FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi range

amitg
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

Hi, we upgraded to fibre 65 last year. Speed is good near the router, but wifi does not reach upstairs and the back of the house. 
will a new router help or wifi extender?

Router is Huawei HG 633

Thanks

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 8

Hi amitg

Would you like me to send a different make and model of router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

You wouldn't need to specifically use one sold by TalkTalk, there are plenty of Wi-Fi range extenders and powerline Wi-Fi adaptors available elsewhere (on Amazon for example).

A powerline adaptor like this for example (I'm not specifically recommending this product, or saying it is the right one for you, it is just an example of the type of thing you could use). This has one unit that you plug in next to the router and connect to the router with an ethernet cable, you can then plug the other unit into any plug socket in your home that is on the same electrical mains circuit. This specific example one will then broadcast a Wi-Fi signal from that second unit, and also has an ethernet socket on the second unit, so you could connect something to it 'wired' if you wanted to as well.

You can also buy range extenders / repeaters, these are just a single socket that you plug in roughly half way between where your router is, and where you want to get the signal to, these just pick up the Wi-Fi signal from the router and rebroadcast it, hopefully allowing it to reach where you want to get the signal.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply. My router is kept downstairs connected to the main telephone socket . So I’m not sure I can move it upstairs as you suggest . 
I want to try a WiFi extender but it’s not available in the accessories store . Should I wait or are there any alternate available elsewhere .

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for your reply . I feel I should try a WiFi extender to get good WiFi in our room upstairs. Unfortunately they are not available on the accessories store . Where and when would these be available?

Thanks 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 8

Hi amitg,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

I have used the HG635, HG633 and the latest Huawei HUB (DG8041W)

All provided virtually identical WiFi signal strength throughout my home.

The latest routers that have beamforming may be slightly better, but as they are all limited as to their power output you cannot change the laws of physics regarding distance and attenuation through solid surfaces.

However, they all seem to radiate downwards better than upwards, therefore my router lives in a spare room upstairs.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @amitg,

The newer Wi-Fi Hubs do have better Wi-Fi range that the older routers. I've personally used the HG633, and both of the newer hubs (the Huawei and the Sagemcom) can get Wi-Fi to rooms in my home that the HG633 could not.

However it is hard to say if it will make a big enough difference for you, it really depends how far away from your router you are trying to get the signal. A Wi-Fi extender will likely give you a stronger signal in more distant areas of the house, but it may be that one of the newer hubs may give you an acceptable signal anyway.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.