Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Understanding.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi All. 

This is not a fault or complaint, but of a matter of interest. 

When you change provider for fibre broadband, what actually  happens to the line. 

On go live day. I am trying to understand the different problems people have with failing or low 

Speeds, or WiFi issues. 

Am I right I saying that unless you change to cable your phone line and fibre line stay the same. 

At what point are changes made, to your line. 

Do company's sublet the line? as you do not have a new line every time you change providers. 

If that is the case then why do the problems start. Is it the change of router, that causes the problems or the new settings they have. I have read that WiFi can be affected by all sorts of issues such as other electrical, and blocked signals eg walls. 

If you connect by cable then am I correct in saying that the problem must lye with the cable it self, or router, or the line itself. Then That takes us back to the beginning when you change supplier, who do something to the line. 

I hope some teckos out there cure my curiosity, while pulling my hair out during lockdown. 

Thank you for your time in reading this article. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

All good questions

Wifi issues - that's entirely down to the equipment on your side of the linebox, and has got diddly squat to do with the external line. When broadband services were first launched in most countries, service providers generally expected customers to get their own modem and router and fix up their own wifi, if they wanted it; it's only more recently that ISPs have started sending out routers and access points to customers who order a broadband service. I think Greta Thunberg might be happier if ISPs didn't just assume that people wanted a new router every time they ordered a new service, but unfortunately the ISPs that believe their customers are capable of sourcing and configuring routers for themselves tend to be significantly more expensive than the ISPs that don't.

As for line changes - if you start off with a line from TalkTalk or BT or Sky, and you take either normal broadband or fibre-to-the-cabinet, or if you switch between any of these services, the line to your home is the same; the first point along your line at which anything will be physically different will be the street cabinet.

However, the line at your home will have to be changed (or an extra line added) either if you sign uo for Virgin Media, or if you switch to a fibre-to-the-premises service from either TalkTalk or BT or Sky.

The issue is that a lot of people who aren't that familiar with the technology, can find it difficult to figure out where the bottlenecks in the system are, and therefore tend to blame their ISP for wifi problems that are entirely down to the positioning of devices on the wrong side of reinforced concrete walls. But even though people don't have to change their internal domestic infrastructure when they get a new external service, those who are totally foxed by the router config tend to just swap it with the new one provided by the ISP anyway.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Weaver.

Thank you for your reply,I have found it interesting read.

I understand the wifi side of things,to be honest I have just left sky for Talktalk.

In my home I have the master socket by the front door,and use wifi extenders to connect to my  laptop, and also my upstairs tv,etc. to be honest I have never had an issue with the signal.

It is how they change the line in the cabinet that I was wondering about.As it did not make any sense to me why you should have problems with the line when its the same one.

I have been reading the forums,and  wondered if I have done the wright thing in changing to here.,with all the complaints about dropping out,and slow speeds etc. I will hopefully find out soon as my go live day is next Friday.I know that normally it is possible to be slow,or unstable the first 2 weeks so I am prepared for that. am having Fibre ,with the speed boost so hopefully

I should get the same speed as what I having now with sky. I wondered if they just hire the line out to the different IPS..Any way thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Paul

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for the comment.

Fibre-to-the cabinet (which TalkTalk brands as "faster fibre") uses VDSL, which is based on newer protocols than the ADSL that most copper-to-the-exchange services are based on (not just for the UK but the whole world, although there are some exceptions). Most off-the-shelf VDSL modems will also support ADSL, but an older ADSL modem might not work with VDSL. In that scenario, if you're moving from a copper to FTTC service and you only have an ADSL modem, you'll need to get a new modem, even though the physical line from the street cabinet will be the same. That said, since most VDSL modems support ADSL too, you can get a third party VDSL modem and configure it to use your existing ADSL service before it switches over - but you're likely to have to reconfigure the modem with different settings on the day of the change.

But there's no reason to change any of your internal infrastructure (such as wifi access points, homeplug and smart TVs) if you're happy with it. Your gateway modem or router may need to be changed or reconfigured, but everything else can stay the same.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

To put it more clearly - if you're using a router provided by your ISP but you have set up additional infrastructure (such as extra routers, switches, wifi, homeplug or smart TVs), then all your additional infrastructure can stay the same but you might have to change the ISP router. If you're using your own modem and router, you can probably keep that too, unless you're changing from ADSL to VDSL. But even if you can keep it, it might need reconfiguring.

