NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Free upgrade - IMPLICATIONS?

JDogg
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Hi All

Talktalk have been harrassing me for some time to take up the free FTTP upgrade. I've been deliberating but have a few questions - maybe those of you who've been through the process can help?

1. I currently have Fibre65 (FTTC) and a landline via ADSL. Do I lose my landline with the upgrade?

2. What are Talktalk's landline options for those on FTTP?

3. Talktalk says my current contract and price won't change, but what happens at the end of my contract? Am I now obligated to take an expensive FTTP contract because I upgraded or can I go back to FTTC fibre if want?

4. Does the upgrade tie you to Talktalk for any period beyond your current contract?

In my experience, free is never really free. Any advice you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi 1cress 

TalkTalk haven't published any 'additional' pricing for Digital Voice (VOIP) services. Just as there is no separate charge for a current voice service. It's included as part of the selected broadband package. I'm not saying that there isn't going to be differential pricing making it cheaper to take FTTP without voice i.e. the current Future Fibre Data Only packages.

When VOIP is provided then there is just the one handset port for Digital Voice on the Wi-Fi Hub 2 or one port on the Grandstream Telephone Adaptor. You can plug in a 'phone Base Station Unit that provides service via DECT to multiple handsets in the house.

If you're offered the option of retaining the existing landline for voice services then your current handsets will be used in exactly the same way as now, plugged in to extension sockets. But when BT Openreach withdraw the voice over landline service then you'll need to go with the Digital Voice option.

Sky boxes haven't required connection to a landline for some time. If you have that, it's redundant.

How many power sockets do you need for Future Fibre?  A minimum of 2 for Future Fibre Data Only and 3 or 4 when the package includes Digital Voice.

For Future Fibre Data Only you'll need one power socket for the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and one power socket for the eero or Wi-Fi Hub.  You may of course need extra power sockets for added equipment like an Ethernet Network Switch to expand the wired connectivity of the gateway eero - that's the primary eero connected to the ONT.

The Future Fibre Installation help page suggests 4 power sockets. That's for Future Fibre with eero and Digital Voice (VOIP) provided via a Digital voice adapter (DVA) and where you may need a power socket for a DECT 'phone Base Station. Power for the ONT, eero, DVA and 'phone base station. If using a standard corded 'phone plugged into the DVA then only 3 power sockets are needed.

An alternative installation for Future Fibre is with the Wi-Fi Hub 2 with built in Digital Voice (VOIP). That requires 2 sockets to power the ONT and Wi-Fi Hub 2. A third power socket would be required for a DECT 'phone Base Station plugged in to the green 'phone socket at the back of the Wi-Fi Hub 2. 

To offer a 'phone service in the event of a power outage the power units for the ONT and Wi-Fi Hub 2 can be replaced with uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) that switch from mains to rechargeable battery power during outages to give at least an hour of broadband and digital voice service. The home 'phone plugged into the green 'phone socket at the back of the Wi-Fi Hub 2 should either be a standard corded 'phone or a 'phone Base Station that has its own battery backup. In the latter case that will need an additional power socket.

The Future Fibre Support Hub is your go-to resource for information, guides and LiveChat with the Future Fibre Team.

Future Fibre Support Hub

Future Fibre Help

Future Fibre - Installation

Future Fibre - Set up your Wi-Fi Hub 2

Future Fibre - Battery back up units for Wi-Fi Hub 2 and ONT

Future Fibre - Digital voice adapter and eero

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Gondola

I have exactly the same problem as JDogg (Fibre65 (FTTC) and a landline via ADSL and being harassed to have FTTP upgrade).

I currently have 3 landline handsets in different parts of the house and a landline connection to my Sky box. TalkTalk say I can have 1 handset connected to VOIP (at extra monthly cost!) and the other 2 would have to be Bluetooth (an extra cost!). No mention of what to do with the Sky box.

“Your Future Fibre equipment will need to be plugged in, so you'll need 4 power sockets close to where you'd like it to be installed”

Why so many sockets? I will have to get an electrician to install them (an extra cost!).

