NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How on earth can I keep my phone number

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

I've been with talk talk for a number of years with broadband and landline. The landline number is essential for me and no matter what I need it.

So my contract is due for renewal and found out I'm in a full fibre area. OK fair enough. But the issue is my phone number.

Talktalk can't provide a service with phone number.

However if I port number to a voip provider my internet would stop.

If I switch my broadband I would loose my number.

How on earth am I supposed to keep my number and have internet? Not issue it being on a voip provider but doesn't that close your talk talk account down.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Livewire10
Team Player
Message 1 of 20

Good to see that occasionally we do get good results. 

0 Likes

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 20

Luckily after some investigations I found an old email to someone in charge of numbering at Talk Talk.

They will retain my number and offer the  VOIP as an existing customer and the fibre broadband alongside.

Also the price is great that has been quoted as they matched alternatives that I have seen.

24 month contract but no price hikes.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 20

@Livewire10 The situation is changing all the time and keeping the MPF service pro tem can be an option in certain areas. As I said, the position is inconsistent at the moment. 

0 Likes

Livewire10
Team Player
Message 4 of 20

My situation was a bit different, in that I was still in contract when TalkTalk when they gave me a free upgrade to fibre. But I wanted my old landline, so they left that and ran the fibre in separately. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 20

@anthonyquery Have you actually checked with the Future Fibre team whether a voice service is available to you? Well worth doing if you haven't already done so, as different arrangements apply in different areas. Not ideal by any means, of course.

If you haven't, get on to them using the chat button towards the bottom of the page here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/FutureFibre/bd-p/FutureFibre

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 20

@anthonyquery wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted Sipgate who have confirmed they can port talk talk numbers to them. The issue is talk talk not allowing voip numbers in. So in essence I can switch my number out to them have the service disconnected and following day get whatever provider I want for broadband.

Really shocked how much a shambles this is that talk talk a telephone company doesn't provide a telephone service for it's customers. You can't talk on talk talk. Bit of a joke really.

TalkTalk are trialing VOIP as mentioned below so you can keep your number, but their charges are expensive compared to sipgate or Voipfone. We use Voipfone at work and it’s 1p a minute and no connection charge. Problem with trials is it may not be successful so who know what happens then. Ofcom, need to get involved and sort out the regulations for number transfers being separate to the fibre service.

0 Likes

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 20

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted Sipgate who have confirmed they can port talk talk numbers to them. The issue is talk talk not allowing voip numbers in. So in essence I can switch my number out to them have the service disconnected and following day get whatever provider I want for broadband.

Really shocked how much a shambles this is that talk talk a telephone company doesn't provide a telephone service for it's customers. You can't talk on talk talk. Bit of a joke really.

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 20

@benny55 wrote:

For what its worth, this is Ofcom's take on this change;

Upgrading landlines to digital technology – what you need to know - Ofcom

This is a further link from the same site;

FAQs – Future of Voice – Homepage

In the name of progress to keep your landline running in the event of a power cut you will need a UPS to power your router or alternatively if you are a vulnerable person your provider must supply a mobile device to use in an emergency.

So you have a landline and a traditional phone. In order to maintain the status quo, you must have a compatible router or an analog phone adapter connected to your router.  You must also have a UPS about the size of a house brick and a mobile phone just in case. Once upon a time we had a small unobtrusive white box on the wall and everything continued to work.

Most mobile service providers will cancel your SIM if it is not used for 60 days or more not sure how you overcome that especially if its only needed in the event of your VOIP service not being available and you find your SIM has been disconnected.

benny55
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 20

For what its worth, this is Ofcom's take on this change;

Upgrading landlines to digital technology – what you need to know - Ofcom

This is a further link from the same site;

FAQs – Future of Voice – Homepage

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

If it were me I'd read the VOIP websites you're quoting.

Yes you port a number to a VOIP service and your current broadband service will be ceased. Your broadband contract will be terminated along with liability to pay termination / cease fees. Once ceased, you no longer have a broadband service to use for your new VOIP service. So you then have to purchase a new broadband service.

You'll be pleased that reading those VOIP websites you'll no longer be confused.  As I said before, you want cheap VOIP calls then ask for a VOIP number to be allocated and don't get hung up on the perceived importance of keeping an existing number.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

If it were me I wouldn't be wasting my time looking at random hardware from ebay before I worked out who I wanted to provide my full fibre service and VOIP service.

