NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Fibre installation requirements

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 18 of 18

Have been looking at the installation guidance for Future Fibre. 

I note that that it says 4 plug sockets are needed close to the installation. This seems like a stupid question but is there any problem if multi gang adaptors are used in a double socket to get to the required number?

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

You're more than welcome.

It's more the ceasing of the Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) that will move us all on to a full fibre service as POTS is withdrawn between now and 2025.  By then, the product won't be Future Fibre Broadband it'll be Fibre Broadband!

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 18

Thanks, Gondola. Think I'll be deferring any thought of switching to Future Fibre until such time as I've felt the need to update some other aspects of my technology!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Just to give an update on the current requirement for the iOS version.

The TalkTalk Content team have confirmed that the recommended software support is at least iOS 14 and the TalkTalk help page has just been updated.  Eero are in the process of updating their website content so that we're all aligned.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18
0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi calcotti 

I've not tested the Wi-Fi Hub 2 but I believe it is a Wi-Fi 4/5 device. The eero 6 and Pro 6 are Wi-Fi 6 devices.

Having seen differing advice from eero I have asked the Content team to check so that the TalkTalk help pages can be updated if needed. 

0 Likes

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 18

So the Wifi Hub2 avoids the need for separate VGA (and associated plug socket) and even when connected will still have 4 spare ethernet ports avoiding the need for a separate ethernet switch (and associated plug socket). Altogether the Hub 2 is therefore tidier. I’m guessing however that with the Sagemcom being developed from a piece of kit that is several years old now the eero may incorporate newer technology which is supposed to make it better.

Gondola, oddly on the App Store on my iPad it says, as mentioned earlier, the eero app needs OS14 but I’ve noticed it also says “will run on this iPad” which is running OS12!

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 18

Thanks too, Gondola. Sorry I’d overlooked that earlier link from you too. With hindsight I think I did see it but had then forgotten!

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 8 of 18

Thanks, Michelle. Don’t know how I missed that.

Message 9 of 18

Hi calcotti 

I'd given you the link for the Wi-Fi Hub 2 guide in post 2 in this thread.

On the issue of what iOS is required for setup that's a good spot about iOS 14. And in reviewing the Amazon eero help pages it's clear that clarification is needed.

This eero help page says iOS12

This eero help page says iOS13

The app store page says iOS14

I'll ask our Content team to chase this up with the eero Project Manager in TalkTalk

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 18

Actually the App Store says the eero app needs OS14 so it looks as if my antiquated iPad and absence of a smart phone would exclude me from FutureFibre with eero.

Can’t see any information on how the WiFi hub2 is setup (or how it compares with the eero other than the built in DVA).

0 Likes

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 18

My ‘pay grade’ comment was very much tongue in grade.

i know there is a lot of information around (although it can be difficult to sift through) hence my questions. My concern is more those who may just think that sounds good and go for the new package without realising there are potential problems depending on their situation.

Thanks for the suggestion on the eero. My iPad is too old for OS13 (you can tell I am not someone who chases the latest version of anything!) but hopefully the app will work on OS12.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Pay grade? What's that? I'm just a volunteer just here for the beer. And even that's in short supply! 

'calcotti' wrote:...This is all getting a bit over my technical pay grade! Makes me quite concerned about customers simply being contacted with promotional offers for FasterFibre without them knowing what is involved.

If customers need to know what's involved with Faster Fibre (which is an old legacy broadband package) or the latest Future Fibre packages then there's the Future Fibre Hub with lots of help content, there's this Community and in the front line is the Future Fibre team on LiveChat or on the 'phone to ask.

The eero Support Hub is your go-to resource for information, guides and Community support

Select here:
eero Support Hub

eero 6 and eero Pro 6 Help

eero - Setting up your eero

Good question about the eero setup.

What I did was to set up the Amazon account and download the eero app all via the existing Wi-Fi of the active broadband service.  Then connect the eero via its supplied Ethernet cable as a device connected to the existing broadband router whilst the existing broadband service was still active. My eero arrived 4 days ahead of go live and switchover to TalkTalk. The initial setup steps all completed just fine without having to use mobile data. So, I'd be confident that you could do the same using an iPad with iOS 13 or later. 

0 Likes

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 18

This is all getting a bit over my technical pay grade!

Makes me quite concerned about customers simply being contacted with promotional offers for FasterFibre without them knowing what is involved.

Have just noticed (somewhere) that it says you need an eero app on a smart phone to set up the eero. I don’t have a smart phone (have never felt the need). I can see the eero app can be installed on an iPad but can this work for the initial setup given that there will be no data connection to the wider world until the router is up and running so that the iPad can connect to it.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 15 of 18

Fibre 35 is normally supplied with the Huawei Wi-Fi Hub Black.