Highlighted
Community Star

@paultf1 I can see that @weaver has offered plenty of excellent advice.

Just to add on the "settling in" period this too is a bit different from ADSL. A fibre line starts wide open at the maximum speed possible. DLM will then monitor that actively for the first 48 hours or so and make any adjustments automatically. All being well you should settle down to sync speeds comfortably within the estimates you are given. Bear in mind that most people come to this community with problems and that can give a rather skewed view. The vast majority of satisfied customers rarely come here to say that hey, I just thought I'd tell you everything is fine!

The other piece of advice I might add in respect of any wireless devices set up is that it is far easier to change the wifi password and network names (SSIDs) on any new router rather than changing all devices to match those already on the router. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thank you for your  comments in helping me understand about Fibre and ADSL, line and how its all connected.Also for anyone who as given me Likes. I did not think I would draw any interest on the subject. I understand more now from your comments.I think as a society we are quick to complain but slow in praising the good work of some to keep the lines working.It is understandable that things do go wrong,and it always seems slow to put things right.

May I change the subject now and ask another Question. 

I have also taken a Tv package with a box + and  my Fibre Broadband.I know that they are Freeview channels with the exception of tv boost. In my understanding of this is that you connect to the box + with wifi or a cable. I also understand that when you want to watch a programme from the tv boost pack then you are connected to the talk talk page to access those through the internet. 

So could someone explain why there are two going live days one for Broadband and one for the tv boost channels as you  can get  the Freeview  channels when you receive the box.through  youview for the freeview channels..I am not worried but just curious for the delay.

I hope you can give me some more comments on this subject.

Thank you again to all who have replied to this post, 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@ferguson  I'm sure you're right about "settling in" for ADSL and VDSL, but personally I've never bothered with it. When I first got ADSL, wifi modems didn't exist, and I connected my computer to the service by using a PCI DSL modem card that I had bought from Maplins, which I opened the case myself to insert. I had read forum comments while I was still using 56k dial-up about how settling-in works for this new thing called "ADSL", and why you should therefore keep it connected 24/7 - but for me, that wasn't an option, because I was living in a tiny cramped bedsit at the time, and the resulting computer fan noise would have prevented me sleeping.

So I kept with the PCI card until I had two computers, and when having to have internet-connection-sharing running on one of them in order to get the other one concurrently online was starting to nark me off. Then I got my first wi-fi modem router - but I didn't even enable the wi-fi functionality until I got my first feature phone that was able to do background email sync. It was only then that I started to get into the habit of keeping a modem on all the time.

So I can't say that download speeds wouldn't have been any faster; all I can say is I never noticed that it made any difference to speeds.

Having said that, line speeds aren't the only reason for keeping your modem connected. A relative of mine was still in the habit of turning their modem off when they weren't using it - until one day, Openreach muddled up their line with someone else's and left them disconnected, whoops. As long as your modem is connected, it will send line sync signals, and this helps Openreach and contactors to make sure they're connecting the right lines up at the cabinets and exchanges when things need to be shuffled about. Momentarily disconnecting your modem from time to time won't be a problem, but if you leave it disconnected for extended periods during the day, you're at increased risk of finding that you can't bring it back online again.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

To be honest I have never turned the modem off,only on the odd occasion when the need arose to reboot it. Yes tech as come along way , I started when it was blueyonder and you could go and make a cuppa while you waited for the page to load.lol.But now it changes so fast,its hard to keep up.trouble is the cost goes up with it.I just hope I do not have any problems with the setup of the modem. I Know how to set up the name and password on the modem for the laptop and then I just go around my wifi boosters and press the sync button.to change there settings.Fingers crossed Lol.I read somewhere  that you just plug in the modem and it sets it self up.Hope I get the modem soon so I can read all about it before Friday. I know that it can take up until midnight before it can go live.I keep on checking every day to see if they have sent out the modem out..knowing my look it would be midnight before going live.