cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

New Fibre connection 10 day settling in period

67 REPLIES
Highlighted
mesaboogieman
Chat Champion

Hi

I recently switched from ADSL2 to medium fibre broadband. I have seen mention of a 10 day settling period during which time BT's line management determines the fastest stable speed for your line.

My initial download speed after changing to fiber was 20984Mb/s and has stayed consistantly at this speed for the five days since the changeover.

My question is has anybody actually experienced their speed improve over the initial 10 days or is this a myth?

My Line Quality stats are:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Fast
DSL up-time:
5 days 7 hours 52 minutes 25 seconds

My estimated speed range for fibre medium from TT was 17-32Mb/s

Any comments most welcome ......

mesaboogieman

eebdsirhc
Community Star

My understanding for fibre is that it starts out at the fastest possible - then if necessary it slows until stable performance is achieved.

So the best you ever get is on the first day - and you just have to "hope" that it doesn't slow.

davidj17
Team Player

if it's going to slow will it slow during the 10 day settling period or will speeds slow after this has commpleted?

davidj17
Team Player

if its going to slow will this happen within the 10 day settling period or it happen after that is completed?

Victormeldrew666
Wise Owl

Actually yes (in a way)

When we switched to fttc line rate was 44500kbps.

After 4 months of openreach visits (as talktalk seemed incable/unable to book a broadband boost visit AND after buying my own modem/router) speeds are now 76mbps throughput wired and 75 wireless - but we are only 280m from the fibre cabinet.

davidj17
Team Player

yes but after starting on fibre it starts off great on full speed, but if its going to slow down will this happen within the 10 day settling period? or does it happen after the settling in is completed

ferguson
Community Star

There isn't any "settling in" period with fibre DLM.

davidj17
Team Player

so if fibre does not have a settling in period why does the first post of this mention the settling in period, also talktalk will tell you there is a settlingin period, i'm simply wanting to know if speeds are likely to drop inside the 10 day settlingin period if they are going to or if this will happen once the 10 day settling period has completed

ferguson
Community Star

There is no 10 day settling in period, the OP in this rather old thread was mistaken in the same way you clearly are. Assuming all is well with your line there is no reason to expect a significant drop in speed. 

davidj17
Team Player

if thats the case explain how i'e just took out a new fibre service days ago & in what i read it tells me there will be a settlingin period, explain that or you going to try & say thats wrong & giving missleading information as well

ferguson
Community Star

Where did you read that? And why do you seem so determined to prove this misconception? Check out across these forums and elsewhere, ADSL broadband DLM systems commonly underwent a lengthy so-called training period, VDSL DLM as operated by Openreach does not, it is a simple fact.

Victormeldrew666
Wise Owl

I think this misconception stems from the scripting that sales agents are required to read. 

When I upgraded to fttc I questioned this point and after a rather long hold whilst the agent was asking his manager I was informed that the 10 day settling in period only applied to adsl. 

In their defence the sales agents are not employed to be technicians and can only read from the scripting which is provided, from which they appear not to be allowed to deviate (for legal and regulatory reasons).

eebdsirhc
Community Star

davidj17 wrote:

if thats the case explain how i'e just took out a new fibre service days ago & in what i read it tells me there will be a settlingin period, explain that or you going to try & say thats wrong & giving missleading information as well

Settling in period - that is not the same as a training period.

Fibre lines go in at max speed, DLM then monitors the line to establish the true line running conditions (background noise etc.) and your line speed is adjusted accordingly. This usually happens relatively quickly, it does not take 10 days, and is not classed as a training period.

A terminology misunderstanding ?

EDIT - and p.s. FWIW my "settling in" period was effectively zero. It went in at my max speed (for fibre medium 40 Mbps) and has stayed there ever since.

davidj17
Team Player

I did read it in something i seen when taking out order for fibre, even the guys on customer / service tech support claimed that all new services including fibre go through a settling period where it will find the best speed, so simply put i've been getting max speed since day 1, now into 5th day have had no speed issue never slowed down, no hanging, no re-syncs due to drop outs etc so is it safe to asume that all appears good & will remain like this or are things likely to change?

davidj17
Team Player

so is there anyway that TT can actualy adhust the fibre speed to slow it down, or is this controlled by BT's DLM network or does even that keep it at full speed, is there anything at all that would cause it to change, all i can say is now into 5th day & speed has remained at max with no hangs, no drop outs or re-syncs etc. Some things i have noticed in the router logs is things like periodic inform stuff & parameters be chaged etc, havent got any exact log of it at mo so ant grab full details just now, was wondering is that anything to do with either TT or BT / openreach DLM looking at how things are & could either of them make changes to speed from any of these results, also if thats the case are these contrlled by th parts in the router that seem to be enabled by default which are remote mnagement & periodic inform? & would turning either or both of these off cause any issues with speed being affected or would this just make it get left at max speed if i disable these? need to be 100% sure answeres before i try though as cant be risking the suck it & see aproach incase by disabling them caused speeds to drop, appreciae if any of you know how these work & what they do to get a better insight of how to possibly stop speeds being adjusted as i'd prefer to stay at max speed if at all poss

eebdsirhc
Community Star

If nothing significant changes what you have now should be settled.

The only time I have lost service has been during power cuts. BT messing up our local green cabinet whilst they installed a new cabinet to serve a new estate being built just down the road. And Western Power cutting us off whlst they cabled up the new estate.

eebdsirhc
Community Star

Just seen your latest post.

All fibre performance is managed by BTOR, TalkTalk cannot do anything. Even if you have a fault TT have to report it to BTOR to get it fixed. The BT DLM management is effectively total and end user tamper proof.

Of course things can change, but anything planned would be down to BT Openreach's configuring of their system.

Your next door neighbour might suddenly decide to install a high powered HAM radio. You might damage your master socket by accidentally kicking it. Someone may dig up the cable in the road.

Nothing can be 100% guarenteed, but I suspect you are seriously over thinking this situation.

But please don't try changing any router parameters. There is virtually nothing you can do to effect your "raw" fibre speed, other than totally crash your router.

davidj17
Team Player

so your simply saying that speeds would adjust quickly, so saying i'm now into 5th day & my speed has not change things are looking good & should stay there?

davidj17
Team Player

so if saying even a power cut could speed to drop, would it normaly return on its own or need a report putting in? also wasnt looking into adjusting paarameters in the router, was looking at simply turning off remote managenent or and periodic inform as dont know if by disabling these would stopDLM been able to monitor my speeds & by thus leave ti alone set at max without it interfearing or if this would have an adverse affect & by it not being able to monitor it maybe lower it? just dont know

eebdsirhc
Community Star

Yes.

Unless someone changes something (deliberately or accidentally), what you have now should be what you have going forward.