Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Persistence pays off

6 REPLIES 6
Pash02
Super Duper Contributor

Persistence and being a pain in the bum pays off again.

Me being me  the awkward one who  doesn’t take no for an answer and after being told talktalk have no record of my phone call on Saturday anyway after being passed around on the phone I finally got a brilliant deal

My Broadband reduced to £25 for 76MB   was £27.50

TV room boost £4

Entertainments boost £6 / should be £ 12

Films £8  / should  be £ 16

free Tv box and a plus box for £25

Oh yeah is the new wifi hub worth the extra £30 i have the 633?

thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

It has a much higher specification than any other previous router, it has Gigabit LAN ports and yes it is much better. There are a couple of bugs in the initial firmware, but I have passed these over to TalkTalk's device"s team to get them rectified. To fully take advantage of the speed improvements, you would also need AC2200 compatible WiFi adapters in your connected devices.

Of course with any router, WiFi reception will only be good if you have no underlying problems in your locality with things such as interference. Do not forget, a WiFi adapter in a device connected to the router can also cause a lot of problems.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Hammertime
Wise Owl

@Pash02 wrote:

Persistence and being a pain in the bum pays off again.

Me being me  the awkward one who  doesn’t take no for an answer and after being told talktalk have no record of my phone call on Saturday anyway after being passed around on the phone I finally got a brilliant deal

My Broadband reduced to £25 for 76MB   was £27.50

TV room boost £4

Entertainments boost £6 / should be £ 12

Films £8  / should  be £ 16

free Tv box and a plus box for £25

Oh yeah is the new wifi hub worth the extra £30 i have the 633?

thanks

well done @Pash02 🙂

I have the new wifi hub because of bad wifi and to be honest I have now just plugged in my talktalk HG635 router again as it's still superior, if I was you (my opinion), I would say don't waste your money on the new hub but if you have just signed up to a new contract then you could have argued for the new hub for FREE, the new hub will be a hell of a lot better than the garbage 633 model, that I do know for sure as I have tried nearly all routers, for me the HG635 is still top dog and the new wifi hub coming in a close second place, they are all still rubbish at wifi though even when you try all the troubleshooting steps etc, makes no difference, they all stink for wifi in my opinion.

Argue the case on the phone for the free wifi hub as you have just signed a new contract, people that are new to talktalk get one free, so they should treat their loyal customers the same way if not better.

Hope the info helps, if you want to pm me then feel free, cheers 🙂

Router TalkTalk HG635 - Firmware v1.06t on Large speed boost 76/20- unlimited phone boost - TalkTalk YouView Plus Tv Box
prawlin
Enlightened One

@Hammertime

I have recently (less than two weeks) upgraded from TT ADSL to FTTC and was supplied with the new Sagemcom router (hub). I find the WiFi to be no better or worse on the new router than it was with my old HG635.

There are a few bugs in it, but it appears to work well enough. Can't get used to the single always on status light as opposed to the useful multiple LEDS. Cosmetically it looks nicer. Especially since I stuck some translucent blue tape over the white glaring LED. The blue looks really cool now.

Please can you explain why you say the HG635 is still better than the hub?  I am intending to go back to my HG635 at some point as a comparison now I'm on fibre service. I'm just waiting to see how my line does without any fiddling for a while. Don't want to upset my DLM.

Cheers

Peter

Hammertime
Wise Owl

@prawlin wrote:

@Hammertime

I have recently (less than two weeks) upgraded from TT ADSL to FTTC and was supplied with the new Sagemcom router (hub). I find the WiFi to be no better or worse on the new router than it was with my old HG635.

There are a few bugs in it, but it appears to work well enough. Can't get used to the single always on status light as opposed to the useful multiple LEDS. Cosmetically it looks nicer. Especially since I stuck some translucent blue tape over the white glaring LED. The blue looks really cool now.

Please can you explain why you say the HG635 is still better than the hub?  I am intending to go back to my HG635 at some point as a comparison now I'm on fibre service. I'm just waiting to see how my line does without any fiddling for a while. Don't want to upset my DLM.

Cheers

Peter

@prawlin, Well simple answer is it's (the new Sagemcom wifi hub*) it's advertised by talktalk as being/doing this > "Get a Wi-Fi signal that can't be beaten by any of the other big providers."

I personally find that line of text to be complete rubbish as in my opinion it's no better than my HG635 router in terms of both the wifi signal range/distance and it certainly isn't any faster wired (ethernet) or via wifi either, in fact the opposite can be said in my opinion, it slowed my hard-wired/ethernet speed down by about 8 to 10Mbps and as I say, the wifi didn't benefit me in the slightest, no better than with my HG635 router.

I find it rather large too, especially if your having to sit it next to your telephone socket like most people do on a table or tv stand etc as I have to do too, it may look slightly smarter (maybe) to some people, I agree with you about the single light too, although I found it no problem at all to switch the light off, but I actually quite like the flashing green lights on my HG635 so that I can always see if something or someone is using my connection, but that's just my thoughts on that point.

I had it sitting on the TV stand next to my Satellite box and I checked the 5GHz wifi signal on my TV and it was barely even giving me 2 bars, now if that's acceptable to anyone then they must need their heads looked, again just my own opinion.

