FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speeds keep dropping

tim8352
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my internet connection speed; what happens is my broadband connection speed will just drop from its usual speeds of approx 40mbs all the way down to anything between 0.2 and 5mbs, if i reboot the router they will go back up to the full speed again for approx a day or 2 before dropping again, i have been battling with it on this instance for around 2-3 weeks now as there have been works in the local area in this time where fibre optic cable is being laid to every house(virgin media i think looking at the logo on the covers) i thought it may be related.... but even when they had finished my street and the ones nearby between me and the exchange the fault still occurs. It must be at least the 6th-7th time I've had this problem in 10 years, i have done all the usual tests they make you do when you call the help line, using test socket listening for a quiet line, unplugging everything but the router, changing filter etc etc and nothing prevents it from failing, in the past a new router did cure the issue for me on 3 of the occasions so maybe the router has met the end of its lifespan? please can you help, also is the fibre something to do with talk talk that would be an option to switch to in the very near future?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

Virgin have their own network so we would not have access to their cables.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi, many thanks, miraculously ever since i reported the fault it hasn't reoccurred, in fact Ive had the best speeds Ive ever seen. maybe in testing the lines you have cleared the issue somehow. can i also re-ask, is it possible for talk talk to use the new fibre optic lines that have been laid or are they only for virgin to use?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 6

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 6

Hi, thanks for the reply, typically its been fine so far today in fact Ive had the best speeds Ive seen in months! but yes please if you could send me one to try and if it doesn't drop again ill try my old/current one again then if it drops we know its the router, if it help at all my current router is the HG633 hardware version H.1.01 software version v2.00t. many thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi tim,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Would you like us to send a different router for testing purposes?

Thanks