Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

router problems

17 REPLIES 17
fourboys
Conversation Starter

Hi, I have recently, 12 days ago, been upgraded to Fibre 35 and have encountered problems since then. Firstly, if not actually using the internet for a while my devices lose connection, secondly, when streaming or downloading TV or music I am getting a lot of buffering. If I turn the router off and on again this helps. I checked my speeds online and it said all was OK with my connection. I chatted with a TALKTALK representative online and they advised me to reset the router. The problem is I do not know what to do after resetting the router. I have tried to look online and it says, do not reset if you don't know how to configure, which I don't. Has anyone any idea what I should do? thank you in anticipation

paulshent
Community Star

Hi

If it was suggested that you turn router off then all you have to do is

Power off router.

Wait for 30 mins and then power it back on.

After a little wait it will connect to Internet service.

Light on front will turn from Orange to steady white

That is it.  You DO NOT have to do anything else

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Thank you, I have tried that and it works well for a short while. The TALKTALK agent I chatted with asked me to reset the router with a pin in the back of the router where it says reset. I am not sure on that, I don't know what |I have to do if the router is reset to factory settings.

paulshent
Community Star

Ok.

If you hold in the reset pin for say 15 seconds minimum  you will see led light flash when actioned.

It will then just reboot as normal. (back to same state it came out of box)

It will not effect any thing you do.  You will have to change nothing

Router will boot as normal and your access will be the same

If you get same issue afterwards.

Then state the router type and model.

Sounds like it is a SageMcom Fast 5364 on firmware level 2816t

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Thank you so much for that, the router is actually a Huawei HG633, so I will try what you have said. I was really worried that it would be more complicated as you can guess, I am not tech minded.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi fourboys

How has the connection been since the factory reset?

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie, so sorry for the late reply but I have been experiencing problems again. Yes please, I would appreciate a new router as things are no better after factory reset. Thank you very much

OCE_Debbie

Hi fourboys

Apologies for this.

I have ordered the replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie, I have been reluctant to reply to you as my experience lately has been mixed. First, I do not now seem to lose connections if not on the internet for a while, that is good. I am still getting a little buffering when watching smart TV, this can be annoying. My speeds to my PC are still fairly poor but my speeds to my laptop seem to be reasonable. I'm not sure what is happening but again I can only say that before going to 'fast fibre 35 speed broadband' I did not have these problems. Have you any ideas further? thank you

OCE_Debbie

Hi fourboys

Thanks for your reply.

Have you also tried splitting the SSID's? Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie, I have looked into what you suggested and I'm afraid it is beyond me. Like I have said, I am not tech minded and I can't make sense of this. To be honest, I am afraid to try in case I lose what I have. What I can say is that my devices are not losing their connection to the router when they are switched off now. My TV is still buffering at times, and sometimes the internet seems to run very slow, especially on the desktop. I am able to use the internet most of the time but I can honestly say that since switching to fibre, it is not as stable as it used to be. As I had no choice but to switch I fear I must live with it. Thank you for all you have tried to do to help.

OCE_Chris

Hi fourboys,

Thanks for the information. The line test is clear and your router is now in sync at 39.2Mbps, could I just ask, how does your desktop connect to the router, Ethernet cable or WiFi?

Chris

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, sorry for the late reply but for days now the talktalk page has refused to open?? My desktop is connected with ethernet cable as I read that this was the best way. At the moment I have replaced the previous router and as long as I switch it off then on again it is working reasonably well, at least as it was before switching to fibre 35. I have said previously that I did not have any problems prior to this switch, that happened at the beginning of April, maybe things will settle down again. Thanks for your input.

OCE_Chris

Hi fourboys,

Does the TalkTalk page refuse to open on more than one device? Does it still refuse to open if you reboot your router?

Chris

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris, yes, the talk talk page opens slowly on all devices. It is working not too bad this morning as I have switched the router off then on again.

OCE_Michelle

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. If the connection improves after rebooting the router then this would suggest a possible router issue, however I can see from your post that you've tested with a different router. Can I just confirm, does this happen on more than one device?

Thanks

fourboys
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle, thanks for your help. The problem appears on all devices, but not all of the time. I have found that switching the router off then on again, no matter which router, seems to solve the problem. At least I have been able to stream TV without buffering, that is really annoying. I am not too worried about the speed, the speed was fine before I was switched on to fibre 35, so I am prepared to live with what I have, at least it is doing what I want it to do. Thanks again for everyone's help.

OCE_Debbie

Hi fourboys

Are you using the HG633 router at the moment?