FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor wifi

boring piddock
Participant
Message 6 of 6

I recently upgraded to Fibre 35.  My first problen was not being able to connect at all with my Netgear D7000 router - I had to switch to the HG633.  All seemed to work fine, with promised speeds in both directions. 

Soon experienced wifi problems (dropouts) with multiple devices connected - a real problem when we're trying to work from home.

I see from the Existing customer offers and upgrades that

"The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Black is included with all Fibre 35 and 65 plans and is limited to one per household."

I haven't received or even been offered this router - I've read that it is better at handling multiple devices - will this solve my problems?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Message 2 of 6

Thanks, Debbie - that would be very helpful - I've updated my profile

Best wishes

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your help.  I've tried some of these - My old router just keeps cycling through a reboot before I can change anything and the settings listed on the link you provided aren't ones I can find a way of changing in the interface.  I've also tried splitting the SSIDs without any improvement.  I'll keep trying

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi

Sorry for the delay.

I can send you a Huawei WIFI hub for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @boring piddock,

As long as your Netgear router supports VDSL then you should still be able to use it if you want to, although you may need to change some settings to allow it to connect to the Fibre service.

If the TalkTalk router that you had been supplied with was the HG633 then they won't send you a new router when you upgrade to Fibre 35, this is because the HG633 fully supports that fibre service, they will only send a new router to brand new customers, or existing customers who have a router that does not support fibre.

The issue you are having with the HG633 Wi-Fi could possibly be related to Wi-Fi interference. There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.