Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New TT Sagemcom router

6 REPLIES 6
ukoldgit
Insightful One

If I were to replace my existing router with this one how would I use my USB network drive that has all my movies, photos and music which is plugged into my existing router at the moment ??

UK Old Git
ferguson
Community Star

It doesn't have a USB port. There are ways of accessing a network drive via other means, but I am no expert on this. As this isn't a fibre support request I have moved it to the General section.

ukoldgit
Insightful One
So basically I wouldn't be able to use it without more hardware?
UK Old Git
ferguson
Community Star

Not directly via a USB drive, no. But there are different methods without the need for additional hardware, I use Plex Media Server for example. 

ukoldgit
Insightful One

So are you running the Plex Media server on your PC?

If thats the case  I presume that means you need the pc on and available 24/7 for anyone in the house to access it, not ideal.

If not could you explain how to do it without using the PC or additional hardware.

UK Old Git
ferguson
Community Star

Yeah, I need to have my MacBook up and running. There are ways to do it remotely, but like I said I am not an expert, just a basic user, so in the absence of any further advice here Google is your friend!

Alternatively, buy a router with a USB port and carry on as you are.

ukoldgit
Insightful One

Oh well this router likes like one small step forward for Talktalk and one giant step back for the customers.

I don't need to google, as I said before with this router you only have two choices to be able to stream to your devices, leave the PC on 24/7 or buy more hardware like a nas box.

Why on earth in this day and age of DLNA and Network streaming they bring out a router that doesn't have a usb port on it where as most of their recent ones have.

They have not given much consideration to customers that may have to upgrade from a TT router that has a usb port which they use to this new one.

So much easier to plug mem stick or a external laptop drive into the router and have everything available.

UK Old Git