FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow ethernet speeds

richieboy
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 10

I am currently experiencing very slow ethernet speeds. I have done speed checks and get anywhere between 1mb up to 6mb but my Wifi is fine that averages between 50mb and 60mb.

I first noticed the speeds upstairs that run through powerline and tested both with low speeds.

I then tried an ethernet cable connected directly into the modem but was getting the same very slow speed. 

I have tested multiple ports on the modem and get the same results

I do not understand why I would get such slow speeds with ethernet but high speeds on the wifi.

any help to fix this would be much appreciated

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi richieboy,

Can you try disconnecting/switching off anything that connects to your router by wifi or Ethernet cable (bar one device) and run a couple of speed test on the My Account speed checker, on the device connected to your router by Ethernet cable - please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

As I said before I have asked the OCEs to get involved, but they do not work at weekends, please be patient, or use the call centre.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

richieboy
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 10

Considering Talktalk supply cat5 I didn't think that would be the problem, especially as I have had this equipment and the cables for a long time  

That being said I tested the speed again today just to see if it was a glitch and managed 4.5mb on ethernet and over 50 on WiFi.

My son has always had the xbox plugged in via ethernet ad it normally provides a better more stable connection than WiFi. My second talktalk tv box is also connected via ethernet upstairs. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Apologies (to all!) for hijacking the thread. Something Keith stated here piqued my interest!

Though Cat 6 (Cat 7 too!) is without doubt better and more robust with regards performance, interference from external sources, cross-talk etc, I was under the belief that Cat 5e was developed for use with 1Gb ethernet? i.e. that Cat 5e is (broadly) the same as Cat 5 but with the blue and brown pairs having similar turns per inch (turns per cm in today's world!) as the orange and green pairs to allow high speed data transfer on all four pairs?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Fair enough, but the spec dictates Cat 6, some people get away with Cat5e, I would expect problems though if only Cat5. Still I will ask the OCEs to check your router our.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

I wouldn't expect the cables to be the problem as I have had the modem for a long time and  I have never had a problem until now. I have also tested with the cables that were provided by talktalk. As you asked though they are cat5, but as I said that is what talktalk provided me with

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

As the hub supports Gigabit Ethernet, you need to use Cat6 cabling as anything less can introduce errors & slow you down. Check the markings on your Ethernet cables for their Cat rating.

Keith

Message 8 of 10

I have the Talktalk WiFi Hub 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

What make/model of router are you using?

Keith