Did you mean: 
Need help?

Laptop can not connect over WiFi router

5 REPLIES 5
Nexster
Wizz Kid

@KeithFrench 

Hi Keith

As requested I have created a new topic on this issue.

I have the same issue as described in another topic please see link below only with a windows 7 laptop and I have taken the logs you have requested in order for you to help and attached them to this post.

Its not the end of the world if you cant help as like you say its a very old network card that doesnt have any offical windows 7 drivers but im curious to know why it connect to say my phone hotspot fine just not my router.

If you get a chance to take at look at the log at some point and have any suggestions it would be appreciated but please dont go out of your way over it.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Old-laptop-can-no-longer-connect-over-WiFi-router-with...

KeithFrench
Community Star

This may take me a while to analyse, as there will be an awful lot of messaging in the trace.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

KeithFrench
Community Star

There are a lot of errors in the trace that point to corrupt network drivers or settings.

Make sure that the WLAN Autoconfig service is running on the computer and is set to automatic.

1. Go to Run by pressing Windows + R simultaneously.

2. Type services.msc and then Enter.

3. Select WLAN Autoconfig service and then right click on it and then select properties.

4. In general tab select Automatic.

This card is so out of date only supporting 802.11b or g. I feel there is no point pursuing this any further, you said it didn't have a proper Windows 7 driver anyway. These days you can get USB WiFi adapters that are dual-band supporting 802.11n & 802.11ac, which is what you should be aiming for. Obviously, make sure that they are fully compatible with Windows 7.

The next thing to think about is that Windows 7 is ending all support from Microsoft on the 14th of January, 2020. Maybe your first step to solving your issues is to consider a PC running Windows 10?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Nexster
Wizz Kid

Hi Keith

Thanks for taking a look.

Drivers and settings I would say are fine as I can connect to my phone hotspot fine and then browse the internet.

Im not at home for a few days so I will check those settings when I return.

USB adapters are good but I think I will look and see first if I can replace the wifi card in the laptop at a resonable cost providing its not locked down to the bios like some are and save myself a USB port as there limited on a laptop.

You say that about windows 7 support ending but offically it is but unofficaly I suspect its not.

I still get updates for XP on one of my other laptops even if they are few and far between.

Thanks for trying to help.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Your phone may have a different config to the router. You did say in your opening post that there is no official Win 7 driver. The trace you sent me is full of errors either relating to the driver or the WLAN Autoconfig service is not running automatically. 

Keith

Nexster
Wizz Kid

The laptop has a fresh copy of windows installed and with it connecting correctly to my phone im happy to rule out corrupt drivers.

I will check out the WLAN Autoconfig as you suggest but if that is set to auto then I will just bite the bullet and get a replacement wifi card / dongle.

Thanks.