Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG633 and iPad problems

6 REPLIES 6
Sbartlett
First Timer

Hello, I hope someone can help as we are having real problems with our iPads and the talk talk router (HG633).  I’ve looked for possible solutions on the internet but no luck so far.

We have a couple of iPads in our house - an iPad mini 2 and iPad Air 2.  We are finding increasingly that both of these iPads are having connection problems with the HG633.  In certain apps such as Facebook or google pages can take miniutes to load or just time out.  This is becoming more and more of a problem.  

We have no problems with older iPads and the iPad 2s work perfectly on other routers out of the house.

The only other problems we have with the router at times is where we need to Reset it a few times a week as it can stall on bbc or itv players.

any advice gratefully received!

thanks

steve 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Do you have any wired connections & if so how are they?

Do you know which of the two WiFi bands your various devices are using to connect to the router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Sbartlett
First Timer

Hello thanks for your reply.

nothing is wired but other things that aren’t apple and that link to the hub are fine.

im not sure how to find WiFi bands or which band the iPads connect to I’m afraid.  Any idea how I can this Oita?

thanks again

KeithFrench
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

An alternative is to use band steering. This will automatically move any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz band, providing better performance for the device & fewer devices are then subject to the interference on the 2.4GHz band. To enable this, all that has to be done is to set both SSIDs to the exact same name.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Chris W1
First Timer

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue as this with connection of my apple devices.  Talktalk technical have been unable to assist me with this at all and keep testing the phone line even though i tell them there is nothing wrong with the other devices.  How do i go about getting hold of this guide which i can help me diagnose the problem?

Many thanks!

Alaynec
First Timer

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Mine is HG633 router. It's the only router in the house and the only devices used are iPad Air 2 and my Android phone. Phone has no problems connecting to internet etc....can switch from tablet in frustration and get right on the same site from phone. iPad has no problems at other people's houses (BT and Virgin) or on the train. I don't think interference is a problem, when I look at wifi settings on iPad it doesn't come up with any other networks. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alaynec
First Timer

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Mine is HG633 router. It's the only router in the house and the only devices used are iPad Air 2 and my Android phone. Phone has no problems connecting to internet etc....can switch from tablet in frustration and get right on the same site from phone. iPad has no problems at other people's houses (BT and Virgin) or on the train. I don't think interference is a problem, when I look at wifi settings on iPad it doesn't come up with any other networks. Any help would be much appreciated.