NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eero - isn't it supposed to be smart?

dcookster
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 12

Recently signed up to the 900m service and all seems to be working well.  However, my WiFi on a couple of devices can change significantly.

Testing at home in the morning when nobody is on the network I get 500+ but the same scenario early afternoon less than 150 and this is consistent as I have tested for a few weeks.

I can only think it is channel related, I thought Eero had smart channel selection built-in as you cannot change manually.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi dcookster 

The Sky Q connection to the eero 6 is currently set for 2.4GHz which is the default for Sky Q boxes not connected to a Sky Hub.

What you're looking to prove is that the Channel 36 in the 5GHz band is being broadcast by the Sky Q box. So, just use the Wi-Fi analyser on your phone to see what happens when you power off the Sky Q box.

You may not be able to disable that broadcast but as I mentioned it'll not be impacting the 5GHz throughput speed to any significant extent if it's not being used to carry data from the Sky Box to a mini-box extender.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

dcookster
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 12

What am I looking for if I switch-off the Sky Box?  This is the info from Eero.

Screenshot_20220502-130129_eero.jpgScreenshot_20220502-130159_eero.jpg

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

To prove that the Channel 36 usage is from the Sky Q Box, just switch off Sky Q temporarily.  But if the channel is not in active use then it'll make very little difference to the throughput of the device connecting to the eero.

0 Likes

dcookster
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 12

I don't have the mini box

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Sky Q uses a 2.4 GHz connection (only) to connect your Sky Q box to your existing Wi-Fi network/broadband connection and a 5 GHz connection to connect your Sky Q box to Sky Q Mini boxes.  So, what you're seeing is the Sky Q mini box link.

0 Likes

dcookster
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 12

I do have Sky Q but it looks like it's connected via 2.4GHz

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi dcookster 

Given that both the signal strength at -50dBm is good and the link speed at 720Mbps is really good there would be no trigger for the eero to automatically change the channel range.

Do you have SkyQ that uses Channel 36? 

The other 3 channels in the group would be used in the case of overriding interference just on channel 36. The throughput speed would be slightly lower and if all channels in that part of the band were impacted i.e. 36, 40, 44, 48 then there are alternate 5GHz channels that the eero would use: 100-112 and 149-161.

0 Likes

dcookster
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 12

Screenshot_20220501-144207_WiFi Analyzer.jpg

How do I change the channel on Eero?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

The gateway speed of 900Mbps is excellent and so long as the mesh connected eero has got a good connection to the gateway eero then we're down to troubleshooting the individual device connection and seeing if this can be improved.

dcookster
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 12

Thanks, there is no problem to the gateway its 900+ and the devices are situated on different floors of the house.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi dcookster 

You'll have the tri-band eero Pro 6 routers so there's plenty of wireless spectrum to use for your devices. Make sure the two eeros aren't too close to each other or you'll experience one interfering with the other. 

You can select a device in the eero app to see what the Connection is i.e. 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz and start troubleshooting with a Wi-Fi analyser app if you think there's a Wi-Fi interference issue causing a slowdown.

Carry out a speed test to check the speeds at the gateway eero router.

On the eero app:

• Select the Home tab
  • Select Internet Provided by TalkTalk
  • Then the blue button Run speed test

eero Home tab - Internet _Provided by TalkTalkeero Home tab - Internet _Provided by TalkTalk

eero Home tab - Internet - Run speed testeero Home tab - Internet - Run speed test

You'll then get a speed test that indicates speeds to the gateway eero Pro 6.

In my case, I'm on the Future Fibre 150 and the Download is 152Mbps and upload 33Mbps.

For device testing I like to get a quick check via Fast.com but the TalkTalk speed tester is your normal test.

0 Likes