NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP installation details

MarkDirac
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 4

Several queries please:

1. Am I allowed to position my router many meters from the Fibre Connection Box (over ethernet), or does it have to be positioned right next to the FCB?
  2. Why do I need to provide TWO mains sockets? Is one just for a router?
  3. Can the TWO sockets be via a mains extension block? Or does it have to be a double wall socket?
  4. Talktalk say that voice is not available with FTTP. However, I need a landline, and so Talktalk said they would provide one with FTTP. How do they do this? Does the Amazon router have a VoIP port? Or do Talktalk provide a separate VoIP adapter? Is this perhaps why I need TWO mains sockets?
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Morning,

To be honest I'm not too sure specifically how close this has to be, but the engineer should be able to advise on this and go over your options for where you would like it to be installed.

Thanks

MarkDirac
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 4

Thank you Michelle - that's really helpful.

How close does the mains socket need to be to the ONT?  e.g. 4m? e.g. 2m? Or right next to it - e.g. 40cm?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 4

Hello,

1. Yes this would be fine.

2. Two power sockets are required as one will be for the ONT and the other for the router.

3. Ideally this would be a double main socket but the engineer can advise and confirm on the installation day.

4. If you are using an eero then this would be via a digital voice adapter - Digital Voice Adapter and a 3rd socket would be required.

Thanks