They (talktalk) BOAST that it has 7 Antenna's and beamforming etc etc bla bla bla, SO WHAT ! the HG635 has 6 Antenna's and beamforming too, you would imagine with it having that one extra antenna it would surely improve overall wifi performance hands down but not for me it didn't, no gains over my HG635 again, the HG635 also has better on screen user settings and options too from what I seen, one main missing thing I noticed on it was that there was no option to disable TR-069 which basically means that anytime talktalk feel like messing with your router firmware/software they can do so, I don't trust that single option that it has for putting a tick in the box for turning off remote assistance or whatever they call that feature (I can't remember), I would have loved to have seen a TR-069 option but nope, it's not there from what I seen. 

Going back to boasting about having 7 antenna's, I think as usual they should have spent a couple of pounds on putting in a few good/great 'Quality' antennas rather than just 7 rubbish quality ones, when it comes to wifi, it's not quantity that matters really, it's better to have great or good quality ones, quality matters in wifi big time.

You would imagine I live in an old castle that has solid 4ft thick stone walls etc and that would give a good reason why the wifi is so garbage in my house, but it's the opposite of that being honest, it's a new build property that only has a single skin layer of brick for all the outer walls that hold the building up obviously and then some insulation and Gyproc interior walls everywhere, so in other words the wifi signal should sail through those paper walls and wooden floorboards, but no, in fact there hasn't been ANY talktalk router that can do the wifi job well, the HG635 remains about the best for me and the wifi on that is also pretty naff anyway, I mean it's utterly shocking when you have this new so called super fantastic amazing stunning super dooper wifi hub which boasts that it is the best hub of all providers as mentioned earlier and it can't even give me anything more than 1 or 2 bars wifi signal on my brand new top of the range £3000 Sony Bravia smart Tv and the hub was literally only 10 inches away from the tv, that is just madness, totally crazy and it was just a complete waste of time.

I tried all the usual troubleshooting steps to get better wifi signals but no matter what I done it just couldn't beat the HG635 which is what I am using again now, so I literally have walls of chalkboard (Gyproc) and upstrairs wooden floorboards in this small new build property and I still can't get anywhere near a good quality wifi signal, most of my devices are hard-wired now but I do have things that I would like to use wifi on but it's impossible, the 2.4GHz band is a bit better in terms of signal distance from router, but we all know that using 2.4GHz band will mean much slower speeds than 5GHz especially over any longer distances, I.E- in the garden or upstairs etc.

If you have decent new-ish electricity wiring in your house your far better off using powerlines for a more steady, reliable connection especially if your trying to watch live video streams and/or playing games etc, yes, they will also slow things down but the connection should remain stable as it's a hard wired feed, saves you having to run massive long ethernet cables all over the place from the router although that is without a doubt by miles the perfect and very best way to use/connect any router/hub/modem to devices rather than wifi.

I can't comment on any other features of the new wifi hub as I didn't try anything different other than what most people use their internet connection for and thats simply to plug and play or plug and use if your prefer to say it that way.

For me the all new Sagemcom fast wifi hub get's a big thumbs down and on a scale from one to ten for what it's meant to be and do etc I would give it roughly about a 3 or 4 out of 10, nothing is any better at all for me, in fact it's worse than my grand old HG635 router which must be about 8 years old since it was first announced on the internet (maybe even older, I don't know the exact age but I know it's an oldie, but a goodie :), I will never recommened the new Sagemcom wifi hub to anyone, especially whilst talktalk continue to actually charge people serious cash for this piece of junk, they should be hanging thier heads in shame charging people any money at all for the new wifi hub, it's a disgrace charging people for this joke of a piece of hardware, total farce !

Just my opinion. :thumbsdown:

Router TalkTalk HG635 - Firmware v1.06t on Large speed boost 76/20- unlimited phone boost - TalkTalk YouView Plus Tv Box
prawlin
Enlightened One

@Hammertime

Thanks for the lengthy reply! I'm not fully agreeing with you saying it's junk. Clearly it works well enough generally. Though it certainly might well not be the 'game changer' that the TT marketing bids describe it as. That's tosh for sure.

Maybe just maybe, the WiFi is overloading your TV thus causing the erroneous 2 bars indication?? Doubtful but technically possible. You have sited it extremely close by the sound of it. Perhaps move the router a little further away?

On the hub, I found the ping on Ookla speed tests via Ethernet to my pc to be around 60-80ms yet via WiFi to iPad and iPhone it was 6-9ms typically. So you might possibly have something on that matter. Speeds were comparable on all platforms. My Sync is only around 28 Mbps as I am quite some distance from my FTTC cabinet.

I will at some point go back to the HG635 for a comparison now that I'm on fibre service. Certainly the admin screens GUI system is far better on the HG635. It's a real dogs dinner on the Hub. 

Cheers

Peter

Khalid bedewi
First Timer

I had broadband on 01/04/19
And I cancel it before around 10/05/10 .
When I cancel they told me there is no extra charge, but they charge me £22.58 on 19/04/19 , over all they charge me again on 03/05/19
£19.95 ,
How bad you rob me of and you keep my bank PRIVATE personal information , with you and continuing rob my money when I did cancel it long time ago.

Give me my money back and don't west my time