For example, you switch to BT Broadband and they'll provide a full fibre enabled Wi-Fi Hub including a DECT base station / Digital Voice service and give you up to two free DECT handsets for a Digital Voice (VOIP) service. Call costs are the same as their standard call costs.

I've given you the link for Andrews & Arnold so you can see prices there.

If you want to go with a cheaper VOIP service provider then first find out what their requirements are for VOIP.

Ask TalkTalk's Future Fibre team if they're able to upgrade you to Full Fibre and to keep your 'phone number and voice service via either

• A VOIP service for which they'll provide the router and or VOIP Adapter.
  • The existing MPF (Metallic Path Facility known as 'the landline')

Call costs are currently the same as standard call costs whichever option is offered but you don't need to source any additional hardware or pay any number porting costs or anything as a monthly charge for the 'phone number. 

0 Likes

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 20

I am now even more confused 

VOIPFONE https://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php says you can port Talk Talk numbers to them

SIPGATE https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/208094315 says you can port Talk Talk numbers to them.

I would port my Talk Talk number to one of them and use the number on there service. I would assume the copper line would then go down!

Can I then just simply get a provider to reactivate the line or is that going to charge a fortune to do so?

0 Likes

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 20

I dont want to be spending a fortune on a VOIP adapter..... any suggestions?

Can a Vonyage adapter be used on any network for instance this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324655828765?epid=1139235454&hash=item4b96fecf1d:g:uGkAAOSwnb9gt28Y

Or do I need to pay something fancy for one! I just dont want to be caught out on this before I decide if to stay with Talk Talk or switch.

They really should have thought about customers wanting to keep there numbers and had something in place.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Those 'phones are cheap because they're second hand ex business desk sets. Best to use your existing 'phone with a VOIP adapter.

Whatever you do you're best advised to add up all the costs involved, not just in migrating to a VOIP service but the costs of a full fibre service and compare that to the monthly cost of taking a TalkTalk Future Fibre service and the cost of voice calls.

0 Likes

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 20

Can you just buy a voip handset and connect to a router supplied by broadband company?

Or am I going to have to buy a box like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174779469923

I so need the landline number so it looks like I'm stuffed if you can't port out of talk talk.

0 Likes

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 20

The adapter routers look very expensive. Are these handsets compatible with it but would need to plug into back of router supplied?

I am just so confused with this as the phone companies have clearly rushed this out leaving some stuck to what to do.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183968680919 is this sort of phone I could use? Or can I use my existing phones on an ata adapter?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi anthonyquery 

TalkTalk does not currently offer the necessary Renumber and Reserve / Export process for ADSL broadband and voice to migrate a 'phone number to an alternative VOIP service provider. The process allocates a new number to the existing landline and reserves the existing number for porting to VOIP. This process keeps the broadband service active on the existing (renumbered) line. There are obviously costs involved in such a process.

If you wish to take advantage of a cheap VOIP supplier then just ask the VOIP supplier for a new VOIP number to be allocated to you. Treat it just as you would when taking a new mobile number or having to take a new landline number when moving home to another area.  All you then need is a broadband service and to buy a VOIP enabled router or a VOIP adapter to interface your phone to your broadband router.

Otherwise look to ISP's like Andrews & Arnold, for example, that have introduced the necessary processes to take over broadband and voice lines and offer broadband, including full fibre, and VOIP services. A&A charge £44.40 for the Renumber and Export process.

0 Likes

anthonyquery
Popular Poster
Message 18 of 20

So my current landline can I switch to a VOIP provider? The likes of Sipgate etc are saying I can.

However the issue would be the line. Obviously as soon as the number disconnects on Talk Talk my copper line would go down.

Can I just proceed with any provider to just install the fibre line? I am so confused what I can do.

Talk Talk Customer support has been useless!

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Super Duper Contributor
Message 19 of 20

TalkTalk are trialing VOIP so you can ask to keep your number when you upgrade. They should send you and new router and VOIP adapter for your existing phone. However no idea if the trials will be successful and your number maintained. Currently there is no way to transfer your number to another VOIP provider. This isn’t just an issue with TalkTalk, it affects most bundled ISPs including Sky apparently as I had talks with another VOIP provider. This is going to affect a lot of people without them realising their number are at risk if they do not take a VOIP service. Note that TalkTalk are charging the same for VOIP calls as they do landline numbers which is very expensive.

0 Likes