would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Port forwarding NVR WiFi Hub

7 REPLIES 7
Timski77
First Timer

Hi, 

I've recently installed a couple of ip cctv cameras and an NVR at home. All works fine at home but I'd like to be able to set up port forwarding so I can access the NVR when outside my home network. Have trawled through various forums and Web advice but it is still doing my head in a bit and I can't seem to get it working. @KeithFrench you seem to be an authority on this stuff. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Tim 

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Tim, Keith will surely pick up as soon as he sees your post. Could you please give him a bit more info? Model of router, make of cameras, make of NVR?

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Timski77 

What TCP or UDP ports do you wish to forward? Please include screenshots of what you have tried on the hub.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Timski77
First Timer

Hi, 

Thanks for responding. I think I have managed to solve the issue with the port forwarding. Just needed to leave the external host box empty on the rules I'd set up and it worked. Unfortunately I now find that the Web interface on my Holis 4 channel POE NVR doesn't work in chrome or other browsers available on my android phone. I can get around this on my home computer by using 'ietab' extension which emulates Internet explorer but this doesn't work on mobile. Can now access the Web interface login screen remotely but can't get any further. Very frustrating!

Am now thinking that I'll need to access each camera individually. Is it possible to port forward more than one device? If so, how would you access them individually when browsing to my network's external ip address? Other option is to use an app on my phone called 'tinycam pro'. Have used this when on WiFi but nor sure how to setup to access cams remotely. Guess it requires port forwarding again.

I have latest T/T WiFi hub (not sure of model number) 

3 x hikvision cameras (2 x Exir 5mp turret & 1 x 3mp dome)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Tim

KeithFrench
Community Star

The external host should always be blank.

To access more than one you need to use different external ports and translate them to the normal port internally, something like this (if internal port was 80 as an example):-

Cam1

Ext 2081

Int 80

Cam2

Ext 2082

Int 80

Etc etc.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Timski77
First Timer

Hi, 

That makes sense but how then would I access each individual camera when browsing to my external IP address? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I'm new to this networking malarkey! 

Tim

KeithFrench
Community Star

If your public wan IP address was 1.2.3.4 for example, you would use for can 1:-

1.2.3.4:2081

For can 2:-

1.2.3.4:2082

The actual syntax used would depend on if you access from a browser or some app.

Keith

Timski77
First Timer

Thanks for your help - think I've got it sussed now!