NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions before joining (switching & technical)

skye_
First Timer
Message 21 of 21

Hello,

I am thinking of joining TalkTalk and have used the TalkTalk live chat but I am not satisfied with the help I got, as things still aren't clear to me, so I hope someone here can advise.

We are currently with Plusnet and after running the TalkTalk check to see what speed I could get I am offered the full fibre packages. However, we only have a copper line from the street to our house.  So how would full fibre work? I have been told that the street wouldn't have to be opened up. How exactly can I get full fibre?

Also, I have been informed on the chat that TalkTalk doesn't cancel with my current ISP for me. However, after I had ended the live chat, I found this on the TalkTalk website:

SWITCH IN 3 SIMPLE STEPS

Switching is free and hassle-free with TalkTalk.

STEP 1 - Choose the deal that best works for you

STEP 2 - We'll tell your current provider you're switching

STEP 3 - We'll take care of getting you connected

So I am really confused now. Can anyone help shed some light on the two things, please?

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

The inter-system notifications from TalkTalk would go to whichever ISP is using the Openreach network. In my case the migration of broadband to TalkTalk ceased both BT broadband and Digital voice and I received timely notifications from TalkTalk and BT.

And this is why I would say to any prospective switcher to TalkTalk to check on the current provider's response to those notifications. If the current provider is relying on the migration of the 'phone number to trigger a 'working line takeover' (this is the point made by Chris) then because that 'phone number is not migrated with a TalkTalk Future Fibre Data Only service the current providers' process to cease broadband service may not be triggered.

The new Ofcom process should ensure that all ISP's have an automatic migration process that's effective for both broadband and voice services regardless of whether migration is for either one or both services.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 21

And it does seem from there that this already applies if switching between providers on the Openreach network, although to me at least it is not clear whether this includes switching between ADSL/VDSL services and full fibre services. If it does, I am happy to stand corrected. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 21

The new process is due to come into effect from April 2023:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2021/easier-than-ever-to-switch

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

I didn't realise you were with BT previously? Perhaps it is because they are umbilically joined to Openreach. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Just to say that the Ofcom gaining provider led process does work for FTTP-OR products between TalkTalk and other ISP's using the Openreach network.

In my case the order for TalkTalk Future Fibre 150 Data only was placed and acknowledged by TalkTalk email and a provisional date given for the migration of broadband service.

In little more than an hour after the order was accepted there was an email from BT titled "We're sorry you're leaving us"..."your services will automatically move on [date]". So, the TalkTalk FTTP process does initiate an automatic notification of the migration of broadband service giving the provisional date of move. The scheduled date of migration was confirmed by TalkTalk in a follow up Engineer appointment email 4 days after the purchase order was accepted. 

The migration of service was automatic and happened on the scheduled date of migration. Within 30 minutes of the cease of BT services I got an email from BT titled "You're stopping some services" and giving the services that were ceased as Digital voice and broadband.

This does indicate that TalkTalk Future Fibre (FTTP-OR) broadband migrations do have the capability to be provisioned automatically and deliver the relevant automatic inter-system notifications.  We know that Ofcom is working on a universal broadband migration process to add alt-nets and Virgin Media onto the process.

What I would say to any customer switching to TalkTalk is to expect to receive those email and or postal notifications soon after placing an order for TalkTalk broadband.  If you don't receive notifications from the current provider then chase up the current provider to confirm they're aware of the impending cessation of services.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 21

Many thanks @Chris-TalkTalk. I believe Ofcom have plans in place to take account of full fibre switching, but as usual they move with all the speed and agility of a Man U defender.  😉

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 21

OK, I've checked and we think you are correct ferguson, the customer will need to notify their current ISP that they are leaving as it wouldn't be a working line takeover

Chris

Message 8 of 21

Thanks @Chris-TalkTalk I am going by the Ofcom gaining provider led process which has not applied hitherto ti full fibre.

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 21

Hi ferguson,

The information I can see says that we would arrange the cease of the old service but I'll check again 

Chris

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 21

@Chris-TalkTalk Forgive me, but that would only apply if switching an ADSL/VDSL service from Plusnet, not to Full Fibre? 

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 21

Apologies for any confusion. The information I can find says that we would cancel the old service with Plusnet 

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 21

Hi @mrwrighty 

We are both customers & therefore cannot do anything about TalkTalk's procedures.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 21

Hi @mrwrighty the OP asked "how exactly can I get full fibre?" 

mrwrighty
Super Duper Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Hi @ferguson The OP says they only have a copper service so TalkTalk should be able to cancel this service with Plusnet.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 21

If you are switching to, or between Full Fibre services there is no one-stop solution at present. You will need to notify your current provider and cancel separately. 

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 21

My apologies, clearly @Chris-TalkTalk believes you answered the questions when clearly there are unanswered questions. Maybe TalkTalk can clarify.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 21

Hi @mrwrighty 

I did not answer those questions, because I am a customer (please see my signature), I am not employed by TalkTalk & therefore cannot comment on their policies. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Super Duper Contributor
Message 18 of 21

@KeithFrench You have not mentioned the switching process which the OP specifically mentioned. Why would TalkTalk say they do not handle this when it has previously always been the case.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 21

Hi skye_,

Glad to hear that you're thinking of switching to TalkTalk. I can see that Keith has answered your questions, please let us know if you need any further assistance

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

I'll answer the technical stuff for you.

If you went for Fibre 35 or 65, this is fibre to the green box in your road, or a nearby one. Then it uses the existing copper cables from there to your house. If you live within 300M of that box (as the cables run, not a direct straight line), then you should get near enough the full speed. If you go for what TalkTalk call Future Fibre, that is fibre direct to your property & will therefore be much faster, However, be aware that not all of these packages come with a landline.

If you plan to join TalkTalk, then they will confirm the speed that you should get, with whatever package you go for.

Keith