would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Apple extreme and Openreach modem

20 REPLIES 20
Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant

Hi everyone

I have got the new super hub. Nothing against it, fast enough speeds if you are close.  Upper bedroom not so good. So, I would like to go back to using my apple extreme and express setup. Gives better coverage over the entire house. 

I connected the Openreach modem back up and connected the extreme as per normal. Using airport utility you can get a green light on the router and in the utility but amber on the internet connection. I have tried using the dns addresses from the original router but nothing seems to work. Any ideas. 

Community Team

Hi Andrew,

Just to confirm, did this set up previously work ok?

Thanks

Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant

Thanks for responding.  Yes, but I was with bt. So i had dumped the homehub in favour of apple. 

Thanks

Andy 

Community Team

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to provide any assistance? 🙂

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Andrew_Clarke0705

@OCE_Michelle has asked me to help you.

I don'tt have any experience of the modem or the Extreme, but the mention of an orange internet light makes me think this is an authentication issue, possibly it is locked into the previous ISP.

If you put your TalkTalk WiFi hub back on & it works basically, then the coverage issue may be down to the general WiFi reception in your area. I can help a lot with this if you want me to.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant

If I have the TT router connect then yes, WiFi works well enough. Seem to be able I get a strong signal to most parts of the house but the top back bedroom and furthest corner away downstairs.  To be fair to the router it is much better than the apple in terms of reach. However I have two airport expresses which I use to both extend the network and provide an Ethernet connection for the tv etc in the living room. 

When I have the BT Openreach modem plugged in I can set it to dhcp which gives me connection to the apple extreme router through the utility program but no actual connection to the internet. If I set it to pppoe (no option for pppoa) then I get error messages saying no pppoe connection. 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Are you on fibre or ADSL?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant

Fibre 

KeithFrench
Community Star

You would need to use IPoE, but that does not seem to be an option from what you have said.

Keith

Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant

There is a post on the apple community site that deals with this. I will read it again and see if this works.  From what  I gather I do not need a username and password as TT use a different authentication method.  So in theory DHCP should work.  Will let you know 

Andy

pugwash001
Conversation Starter

Hi Andrew im going down a simular line as you as feed up with poor wifi im waiting for a 

ECI B-Focus V-2 FUb/r Rev.B BT Openreach FTTC Modem VDSL to turn up and link it up to a 

Tp-Link Archer C9 AC1900 Wireless 5GHz Dual-Band Gigabit Cable Router 1900Mbps

im running a imac myself so if any outcomes are of interest that i migh have please let me know

otherwise i will not comment anymore

all the best martin 

"Blistering barnacles!"
Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant

Hi Marten

yes please let me know how you get on. I have a replacement super hub from TT.  Seems okay but still not a great signal upstairs. If all goes well with your set up I might be tempted to try again. 

Cheers

Andy

pugwash001
Conversation Starter

Nothing against talktalk bu i was not impressed with the new hub my sync speed was slower than the older d-link router and showed on ttcare speed test (maybe i got a bad one)

but ive had enought of all the super routers that are all singing and dancing from all the isp's

so i go my own way and if i move on from here im good apart from sky

But back to it im waiting for my modem to come 11th or 12th so i will get back to you on when ive set it all and give you some results

martin

"Blistering barnacles!"
pugwash001
Conversation Starter

Andrew as promised fitted all the bits and my wireless probs remained but haveing checked the main one was the now tv stick after checking they are pretty much line of sight so not a lot can be done with that apart from a extender 

broadband sync speed is lower on the download but higher on the upload 

having tried everything i have decided to bit the bullet and pay that bit more and move providers

finishing contract early so a few pounds to pay but its my choice 

will see how my set up does with new provider then will no for sure what the problems are caused by although mut admit for browsing the internet seems smother and faster but for downloading just as rubbish approx 2.4mbs down even if using taltalk router using a internet download manager

hope this might help in some way but i think not 

regards Martin

"Blistering barnacles!"
pugwash001
Conversation Starter

just to add tried with old hp g6 laptop 2.4ghz only 22.6 mbs next to router 9.6mbs in the bedroom that has caused the problem without extender 

"Blistering barnacles!"
Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant
Thanks Martin.
I will try again at some point.
Andy
apols
Participant

im using openreach and R7000 and the only option for connect is setup dhcp at WAN 
not working with PPP0E like on BT

Andrew_Clarke0705
Participant

Hi. Thanks for responding.  So does you set up work okay?

apols
Participant

@Andrew_Clarke0705 Yes Perfectly 

pugwash001
Conversation Starter

mate i used a tplink archer router and just done auto setup to be honest i did not make any difference to speed or wireless the d-link supplied by talktalk worked out to be the the best for talktalk 

i have now left talktalk and all my problems have gone

"Blistering barnacles!"