NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Upgrade or Boost for Future Fibre from 150 to 500Mb

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 34 of 34

Does anyone know who I ask to upgrade my Future Fibre from 150Mb to 500Mb?

Thanks

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from future fibre. Don't need to care about the distance from the green box any more, ADSL (or VDSL) issues, rebooting modems and then losing speed!
0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

Morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 34

Finally KellyComms arrived this morning and installed the 150 to 500mb upgrade.

Involved replacing the GPON from huawei with a nokia unit. No real reason apart from discontinued unit.

Bit of messing about making it live but all done in about 30 mins.

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from future fibre. Don't need to care about the distance from the green box any more, ADSL (or VDSL) issues, rebooting modems and then losing speed!

Message 3 of 34
0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

Thanks Chris,

Will add an update once OR have been an upgraded the speed.

Will be interesting to see if they actually have to replace anything.

My best guess is that they will check the service is running at the new speed.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

Hi JamesHappy,

Glad to hear that you've got this sorted 🙂

Chris

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 34

So latest in this saga. 

Spoke to FF Team on Monday using the 0345 number. Discussed problem with TechTeam.
They put me through to the Consumer Future Fibre Upsell Team.

I thought, here we go again....wrong!

Spoke to nice lady, who offered my the price I was looking for at £35 (discounted as I have had FF/FTTP for a year{it's my best guess}). 

Now have a BT/OR coming out to check to see in the fibre is fit for purpose and then an engineer to install it.

Great.... 500Mb here I come and not that 150Mb is a major problem but with the deal seemed worth it.

I can see its a sort of incremental sale, raise the cost a few quid this year for a faster service now and then offer a deal on the next band up in a year and you won't want to roll back.... 

What I still don't get is why you need an engineer to do anything, apart from tap a few keys and raise the limit....

There is almost no detail on what is involved in the upgrade process.

So calm perseverance paid off in the end.

Message 7 of 34

@bigkenny wrote:

I thought you would be either getting it for `Free` or a huge discount seeing you work for them!

What??? Read the community guidelines. 

Message 8 of 34

I thought you `ferguson` would be either getting it for `Free` or a huge discount seeing you work for them!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Yes agree - it took me a few weeks to get into the fibre mindset having come from FTTC - and ditching sync speeds - fibre doesn't have a connected sync speed - it just pulls what it needs as and when. The connection speed is more the total of what all the devices are pulling down at any one moment up to a maximum of your package cap speed.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 34

Absolutely. A mess with no apparent joining up between  the implementation, provision and sales. You seem very sussed out my friend and good for you. Imagine those less so on the receiving end. 

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 11 of 34

I nagged to get a dedicated FF forum and they now have it.

Don't forget some organisations have Fibre ADSL and VDSL (both FTTC) and Ultra Fibre and Future Fibre (both FTTP)....
No wonder it's a struggle to know what you will get and don't get me started on porting phone numbers!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 34

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 34

No it should not be but they have not had FF that long and had been in the hands of BT/OR.

So I can understand the challenges, perhaps out of my persistence they will find a solution.

One day.... it will be a "boost" that you can apply as the systems improve (I like to dream).

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 34

And yes, they are naming two entirely different products both as Fibre 150.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 34

Oh dear. Just as well you have the stamina. It shouldn't be like this, surely? Any Leslie Nielsen jokes are purely coincidental.  😉

0 Likes

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 34

By the way Fibre 150 is on cooper (VDSL-2).

From TT Website

So what’s different about Fibre 150?
Although fibre broadband uses fibre-optic cables for most of the network, part of the connection to your home is still copper. 

0 Likes

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 17 of 34

UPDATE!

I have now spent 2 hours on chat, 2.5 hours on the phone and been given an array of numbers.
My head is spinning on how many times I have gone round in circles.

The last piece of advice was to go back to the first number I started with at 2:30p and speak to technical services.

The crux of the matter is that the TT Sales Teams can't do an upgrade from 150Mb (data only) to 500Mb (data only).

They can only see "new" service lines.

Now plan to call the first number I started with on Monday morning.

I like a challenge!

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 18 of 34

Oh and if you want to keep your landline number (data only) have worked out how to do that

0 Likes

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 19 of 34

Future Fibre is great.

Get a solid connection all the time, doesn't change when one of the following happens (or all of them)

• it rains
  • reboot router
  • speed fall off after reboot router
  • power cut reboot
  • when DSLAM has a hissy fit

Some organisations have no access to FTTP and most of the "comparison" sites can't offer FTTP.

Would agree there is still work to do but over time it will happen.... one hopes

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 20 of 34

Not presently. But my area is ostensibly enabled; I appear able to order Fibre 150, but no higher; My Account has a message with a phone number to call; but I just followed the link you posted which then sent me an email thanking me for my interest. 

TBH I am not interested at the moment, certainly not for stupid prices. But there is clearly a hugely disjointed system (not) at work behind the scenes.