Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Forum Edit History.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Hi -

Does anyone know of a way to view the edit history for a post on these Community Forums if you are not an OCE or CS ?

Highlighted
Community Star

Yes @Garton2019 there are two ways.

1. Subscribe to email notifications
    You'll receive mail notifications of an original post and you'll also see edited posts
  2. Subscribe to the RSS Feed
    The feed will contain an original post and edited posts

The Subscription options are on the Option Menus, the triple vertical dot icons to the top right of each post or top left of each individual thread or board depending on the depth of monitoring you wish to do.

I've just edited this post so you'll maybe see Edit History in action. I see you are already a CS (Conversation Starter) but if you wish to be a CS (Community Star) like the legendary KeithFrench then nominate yourself at the Stars Hub. Scroll down to the Apply button.

2nd edit for demonstration purposes.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Ok @Gondola thanks for that explanation, although I'm not sure that method number 1 is working as advertised.

I received an email saying I had been mentioned in a post, which I guess was your first (shorter) post. I have not received any second post with your changes.

Edit -

But as the system has just let me subscribe to my own thread, does auto subscribe from settings not work on this section of the forum ?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Garton2019 

The notifications of Edited posts are working normally for the Lounge as well as Help forums. As you'll see from the notification I received of your Edited post.

"Garton2019 (Conversation Starter) edited a reply in..."

Forum Edit History and Notifications

You may need to visit your Community profile Settings and navigate to Subscriptions and then Notification Settings to review what you've got set up there.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

I'm still only seem to be getting notification when I'm @ mentioned in the post. Nothing for the actual post or subsequent edits. "Auto subscribe" for threads I post in is set on.

Notification settings look ok. I haven't changed those since the day I first subscribed to the community.

Could the changes and crashes they had at the weekend be affecting this ?

But from my understanding Community Stars have a different level of authorisation on the forums from us standard users, could that in any way account for the fact that you can apparently see things that I can't ?

But not a major issue, but a useful tool apparently non-functioning at the moment.

Hey ho - TalkTalk.

EDIT - don't know if this is significant or not but your post where you refered to me as a conversation starter arrived about an hour before the official notification that I was now " a conversation starter".

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Garton2019 

You must select the thread or board option menu Subscribe to receive notification of replies by others to your topic.

The default setting in your Community profile is not to receive notification of your own posts or replies. Notify me when I post, reply, submit a review, or comment must be ticked if you need to receive an email notification of stuff you post on Community. I personally don't have this option set.

I'm using TalkTalk Mail and the timing of the post is exactly the same timing as the notification. In the example I posted the time was 6:16PM for the Community server and the same (in 24 hour format) for the TalkTalk Mail server. Currently there's no significant delay to posting and the notification. i.e. it's real time.  Of course if your mail server has a different time setting it might be different to real local time.

The weekend's problem was an unannounced live software change to the Community platform that wasn't correctly carried out and caused us all problems. Totally unrelated to notifications.

As far as I'm aware the notifications I see are the same as all non-TalkTalk members. I did at one time get notifications of unpublished posts i.e. posts made but not yet published because members had not verified an email address. Very useful for helping customers having email problems.  Also for dealing with spammers and scammers in advance of publication. But now only TalkTalk employees see unpublished posts.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@Gondola wrote:

Hi Garton2019 

You must select the thread or board option menu Subscribe to receive notification of replies by others to your topic.

Subscribed already - I also have "automatically subscribe me" to thread I post on set. I also manually selected "subscribe" on this thread and did receive notification of this latest message. So this last post notification did get through (the first to do so).

The default setting in your Community profile is not to receive notification of your own posts or replies. Notify me when I post, reply, submit a review, or comment must be ticked if you need to receive an email notification of stuff you post on Community. I personally don't have this option set.

This is already defaulted to off - I don't need notifications of my own posts. But I do have the email settings set to notify me when someone else posts, these are the notifications I don't appear to be receiving. The last message got through, all previous ones haven't.

