NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor speeds using eero router

Richard200sx
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 11

Hi everyone. 

I’ve got future fiber 550/75 and have a connection speed of 521/72 so happy with the connection overall. 

I’ve had the service for a few weeks and the wired performance is excellent. Wireless is great downstairs where the router is (located in the centre of the house). However up in our bedroom I am getting 8-10mb on Speedtest and getting buffering.  My old sky router had no such issues. Our house is only a

small 3 bed. 

The router seems to be putting my iPhone into 2.4ghz even which is where the speed drops, however if I go downstairs and then come back up and check it’s on 5ghz then it performs much better with speeds of 2-300mb. 

I think that the coverage is poor for what is supposed to be a high end router. It seems the only way to get any sort of guaranteed speed upstairs is to have a second router. In my

opinion talk talk should provide this without charge as surely the eero should not perform worse than my old sky router. 

has anyone else had these problems and had any bell from talk talk to resolve? I had many problems swapping from sky to talk talk and don’t fancy several hours on the phone…

thanks,

Richard

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Richard,

There should be an option to contact eero support directly as Michelle has said, they should be able to help further

Chris

0 Likes

Richard200sx
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 11

Hi Michelle. 

I don’t recall seeing that option. I have issues with a few devices that I never had before with the sky router… the coverage just seems really quite poor…

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Morning,

Did you see an option to contact eero support directly via the app?

Thanks

0 Likes

Richard200sx
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 11

Hi Michelle. 

Yes I have followed the diagnostics on the app and it shows no issues. 

Thanks,

Richard

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Morning,

Can I just confirm, have you followed all the diagnostics steps in the eero app?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Well the phone is clearly swapping as there is a lack of 5ghz signal. As I mentioned previously, the standard sky router did not have these issues either when it was in the same location and the same devices connected to it. What is disappointing is that the eero has been a step backwards as far as wifi coverage is concerned. 

We only have a small 3 bed house so it’s not like I’m in a mansion with it tucked in a corner expecting full coverage for a 6 bedroom house. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 7 of 11

It's not the router swapping the devices, it's the other way round, the devices are moving to the band with the better signal.

0 Likes

Richard200sx
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 11

Hi Chris.

No it’s not near any other electrical items apart from the ONT. Its under the stairs on top of storage unit about 140cm off the floor so about as central to the house as possible. 

its very frustrating as been happy with the router otherwise but it keeps swapping the devices upstairs to 2.4ghz and then even though it’s showing decent wifi the throughput is slow and unreliable. 

Thanks,

Richard

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 9 of 11

Your router doesn't decide which WiFi band to use, that's a function of your phone.

2.4 propagates better through solid surfaces, it's a fact of life, so your phone will often switch to that as you move away from the router.

If you have close neighbours or other devices transmitting on the 2.4 GHz band then WiFi interference could also be an issues.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your speeds upstairs, is the eero situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris

0 Likes