As JDogg says: free is hardly ever free. This is hardly a free upgrade.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Sidious 

Good to have your contribution.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

"

Everyone will ultimately lose the ability to use a landline for voice between now and 2025 when BT Openreach plan to withdraw current services and replace them with Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) or voice services over broadband.

For areas where BT do not plan an imminent withdrawal of voice over landline, TalkTalk may offer you the ability to continue to use the Master socket and landline to provide voice over MPF or Metallic Path Facility / conventional landline.

"

I know this post relates to the installing of fibre to the home/premises and therefore would make the metallic cabling redundant, but  Gondola's reply sort-of covers a discussion I had with a BT Openreach engineer some weeks back. To be clear, Openreach engineers (and the subcontractors they use) don't always get things right (as I've found out for myself - long story!) and/or sometimes BT change their plans which may make what I was told inaccurate (at best) or plain Pete Tong wrong (at worst).

While there is going to be the removal of the PSTN (the switched telephony system we know and love/hate) in or around 2025, I've been told (by aforementioned Openreach Engineer) that the landlines (as in the physical metallic conductor cables) from home to pole and/or underground to the PCP cabinet will still be used for IP (Internet) in the case there is no fibre coming to the home/premises for whatever reason. It's just that they won't carry the voice-band signals as they do now; the telephony will use IP connections, essentially the telephone data will be "internet-ised".

Gondola does specifically say "for voice" in his reply (which I've highlighted in the quotes above) to be fair.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi Justin

The Future Fibre team will tell you exactly what's being offered but let's try and give you a heads up before you talk to that team.

1. I currently have Fibre65 (FTTC) and a landline via ADSL. Do I lose my landline with the upgrade?

Everyone will ultimately lose the ability to use a landline for voice between now and 2025 when BT Openreach plan to withdraw current services and replace them with Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) or voice services over broadband.

For areas where BT do not plan an imminent withdrawal of voice over landline, TalkTalk may offer you the ability to continue to use the Master socket and landline to provide voice over MPF or Metallic Path Facility / conventional landline.

2. What are Talktalk's landline options for those on FTTP?

TalkTalk may offer you voice over MPF or for areas where there is a date for withdrawal of voice over landline, TalkTalk may offer you VOIP and the use of the landline will cease. Or you can choose to take broadband without voice service.

3. Talktalk says my current contract and price won't change, but what happens at the end of my contract? Am I now obligated to take an expensive FTTP contract because I upgraded or can I go back to FTTC fibre if want?

As you have it in writing that your current contract and price will not change (subject to any annual inflation rises already built in to the contract's T&C's) then your upgraded service will continue at the monthly price you would pay to the end of the current contract.

In the last 90 days of the contract you can contact the Customer Loyalty Team to get their best offer for a renewal contract. You should get the same or better terms than new customers.

As for the downgrade option that may not be possible.  Those customers being offered free upgrades are usually connected to exchanges where BT Openreach have or will be applying a stop-sell date for any products using landline connections. Typically exchanges where at least 75% of customers have a full fibre connection available.

4. Does the upgrade tie you to Talktalk for any period beyond your current contract?

No. You'll be free to leave and switch provider in the normal way.

I hope the above will help you in your discussions on the best way forward into the future.

The Future Fibre Support Hub is your go-to resource for information, guides and LiveChat with the Future Fibre Team.

Future Fibre Support Hub

LiveChat to the Future Fibre team

Opening hours are here:  When to contact TalkTalk?

TIP - Scroll down the Future Fibre Support Hub page to GET IN TOUCH. if you don't see a blue Chat now button then pause tracker blocking in the browser, ad-blockers or similar blocking software to avoid conflict with LiveChat's operation.

Calls to the Future Fibre team on 0345 172 0074 are free from a TalkTalk home 'phone but otherwise are at a standard landline call rate or included in your UK mobile allowance.

Future Fibre Help

Future Fibre - Installation

Future Fibre - Set up your Wi-Fi Hub

Future Fibre - Set up your Wi-Fi Hub 2

Future Fibre - Battery back up unit for Wi-Fi Hub 2 and ONT

Future Fibre - Digital voice adapter and eero