FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed to router

brooksie1
Conversation Starter
Message 34 of 34

I've recently upgraded from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 but find no difference in speed. I have turned my router off for over 30 minutes but there wasn't any difference. When I go to Service Centre it shows speed to router as 51mb but running a speedtest I only get about 38. I'm connected via Ethernet so is there anything else I should do.

Thanks for any help.

Brooksie
0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

No problem, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Thanks Chris,

I normally use Ethernet as it's supposed to be more stable but no problem just using Wi-Fi and I don't have any other ethernet devices to test the connection. As I use Wi-Fi in other upstairs rooms, and it is now slow, my next decision is whether to buy another Powerline adapter or research whether Wi-Fi extender can be added upstairs (ie some distance from router but near Powerline.

Thanks for your help.

Brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 3 of 34

OK thanks. If wifi is OK it may just be an issue with Ethernet connectivity on the PC. Is it a problem to just continue using wifi and not bother with Ethernet? If you do want to troubleshoot the Ethernet connection it would be good if you could get hold another Ethernet device to test with

Chris

Message 4 of 34

Correct. Ethernet is disabled.

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

OK, so you're not actually using anything connected by Ethernet at the moment?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 34

Yes but I've disabled it so the connection defaults to wireless via the Powerline adapter.

Brooksi1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

Hi brooksie1,

Thanks for the update. Is this PC the only device you connect by Ethernet?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 34

Hi Chris,

I've now re-configured my Powerline adapters and achieved some success. My PC is now running around 55mbps wireless but the ethernet still struggles to reach 40. As I've moved my Powerline adapters the other downside is the wireless in some rooms is pretty poor so it looks like I may have to buy another adapter or wifi extender.

Brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Message 10 of 34

Will do but it may not be today.

Brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 11 of 34

OK, please let us know how you get on 🙂

Chris

Message 12 of 34

This is what I suspected and after some research it appears my wireless adapter is single band and therefore doesn't support 5g and higher rates. I'm going to try changing my network around and re-start my Powerline adapters. If that fails I may opt for a cheap dual band USB wireless adapter and if that works go for a new wireless card.

Thanks for your help.

Brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

OK, no problem. The slower speeds on the PC could be due to the wireless adapter, it's difficult to say without further testing 

Chris

Message 14 of 34

Sorry Chris but it's not really practical.

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Thanks for the information 

Are you able to temporarily move the PC nearer to the router just to see if this makes any difference to the speed?

Chris

Message 16 of 34

Thanks Chris,

Sorry for the delay but my PC is a Dell Inspiron 620, about 9 years old and running Windows 10.

brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 17 of 34

OK thanks. Approximately how old is your PC? Which version of Windows is it running?

Chris

Message 18 of 34

They are wireless powerline adapters but as wireless is slower I have connected the ethernet cable.

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 19 of 34

OK thanks. So just to confirm, are they wireless powerline adapters (not connected to the PC via Ethernet cable)?

Chris

Message 20 of 34

My PC is on the first floor and the router on the ground floor but I have TP-Link Powerline adapters installed next to the router and next to my PC. I've also noticed there is a speed difference between Ethernet & wireless. Ethernet is around 38 and wireless about 28.

Brooksie
0 Likes