FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Speed to your router"

brutkd
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Hi - we switched to Fibre65 on the advice that we should be able to get around 56Mbps through our connection.  Previously on our 40Mbps deal (now finished) we were getting approx 34Mbps, however with Fibre65 we are consistantly getting 36Mbps and nothing higher.

Whenever I run a test the result comes back

"Speed to your router" 48Mbps Good

"Speed to your device" 35Mbps Poor

or along those lines - you get the picture.  My question is, how is the "speed to my router" measured - is it pinged from the exchange to my router and back?  If so, this would mean I am losing 13Mbps from the router to my web browser?  I have a new 0.5m Cat5e connection hardwiring the router to my pc - is the TalkTalk router the culprit?

They have stated that there is a problem with my connection and that they are having someone investigate it over the next 30 days - I also note there is a graph at the bottom of the test page and this has been slowly creeping up from 40Mbps (which it appeared to be capped at with our previous deal) - it's now at 49Mbps which would suggest they are gradually tweaking something.  However, we are seeing no benefit on our connection.

Where are the losses likely to be occuring please?

REBOOT UNIVERSE Y/N
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 7

Hi brutkd,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. If the connection now remains stable then DLM may increase the speed further. Please let us know how your connection compares over the weekend 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Hi @brutkd,

Glad to hear the speeds are looking a bit better, the staff here will be able to take a look at your connection to see if they can see any other issues that might be affecting your speed.

The factory reset will not clear the 'session' in the same way as a 30+ minute switch off, this is because the equipment in the street cabinet that your phone line connects to holds the session information for your connection, it will retain this information for up to 30 minutes after your router disconnects, and if it reconnects again whilst the cabinet still has your session information then it will just reconnect you to the same session. So the only way to guarantee a new session is to switch off the router for over 30 minutes.

However, having said all that, the 30+ minute switch off does not often help increase the sync speed, it tends to be more helpful in situations where your throughput speed (i.e. wired speed test speed) is much lower than your sync speed, and it can often get that throughput speed to increase to something much closer to the sync speed. But there would be no harm in trying the 30+ minute power down, just to see if it makes any difference.

Message 3 of 7
Clearly I can't survive this world without you... cheers for that, the fact that the wifi user/pass was in much larger writing threw me. Well that's my story.
Apparently I get a down line rate of 53.939 - my wired speed has been measuring roughly 47-45 since a router reset.
I'll wait until the weekend and turn the router off for a good 30 mins and see if thst helps at all, although it wouldn't surprise me if the reset has already done that. 🙂
REBOOT UNIVERSE Y/N

Message 4 of 7

Hi @brutkd,

Are you sure you are using the correct username and password to log into the router, you need to use the router username and password, not the Wi-Fi name and password, both are on the label on the back, the router username and password are in smaller print.

If you have reset it to factory settings (by holding in the pinhole reset switch on the back for 10+ seconds) then the username and password should have been reset to those shown on the label.

Message 5 of 7

Great advice thanks - one profile updated.

Only thing is, I can't get into my router for some reason - I've reset it to the factory settings but it still wont let me in with the User/Pass...  it's a TALKTALK Huawei HG633 so do they lock them to prevent people fiddling?

Anyhoo, resetting it seems to have greatly helped, I've just done a test and am getting 45 down rather than the previous 37 - definitely a step in the right direction!  Would be good to get into my router though to check the sync speed, which I think I must have in the past as I had previously changed the password.  Resetting it doesn't appeared to have helped though...

REBOOT UNIVERSE Y/N

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @brutkd,

If you logged into your router and checked the sync speed you may find that this shows the same (or very similar) value to your 'speed to the router' value, the sync speed it the speed that your router has connected to the equipment in the street cabinet.

Normally a wired speed test will give you something fairly close to your sync speed, for example my sync speed is 40mbps, my wired speed test result is around 37.5mbps.

When you were on Fibre 35 your sync speed would have been capped to 40mbps maximum. All upgrading to Fibre 65 does is remove that cap from your line, so your router can then connect at the maximum speed your line is capable of.

If you have been told there is a fault with your line then this could well be having an impact on your speeds. However if your wired speed test results are significantly lower than your sync speed then switching your router off for over 30 minutes can often help, this will mean you connect to a new 'session' in the street cabinet when you switch the router back on. However until the fault has been resolved doing that might not make any difference (but there would be no real harm in giving it a try).

If your sync speed is up to somewhere around 49mbps then you would hope to get wired speed test results somewhere around 42 - 45mbps if everything was healthy.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.