I'm using TalkTalk Mail and the timing of the post is exactly the same timing as the notification. In the example I posted the time was 6:16PM for the Community server and the same (in 24 hour format) for the TalkTalk Mail server. Currently there's no significant delay to posting and the notification. i.e. it's real time.  Of course if your mail server has a different time setting it might be different to real local time.

I'm using Hotmail, but there is normally no delay. I noticed the time delay via my in forum "notifiactions" messages - so not an email issue. From experience I have more faith in Hotmail than TT mail.

The weekend's problem was an unannounced live software change to the Community platform that wasn't correctly carried out and caused us all problems. Totally unrelated to notifications.

Unrelated could be argued - it adversly impacted these community forums, the correct functionality of which I am now querying. Also,checking back in my notifications I noticed that I had previously been awarded "conversion starter" about a month ago, so am unsure why I was notified about it again tonight. Is that normal ?

As far as I'm aware the notifications I see are the same as all non-TalkTalk members. I did at one time get notifications of unpublished posts i.e. posts made but not yet published because members had not verified an email address. Very useful for helping customers having email problems.  Also for dealing with spammers and scammers in advance of publication. But now only TalkTalk employees see unpublished posts.

But as previously stated - Hey Ho - this is TalkTalk.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Garton2019 

OK, now you've selected Subscribe on this thread you'll get notifications. So I'll edit this one in a mo' to see that you get notification of the edited post.

EDIT POINT

Each to their own when it comes to email. I have only had bad experiences with Hotmail and therefore refuse to trust it again. But I see people using it. Hey Ho!

Sure, there are long standing Community issues that still need to be fixed as we keep reminding the Community Manager. But none that we are aware of that are adversely impacting members using Community and none that we are aware of as a direct result of the weekend's update.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

But ...... I have always had "automatically subscribe me to threads I post on" set - so why did I need to manually resubscribe to this thread ?

I have received the notification of your post, but if a"mo" is less than 24 minutes, I have not received any notification of any edits to your post.

Highlighted
Community Star

The edit was 7 minutes after the first post.

I did suggest you may need to visit your Community profile Settings and navigate to Subscriptions and then Notification Settings to review what you've got set up there.

"Edits to published knowledge base articles and topics in areas I subscribe to" if set to the default is 'Never'.

So if you never get notified of Edits that's why.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

That could be it - but that parameter is not very well described as it leads with knowledge base and says "areas I subscibe to" - saying "posts I subscribe to" would be a clearer definition.

But as "never" is the default then the simply subscribing descibed in the earlier post was never going to work.

Ok, I have now changed the setting, we will see what happens.

Highlighted
Community Star

Seems to be written in understandable English even if it is a USA vendor responsible for the design.

Edit coming in a few minutes.  

At this rate you'll be upgraded from Conversation Starter to Philosopher in double quick time!

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Email notification of original post received.

No notification of edit (new last line) received.

p.s. Are you receiving email notifications when I edit my posts like tis ?

Highlighted
Community Star

...OK, I'll ask to see if there's an additional button needs to be pushed for you to see post Edit notifications. As you can see, I'm seeing those email notifications for each edit.  "Bloomin' annoying" as some members have commented in the past when contributors make copious multiple edits. 

But you have the original email notification so you do have a base to compare the current live version of a post to see any cumulative edits. 

And I'm sure the RSS feed will send out any live edits to threads.

I'll be back!

PS Yes I do get an email notification:

Hi Gondola,

Garton2019 (Conversation Starter) edited a reply in General Technology, Tips & Tricks on 04-03-2020 11:38 PM :

Re: Forum Edit History.

Email notification of original post received.

No notification of edit (new last line) received.

p.s. Are you receiving email notifications when I edit my posts like tis ?

Highlighted
Problem Solver

OK FWIW - I have reset my notification options back to defaults using the reset button at the bottom of the notifications page.

Let's see what the experts come up with.

EDIT - and as another FWIW - I have just noticed that this thread is in my subscription list twice. I will delete the olderst one.