The Amazon eero 6 mesh router options are currently available on Future Fibre 150, 500 and 900 full fibre plans only.

The Wi-Fi Hub 2 is a Sagemcom 5464 that is supplied only for broadband packages that include Digital Voice (VoIP) which is when voice service is delivered via the broadband router.  The Hub 2 includes a 'phone connection to a built in Digital Voice Adapter (DVA).

The eero 6 and eero Pro 6 routers are designed as the gateway for a Total Home mesh Wi-Fi network where the connectivity for up to 75 devices is primarily via Wi-Fi. But if Ethernet connections are desired then it's easy at low cost to provide an unmanaged network switch to increase the wired connectivity.

If Digital Voice is part of the eero router package then a separate Digital Voice Adapter will be provided. 

A 'phone that works by plugging in to a Master socket can be used with either a standalone DVA or the Wi-Fi Hub2.

Call charging for Digital Voice (VoIP) is basically the same process as charging for conventional landline calls. At present there is no separate TalkTalk calls tariff for VoIP so refer to the currently published UK Call Costs / International Call Costs. 

Anything else you need to know about the Future Fibre installation, just ask.

0 Likes

calcotti
Whizz Kid
Message 16 of 18

Thanks for the quick reply. It’s amazing how every technology advance seems to make things more complicated?

I’ll try and digest and may be back with follow up questions.

I have a double socket which currently has multigangs for router, an extension lead for TV and various audiovisual equipment, the phone base station and a light. It seems I now need two extra outlets, one for the incoming box and one for the digital voice adaptor.

the count can be reduced by one if the Wi-fi Hub 2 is used because the DVA is build in. Is the Wi-fi Hub 2 a special order (the eero appears to be what you are promoting on the Future Fibre pages) or is the Hub2 the router we already have on the old Fibre35 package.

The eero appears to have only two ethernet connections. One is needed to connect to the incoming box and the other would be used for the DVA. This appears to leave no way of connecting an ethernet cable to a PLA (which I currently use but plugged in more remotely with a 3 metre Ethernet cable. From your reply it appears that an Ethernet Network Switch might be needed - meaning another plug socket. Quite frustrating that the eero has so few connections build in.

Much to think about.

Will the behaviour of an old phone with base station and answering machine be indistinguishable from the old copper line when used with a DVA?

I’m not clear how calls using a DVA are charged?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Hi calcotti 

Not a problem. The only issue to be aware of is when using multi-gang adaptors / extension sockets when those are fitted with surge suppression / filtering and you may need to use powerline adaptors (PLA's) in lieu of Ethernet cable connections. PLA's don't work well when plugged into surge suppression / filtered sockets.

How many power sockets do you need for Future Fibre?  A minimum of 2 for Future Fibre Data Only and 3 or 4 when the package includes Digital Voice.

For Future Fibre Data Only you'll need one power socket for the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and one power socket for the eero or Wi-Fi Hub.  You may of course need extra power sockets for added equipment like an Ethernet Network Switch to expand the wired connectivity of the gateway eero - that's the primary eero connected to the ONT.

The Future Fibre Installation help page suggests 4 power sockets. That's for Future Fibre with eero and Digital Voice (VOIP) provided via a Digital voice adapter (DVA) and where you may need a power socket for a DECT 'phone base station. Power for the ONT, eero, DVA and 'phone base station. If using a standard corded 'phone plugged into the DVA then only 3 power sockets are needed.

An alternative installation for Future Fibre is with the Wi-Fi Hub 2 with built in Digital Voice (VOIP). That requires 2 sockets to power the ONT and Wi-Fi Hub 2. A third power socket would be required for a DECT 'phone base station plugged in to the green 'phone socket at the back of the Wi-Fi Hub 2. 

To offer a 'phone service in the event of a power outage the power units for the ONT and Wi-Fi Hub 2 can be replaced with uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) that switch from mains to rechargeable battery power during outages to give at least an hour of broadband and digital voice service. The home 'phone plugged into the green 'phone socket at the back of the Wi-Fi Hub 2 should either be a standard corded 'phone or a base station that has its own battery backup. In the latter case that will need an additional power socket.

The Future Fibre Support Hub is your go-to resource for information, guides and LiveChat with the Future Fibre Team.

Future Fibre Support Hub

Future Fibre Help

Future Fibre - Installation

Future Fibre - Set up your Wi-Fi Hub 2

Future Fibre - Battery back up units for Wi-Fi Hub 2 and ONT

Future Fibre - Digital voice adapter and eero

0 Likes