NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving FTTP Modem

Gryphin
Team Player
Message 9 of 9

When I had FTTP (Future Fibre) installed they put the on the wall modem in the dining room, I was wondering how much it would cost to have it moved to a different room.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

bigkenny
Enlightened One
Message 1 of 9

Could you not just run some cable (cat 6 etc) make sure its outside cable, drill hole nr where router box is dowstairs and run cable to

whichever place you want just drill another hole there and you could plug it in to say another router (so extra Lan points/better wifi) or maybe say a 8-way splitter so loads of spare points. That way you dont touch the original FTTP connection/install. Its cheap and easier enough to do. I did very similar thing last year used this (COPPER UTP Network Cable GigaBit Ethernet Patch Lead 25m [25 metres] ) all you need is good drill/long drill bit. Clips and mastic to cover up hole. Easier enough. Otherwise to get these guys back will cost you an arm and a leg then it will take ages to do waiting for them to come back.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hello,

I'd recommend contacting the Future Fibre Team directly as they will be able to advise on this.

Your Future Fibre Support Hub

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hello,

I'd recommend contacting the Future Fibre Team directly as they will be able to advise on this.

Your Future Fibre Support Hub

Thanks

0 Likes

Gryphin
Team Player
Message 4 of 9

@I8this this seem okay if you want to move it someone else hand run a cable from the point it comes into house but dining room is down stairs and office is upstairs I would have to drill a hole and unwire the optical fibre cable and re-run it along house outside. I would rather pay someone who can do it properly. Plus if I ever have problems in the future with internet the first thing they will blame it on is me moving it myself instead of a engineer doing it and that some how that causing it and means paying more.

@ferguson I've been using old talktalk router for a while because I get better Wifi, I'm going to retry the amazon eero and see if it's any better now that when I got future fibre installed, they did say it takes a week or so before I get full speed.

I8this
Philosopher
Message 5 of 9

@Gryphinhave a look at this.

https://www.premitel.uk/consultancy/expert-advice/how-to-move-the-fttp-ont/

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. Now a wizard.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 9

OK, but there are other things that you can try to improve performance. Bear in mind for a start the positioning of the router.

0 Likes

Gryphin
Team Player
Message 7 of 9

Okay thanks I will try and chat with them  tomorrow. I did ask for it in dining room, but to be honest I expected to be using Wifi for everything included gaming computer but Wifi is just too slow and constantly disconnect in my office/gaming room and it would be a pain to run wires all the way though house.

Most annoying thing is both of them are on front of house and it wouldn't of been to hard for them to put it in office upstairs. I just didn't think at the time. I might try some powerline adapters I've used before with other internet and they worked well, will just have to see what speeds I get.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Oh dear, did you not discuss with the installing engineer where you would prefer to have it in the first place? I would imagine relocating a fibre entry point after the event could prove difficult. Your query is best directed straight to the Future Fibre support team, you can chat with them online after 9:00am tomorrow using the link towards the bottom of this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/FutureFibre/bd-p/FutureFibre

0 Likes