FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed to router

brooksie1
Conversation Starter
Message 34 of 34

I've recently upgraded from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 but find no difference in speed. I have turned my router off for over 30 minutes but there wasn't any difference. When I go to Service Centre it shows speed to router as 51mb but running a speedtest I only get about 38. I'm connected via Ethernet so is there anything else I should do.

Thanks for any help.

Brooksie
0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 21 of 34

OK thanks. approximately how far away is your PC from your router? Are they in the same room? Are they on the same floor of the house?

Chris

Message 22 of 34

Thanks Chris,

I get speeds of between 35 & 40 on my desktop which is good but less than the estimated speed of 50+ I should be getting. My desktop is not located near any electrical devices except usual office & PC stuff like printer etc.

Brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 23 of 34

Hi brooksie1,

Unless the the 2.4GHz band is congested you should still receive good speeds even if the wireless adapter is unable to connect to the 5GHz band. Is your desktop situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris

Message 24 of 34

Thanks for your email. I've now done as you suggested and it made no difference. I think it's pointing to my wireless adapter not being man enough to handle 5g.

Rgds

brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 25 of 34

Hi brooksie1

It should show in the wireless settings on your device the 5ghz and 2.4ghz. It may be worth factory resetting your router and then splitting the SSID's again?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 26 of 34

Thanks for your reply.

The SSID names are the same except one has 5g after it but it doesn't show any connected devices whereas the 2.4g shows my PC, phone & tablet.

Rgds

brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 27 of 34

Hi brooksie1

Thanks for your reply. Have you split the SSID's on the router?

Apologies I'm not sure in regards to your computer. One of our Community Members may be able to help with this.

Thanks

Debbie 

Message 28 of 34

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for your email.
The speed hasn't increased but I've been checking speeds in various parts of the house on my tablet and it's around 50 so I'm wondering whether the wireless adaptor on my desktop is the culprit. My tablet picks up a 5g connection to my router but my desktop doesn't. My desktop has Dell wireless 1502 802.11b,g,n installed. Do you know if this is capable of 5g or do I need to upgrade it.

Thanks

brooksie1

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 29 of 34

Hi brooksie1

I'm sorry for the delay.

The line is in sync at 57.1mb. Has the throughput speed increased since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 30 of 34

Yes, for about 40 minutes

Brooksie
0 Likes

Message 31 of 34

Hi brooksie1,

Could I just confirm, was the router switched off for a full 30 minutes as this will reset the current session?

Thanks

Message 32 of 34

I've turned router off & on and run Talktalk speedtest a few times. The download results were 18, 27, 37 & 38. The upload was fairly constant at 11.

Brooksie
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 33 of 34

Hi brooksie1,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and I can see that DLM is still currently optimising the connection. Would it be possible to try one more 30 minute router power down and then run a wired speed test using the TalkTalk Speed Tester please?

Thanks