NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Fibre Installation

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 33 of 33

I have placed an order for future fibre but plan to cancel if the installation involves damaging my driveway etc.

I am hoping that as my existing cabling comes to the premises underground and there are no poles on the street/estate where we live, that the fibre will use the existing ducting.

Our property is only about 60 metres away from the cabinet which is where the old cabinet was.

There are no signs whatsoever anywhere on our street of any work being done above the surface.

Has anyone had a full fibre installation using existing underground ducting ? 

Hop I don't have to cancel.

Thanks

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Thanks Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 33

Hi noodles,

If you do need any further assistance please let us know

Chris

0 Likes

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 33

Thanks for that.

The router etc. only arrived mid afternoon the day before the installation date so I didn't know much about the eero router till I opened the box.

I am now looking into the network switch and its good to know it works. Then book another install date.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 33

I might be a bit of a `charlie come lately` on this thread and ive not read it all from the start but what Ive seen is the problem is about spare/ports on the router. I just bought a NETGEAR 8 Port Gigabit Network Switch the other day. one lan port from router into splitter and 7 spare ports to use. All works fine. Problem solved

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 33

Hi Colin,

I cancelled the install yesterday afternoon after talking to the Openreach engineer who was very helpful.

I think with us wanting to keep our landline for now and the little box talktalk sent us needed connecting to one of the two Ethernet ports on the eero. The landline then plugged into the little box. The other Ethernet port on the eero then connects to the box supplied by Openreach. I think the landline may have to go. I think I could then connect an Ethernet adapter to the eero allowing me to use the four Ethernet cables that are connected to my current router. 
The engineer did say that up till recently they had connected future fibre to the Sagecom FAST 5364 router that I currently use.

I just wish I could have got more information as to the spec of the eero for instance and got a Ethernet 5 port connector before the installation date.

I now plan to speak to the future fibre team at TT to move forward.

Thanks Colin

0 Likes

Message 6 of 33

What happened with the install ?

0 Likes

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 33

Thanks, I think I will more than likely remain with talktalk as I have been with them for well over 15 years and I know that for value for money they take some beating.

I will more than likely give up on keeping the landline and look into getting an ethernet connector and get prepared better now I have more info. I will let you know. Thanks again.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 33

No worries. Good luck with whichever of BT or Sky you decide to go with, I don't believe any of their routers have more than 4 ports either.

0 Likes

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 33

Well you're entitled to your opinion and I do appreciate your help and advice but I can assure you I certainly wanted it to work.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 33

Oh well I give up, frankly you don't seem to want it to work.  😕

0 Likes

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 33

Its a Sagecom 5364-3 which the openreach engineer today said had been used up till recently for future fibre.

My problem has not been helped because I wanted to keep my landline which talktalk said I could and sent me a small box to connect to the eero then plug the landline phone into the box. Maybe I will have to give up on the landline idea, but I still want a router with four ports, not connecting another box to the router which I think is a backward step. BT and Sky have ports on the future fibre router I believe 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 33

Which router do you have currently? 

0 Likes

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 33

Thanks. 

Yes I understand so but the only way to get more information seems to be waiting for an openreach engineer to come to do the installation because talking to the talktalk future fibre team about issues seems to be a total waste of time.

The openreach engineer I spoke to today was very helpful but he can only discuss the installation. Any equipment queries can only be dealt with by talktalk apparently.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 33

You know you can use a different router rather that the eero, don't you?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 33

Thanks for your reply Chris, but it doesn't seem like progress to me, getting supposedly top router then buying and adding another piece of equipment and more cables so I have reluctantly cancelled my order this afternoon.

Roger

0 Likes

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 16 of 33

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for your positive comments and your kind offer.

Having looked at the eero router I really think its a backwards step especially as I understand that BT and sky provide a router with built in ethernet ports.

Whats made my problem worse is that I wanted to keep my landline and was sent an adaptor which connected to the eero with an ethernet cable and the landline phone plugged into the adaptor therefore using both the ports on the eero.

Even if I could use my existing router with its four ethernet ports and the WAN port then the landline would still not work.

The Openreach engineer said the copper cables to our property will remain, at least for the time being so why can't talktalk allow use of those cables.

I think if the eero router had more ports I could be tempted to ditch the landline. Adding an ethernet connection box to the eero is a backward step so I have reluctantly cancelled the installation.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 33

Hi noodles,

Thanks for the update, I'm sorry that the number of Ethernet ports doesn't meet your requirements but as Colin has said this is easily rectified and hopefully the improvement in service and other benefits of eero device will outweigh any downside 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 33

Yes indeed the process to get the FF product seems to cause a lot of frustration for a lot of people.
There is certainly a lot that can be improved upon.

However once set up and running correctly it is a very good connection...
is it worth putting up with the short term hassle, well that's a personal choice for you to take.

The Eero devices seems to divide opinion.
i kinda like them, but i was fortunate enough to be on the trial and have a mesh of 3 units.

As you comment they do only have a single usable Ethernet port as opposed to the 4 or so that you will find on a lot of other routers and this cant catch people out, however its easily resolved with a cheap switch which can be purchased for £20 or abouts of the Amazon. 
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PYSNSDD/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?...)
If you in the South East and not so far from Sittingbourne, i have a spare switch which i would be happy to donate.

noodles
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 33

Well tomorrow is installation day and the equipment arrived this afternoon after recieving a text this morning from Openreach telling me I should have received the equipment a few days before installation.

When I opened the parcel I was disappointed to see the eero router only has ONE spare ethernet port and my current router has four which are all in use. Spoke to someone in future fibre sales this evening who told me I could always buy an ethernet splitter or even use my current router ? I thought  the idea was the new eero router was to improve the future fibre experience.

I am annoyed that initially I was not informed that there is only one spare ethernet port on the eero router so I think when Openreach arrive tomorrow  I will be turning them away and cancelling my order. Its just not worth the hassle and after more than 15 years with talktalk I will be taking my business elsewhere as soon as I can after this experience.

Message 20 of 33

Hi noodles

Apologies for this.

The engineer will discuss the installation with you on the day of the visit.

0 Likes