NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 150 voip

Jubz0800
Team Player
Message 12 of 12

I will be upgrading from FTTC to FTTP 150 plan with VOIP. My question is regarding VOIP. Will I receive a VOIP phone or just an adaptor that will convert it to a DSL type connector that goes into the eero box? Also, emails that I have received states that I must have 4 sockets free before installation. I understand this is for:

1X ONT Modem

1X Eero router

What about the other two additional sockets? 

S
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

All I'm saying is there is definitely an increase in power consumption comparison with fttc. With Virgin you only need to power the wireless router directly the hub 5 has a direct coax cable input

S
0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Focus on the purpose for the UK to be moving to full fibre because it has the capability to deliver better service. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Super Duper Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I can’t see an ONT and VOIP adapter costing anything more than a router to run. The ONT is effectively your Modem fixed to the wall. An ONT is an optical terminal that requires power to cover the fibre signal to an Ethernet connection internally. Coax from Virgin is a different thing altogether. That said you still needed to power the Virgin Router so I see no difference.

0 Likes

Jubz0800
Team Player
Message 4 of 12

I have read that the running cost of the ONT and VOIP adaptor is around around £120 extra year when 24/7? Why couldn't openreach make things simpler? When I had virgin years ago all thay did was feed the cable to the house and there was no need to power an "ONT" at all times just needs to be screwed directly to a splitter and then to the router/tv box. This seems like it only benefits the telecom companies to boost profits.

S
0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Openreach don't supply the Ethernet cable to connect the ONT to the eero 6. There is a Cat5e Ethernet cable of length 900mm that comes with the eero.

For anything longer that's a user responsibility. 

My install is fairly typical. Customer Splice Point (CSP) at the front of the house to connect the incoming fibre. ONT fitted on the internal wall. The important thing to remember is that the fibre optic cable between CSP and ONT is fixed in place. It's not robust enough to be moved or even unplugged from the ONT. When fitted the engineer carefully cleans the optical connector on the fibre optic to ensure it's not compromised by specks of dust. 

The installation was tested with the eero close to the ONT. 

I sourced a 15m length of Cat 7 flat Ethernet cable to run under flooring from the ONT to my preferred location for the eero. 

That part of the installation was carried out by ourselves. 

Every home is unique. Have a think about where you would like the eero and how to connect to the ONT. The engineer will advise what they can do regarding ONT placement. 

Don't forget that the gateway eero connected to the ONT is part of a potential mesh network. You can order an additional eero to place in your preferred location in another room and this eero connects to the gateway eero via hidden Wi-Fi channels. No hidden Ethernet cable or Powerline adaptors and no holes drilled or furniture etc moved. 

0 Likes

Jubz0800
Team Player
Message 6 of 12

If I choose to have my ONT located in a different room will the engineer provide me with an ethernet cable at the correct length to the router or do I have to buy and install this myself which may mean drilling further holes?

S
0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi Jubz0800 

The upgrade on the Openreach network would normally be provisioned with the eero package with the DVA for Digital Voice. So, as Michelle says, if you'd prefer the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub 2 then that would be a special order that you'd need to agree and arrange in advance with the Future Fibre Sales team. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hello,

If you specifically would like a VOIP service then I'd suggest speaking to our Sales Team directly first to see if this is available for you. As far as I am aware you don't have a choice to what equipment you would receive, as this would either be eero with digital voice adapter or a Wifi Hub 2 but the Sales Team may be able to order a specific router for you, but I would ask them to confirm this first prior to ordering.

Thanks

Jubz0800
Team Player
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for clearing that up. Can I request a wifi router with built in voip?

S
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 12

Hi Jubz0800 

TalkTalk don't offer any 'phone handsets but will supply with an eero package a Digital Voice Adapter into which you plug a corded handset or base station for DECT handsets.

How many power sockets do you need for Future Fibre?  A minimum of 2 for Future Fibre Data Only and 3 or 4 when the package includes Digital Voice.

For Future Fibre Data Only you'll need one power socket for the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and one power socket for the eero or Wi-Fi Hub.  You may of course need extra power sockets for added equipment like an Ethernet Network Switch to expand the wired connectivity of the gateway eero - that's the primary eero connected to the ONT.

The Future Fibre Installation help page suggests 4 power sockets. That's for Future Fibre with eero and Digital Voice (VOIP) provided via a Digital voice adapter (DVA) and where you may need a power socket for a DECT 'phone base station. Power for the ONT, eero, DVA and 'phone base station. If using a standard corded 'phone plugged into the DVA then only 3 power sockets are needed.

An alternative installation for Future Fibre is with the Wi-Fi Hub 2 with built in Digital Voice (VOIP). That requires 2 sockets to power the ONT and Wi-Fi Hub 2. A third power socket would be required for a DECT 'phone base station plugged in to the green 'phone socket at the back of the Wi-Fi Hub 2. 

To offer a 'phone service in the event of a power outage the power units for the ONT and Wi-Fi Hub 2 can be replaced with uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) that switch from mains to rechargeable battery power during outages to give at least an hour of broadband and digital voice service. The home 'phone plugged into the green 'phone socket at the back of the Wi-Fi Hub 2 should either be a standard corded 'phone or a base station that has its own battery backup. In the latter case that will need an additional power socket.

The Future Fibre Support Hub is your go-to resource for information, guides and LiveChat with the Future Fibre Team.

Future Fibre Support Hub

Future Fibre Help

Future Fibre - Installation

Future Fibre - Set up your Wi-Fi Hub 2

Future Fibre - Battery back up units for Wi-Fi Hub 2 and ONT

Future Fibre - Digital voice adapter and eero

0 Likes

speedygonzalez
Problem Solver
Message 11 of 12

DIGITAL VOICE

You should be supplied with a Grandstrean HT801 VOIP Adaptor. This takes an ethernet connection from your router and converts it to a phone connection. 

see: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Digital-Voice-Adapter/ta-p/2815435 

Power sockets

• needs one within  1m of where the ONT is installed. 
  • Second socket for the router, which can be near the ONT or further away as its just an ethernet  connection between ONT and Router. 
  • Third socket for the VOIP ATA adaptor
  • a forth socket, if you need a DECT basestation for phone or Powerline adaptor. 

You have the choice at install to locate the ONT where you want.  So more options with where you site your router and the VOIP ATA. 

I haD my FTTP installed few weeks ago, ONT is 20M away from my router and VOIP ATA.  

Take a look here for some info on my install, will give you idea of your options. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Future-Fibre/CityFibre-appointment-text-setting-time-for-upgrade... 

0 Likes