FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi optimisation

Nemesisrecon
First Timer
Message 11 of 11

Right lets get to the bottom of this

i have been with talktalk for years and to be honest their support and understanding of problems is a complete joke was texted 5 times last week telling me my complaint call will happen and it never did

right on to the problem

all you people asking for wifi optimisation to be turned off does not exists as far as i am aware

there is a line optimisation when you set up your account and that's it

why i know is i have security cameras watching my home and i use channel 3 for all of them and never have an issue viewing them remotely or on my home network

i log into the not so  smart talktalk hub and set my channel to 3 as no one else in my area uses 3 as every one else  is on channels 1,6 and 11 the stupid router defaults of virtually every  router manufacturer in the world

when i ask talktalk to turn off the so called wifi optimisation they say there is no such thing i ask and continue to ask if i set my channel to 3 why does it automatically change  to 11 within hours

the fools in the call center say its because its the least congested channel which is a complete lie

i have hardware to scan the area and no one out of 16 different connections in my street uses channel 3 so no reason to change to channel 11 as that's the most congested channel

you over ride the auto channel selection in the router and it re sets its itself to 11 the most congested channel in the area within hours for no reason

i am sick of ringing customer support to get this rectified and pointed out to them it must be a flaw in their router software but as usual companies don't want to admit they make a simple fix so hard to fix with a firmware update their solution to me was to buy a third party router.. why should i do that when they charged nearly £100 for this not so smart hub junk

so talktalk  lets see if you read and understand what i'm asking here

i want to keep my wifi channel set to channel 3 and not change to any other channel are you going to admit you have a problem with your routers and they for what ever reason  reset to channel 11 even when they have been manually set to a preferred channel and there is no way to fix this

a await a honest answer and a solution from someone who actually knows what they are are being asked

if my tone sounds somewhat harsh it is as I'm sick and tired of getting nowhere with your so called tec support and maybe others on here will see what a joke of a company you really are and you say anything to fool no so tec savvy customers

your tec support did not even know what an ip camera was and how to port forward 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 2 of 11

Thank you

Message 3 of 11

Hi

Optimisation is run from a cloud system that works with a component on your current model of router.

This cannot be turned off by the end user but remotely from our system.  This would turn back on if another router of the same model where connected, or if you factory reset the current router.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 4 of 11

Hi Debbie  firstly i would like to thank you

I changed my channel  to 3 last night and just checked now and still on channel 3

i don't understand that for nearly 18 months i have had to put up with this problem and could not get talktalk tec support to understand my problem or even listen to me correctly but i come on here and within a day the issue is sorted

something needs to be addressed with the so called tec team

this optimisation causes unnecessary  problems  and should be something that a user should be able to switch off

so is the optimisation a setting in the router somewhere or a hidden setting users cannot access

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi Nemesisrecon

Please let us know how the connection compares now the WIFI optimisation has been switched off.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 6 of 11

I know why they use 1,6 and 11 but seeing all the other neighbours around me have their router channels set to theses numbers they all fight for  the same channel 3 or 4 will be on say channel 11 rest on 1 and 6 the routers all seem to be on auto channel selection so they are constantly changing channels

i do a scan i pick up peoples networks 20 houses away as they have no idea on how to set up networks they just all seem to leave on default factory settings

channel 3 works fine for me and my security cameras do not drop out or lose signal.when i had the old talktalk router i could set channel and never a problem we are talking over 10 years i have had cameras new and old set to channel 3  only the smart hub causes this problem.i have been told the optimization has been turned off which i find strange as my channel was on 6 this morning so i have re set it to 3 again and see if this is cured..i don't understand why talktalk tec support give so many different conflicting answers. i read on hear about the optimization the other year and told tec support about these threads and they said no such thing but i post this rant on here and it supposedly dealt with within hours.. so something does not make sense..

0 Likes

Mr Bear 1
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 11

I suspect the term "WiFi Optimisation" was dreamed up by a failed markerting minion because it does the opposite of optimising connections as it changes channel from whatever the user selects. It's something that the Sagemcom router from TalkTalk suffers from and which can only be turned off remotely. The Huawei equivalent doesn't have this problem: set the channel on it and it does as its told.

As for your use of the 2.4GHz channel 3, I'm glad that I don't live near you. Take a read of https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11/ or any similar article to see why channels 1, 6 and 11 are the correct ones to choose.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 11

Hi Nemesisrecon

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I have switched the WIFI optimisation off.

Thanks

Debbie

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 11

Hi again

Prepare for TalkTalk Support by updating your Community  MY PROFILE

• Select your avatar top right, MY SETTINGS, Personal Information, and include:
  • Your name, current TalkTalk home 'phone number (unless taking a full-fibre non voice service). An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add your email address, full-fibre customer account number, if relevant, and notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

I'll request that Wi-Fi optimisation is switched off on your TalkTalk Hub. TalkTalk Support will confirm when that's done.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

The bottom line is that this isn't an email service issue so I'll move the topic to the Fibre broadband forum where the issue of Wi-Fi channels can be sorted.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes