

I  will  attach the requested  speed tests  later today .

Thanks

Richard      

0 Likes