FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed after first time installation

fliptoe
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

I've just had my fibre 65 set up by an openreach engineer and we're only getting a capped 20 mbps down and roughly 3-4 mbps up.

I understand that new users experience a 'stabilization phase' but should we really be getting 1/3 of our advertised speeds?

For comparison, when I had virgin media installed at my last flat, we were hitting advertised speeds on day 1. Is there something wrong or will this correct itself? 

This isn't an issue with wifi itself as we're experiencing identical speeds on a range of devices, I'm also getting a reported 21.7 mbps on the router itself (see attached)

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hello,

Thank you. The line test is still detecting a possible voice fault so I've passed this over to Openreach now to complete an external line investigation. If you don't hear anymore in the next 48hrs then please let us know and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hi Michelle,

It's plugged into the top socket now.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi,

Ok thank you. If the same fault is still detected then we can escalate this over to Openreach for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

I've just read the message from @martswain, apologies for not realising that the top one was the test socket.

I'll see if my partner can switch them now and I'll let you know as soon as we're plugged into the test socket 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi,

Would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket and I will run the line test again. If it still detects the same voice fault then I can pass this over to Openreach to complete an external line investigation.

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 20

@fliptoe  the test socket is at the top between the two screws, just plug the microfilter in there. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi,

Unfortunately that wouldn't be possible as we've only just moved to this address and don't know anyone with a landline.

I was also unable to plug the router into the test socket, as there doesn't appear to be one on our master socket (see attached)

PXL_20210811_064455163.jpg

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

Morning,

I've run the line test again now and it's still detecting the same fault. Would it be possible to borrow a phone for testing purposes to check the voice service as no dial tone or noise on the line can affect the broadband connection and would need to be investigated first?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hello,

Thanks for the update. I finish at 3 today, however if it's possible to keep the router connected to the test socket until tomorrow then I can run the line test first thing in the morning if that would be ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Hi, my partner is currently working from home and will be able to switch the sockets at about 3.30 pm, I'll update you as soon as she's able to do so.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hi,

Yes, please can you connect the microfilter and router at the test socket behind the faceplate and we can re-run the line test.

Thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 20

You need to unclip the faceplate on that Openreach one and then you will see the test socket in the backplate, connect there.

Message 13 of 20

This is the current set up, did you want me to move it to the other socket or leave it as is?

received_577765803592127.jpeg

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again please?

Thanks

0 Likes

fliptoe
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 20

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

Hi Michelle, we don't use / own a landline phone so unfortunately I can't check for a dial tone.

As for the socket, we have 2 master sockets next to our router, one new Openreach 5C which was updated by the engineer yesterday, and another unbranded socket under a decorative faceplate (Which came with the flat).

We're currently using the openreach socket.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 20

Hi fliptoe,

I've run a test on the line now which has detected a possible voice fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone? Does your main socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 17 of 20

If you would like the support team here to look into this for you it will help if you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.

Message 18 of 20

I've been unable to find the original contract but entered the same details into a private browser and was told I'd have a minimum speed of 56.4mb/s 

6f8617684ec0848893eeef86c40ca270.png

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 19 of 20

@fliptoe 

Unlike Virgin, which is full FTTP, you will not always get the advertised speed on Fibre 65 as it comes over the phone line and is subject to attenuation depending on the length of your individual line to the cabinet.

When you ordered you would have been given an estimated speed range specific to your line along with a minimum guaranteed speed.

What were those numbers ?

0 Likes