Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

RJ11 ADSL or RJ45

7 REPLIES 7
paultf1
Conversation Starter

Hi all.

In theory what would be the best cable to use in a 15 meter run.

My hub is approx 13 meters from my TV+box.would it be best to use a 15 meter RJ45 cable and keep the hub close to the master socket, or would it be best to use a 15 meter RJ11 cable and move the hub closer to the TV+box. Hope this makes sense to someone out there.

Thank you;

Paul.

charlesb224
Wise Owl
always better to have a longer RJ45/Cat5 run. the shorter you can make the Hub cable to the BT Socket the better for reducing noise and interference.

Cat5/6 cable runs can be upto 100m with little degradation and support upto gigabit speeds. a little loss there is minimal compared to the loss of signal between BT Socket and the hub.
paultf1
Conversation Starter
Hi wise Owl.
Thank you for the info, got problems connecting with adapters, can get boost channels on catch up but not live.
Keep getting broadband problem between router and TvBox. On all boost channels.
ferguson
Community Star

Definitely worth trying with a direct ethernet connection. If you still have issues then post again in the TalkTalk TV section. 

paultf1
Conversation Starter

Yes I have, Karl is in contact with me, received a new hub this morning but still the same. 

Looking at the forum it seems a comment problem. 

Paul. 

ianr_tt
Conversation Starter

I'm using a 0.25m BT431 - RJ11 cable to keep the run from the master socket to the router super short. I bought it from these guys: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/comms4udotnet

As I'm not using any other telephony devices apart from the router, I was able to eliminate the microfilter as well and plug the router straight into the master socket.

My ethernet cables are 5m cat5e STP shielded ones. Helps to keep the interference down.

paultf1
Conversation Starter

Hello.

Thank you for your comments.

I have now got powerline adaptors from Talk Talk and that has cured my problem.

charlesb224
Wise Owl

@ianr_tt 

You should use the micro-filter.  Plugging into the TEST socket removes any filtering at all

even if you don't use a phone on the line, you will likely get interference.

You should put a micro-filter between the test socket and your modem, which will filter out all the usual voice frequencies, thus removing any possible interference from those frequencies.

Or, use a faceplate with a built in filter for a neater finish.