Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can we still use our own modem / router? Asus DSL-AC68U no longer working

7 REPLIES 7
LondonFibreUser
Team Player

Is anyone connecting to TalkTalk fibre with their own modem or modem/router? If so, may I ask what make and model?

I have an Asus DSL-AC68U (integrated modem and router in one); the modem part stopped working a few months ago, so I have had to go back to using the TalkTalk-supplied modem/router (a D-Link DSL-3782). To be clear, my Asus used to work as a modem/router, i.e. I wasn't using the TalkTalk equipment at all.

I have tried multiple times to go back to the Asus, but every single time the DSL light stays off. The home page shows: "internet status - the network cable is unplugged" and if I go to "quick internet setup" I see: " DSL Link Status : Link down (DSL LED Off)". Wi-fi, however, works, but is of little use without internet access.

TalkTalk says it still allows third-party modem routers (unlike, for example, Vodafone or Sky).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I am wondering if it might actually be a hardware fault?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes you can still use your own modem/router. However, is this one VDSL capable?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

LondonFibreUser
Team Player

Yes, it most certainly is. Like I said, I used to use it to connect to Talk Talk , without using any Talk Talk equipment at all, till a few months ago, then it stopped working all of a sudden.

The exact specs are here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/specifications/

KeithFrench
Community Star

Does it have a TT connection option?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

LondonFibreUser
Team Player

What do you mean by "TT connection"? If you mean whether it has preconfigured settings for TalkTalk, like many Draytek modems do, then no. 

I might maybe understand if some settings somehow got messed up in the configuration, but here the problem is that the DSL light doesn't turn on and the router says the cable is unplugged; if it were a configuration issue I would have expected to see the light on but then some error, so for example the official settings here are of little use: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Do not exclude the possibility that your Asus device has a hardware problem. Is it in warranty?  If not, you could order another off Amazon and then return it if you find that doesn't work either.

EdT
LondonFibreUser
Team Player

In the end it was a problem with the line. I tried two Asus and one Draytek - nothing.

Then the TalkTalk engineer finally came round; I raised a complaint because the speed was much lower than it should have been, he replaced the cable that goes into my property, and now the Asus works just fine. However, this still doesn't explain why only the TalkTalk modem/router was working before, while the other devcies were showing the cable was disconnected.

I would guess that the talktalk router has better signal to noise ratio, and is therefore able to work with a degraded BT line, which I suspect many of us have, where other modems in more expensive equipment are unable to cope.

EdT