cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Use Non-Talktalk router

ANSWERED
9 REPLIES
Highlighted
hoailinhtinh
Chatterbox

Hi, I have TP-LINK router. I try to connect it for use internet, but it said I have contact with talktalk to get userame and password. I chat with someone online and he said he can't give me userame and password because I'm not use talktalk router, I have to use talktalk router for connect TP-LINK router in. he make me so upset. Anyone in here can hepl me get userame and password for connect internet please. Thank you. 

ferguson
Community Star

TalkTalk don't use password authentication for fibre services, you need a Dynamic IP connection. As this is about a third-party router I have moved it to the General section of the forums. If you tell us what model it is then others may be able to help.

hoailinhtinh
Chatterbox

Yes, I'm have Fibre Broadband. I have TP-LINK Archer D50

ferguson
Community Star

As far as I can see that model has an ADSL modem only so will not work with a fibre service as a standalone unit, you need a VDSL modem/router. Unless you intend to use it with a separate fibre modem?

Victormeldrew666
Wise Owl

Bad news - the archer D50 is an adsl only modem/router. What you need for fibre (fttc) is a VDSL modem/router.

If you want a steer on what to buy - what is the maximum you are prepared to pay for a vdsl modem/router? If you want premium features please bear in mind these come at a price.

If you want gigabit ethernet ports and 5ghz wifi be prepared to spend at least £100.

Tp-link vdsl modem/routers can be a right pain to set up as on some models the quick set-up wizard does not work for talk-talk. (Just my own experience - takes 2 minutes if you know how to set them up or several hours and complete loss of hair on your head if you don't!).

hoailinhtinh
Chatterbox

Thank you for make me understand. So if I get VDSL modem/router I just put straight away in to phone line socket? Do I need to connect it via TalkTalk router? And I still need username and password isn't it?

ferguson
Community Star

If you want an all-in-one unit to replace your current TalkTalk device then it must be a VDSL modem/router in order to work on a fibre connection. And as I said earlier the connection method TalkTalk use does not require username/password authentication.

Can I ask which TalkTalk router you are using at the moment and why you are thinking of changing?

hoailinhtinh
Chatterbox
I'm use HG633 at the moment, sometimes it disconnected while I'm play game on pc, I contact customer service for check it and they said no problem with my line, that's why I'm try different router, hope internet get better.
ferguson
Community Star
Solution

OK, can I make a suggestion? This may not be something that can be solved by buying your own router, so before you go down the road of spending any extra money why not start a topic in the help section of the forums where the TalkTalk support team will look into and help with your issue? Click here to do that and then explain in a few words what the problem is.

hoailinhtinh
Chatterbox
Thank you for make a suggestion for me. I keep using talktalk router. I will make new topic of router have any problems. Thank you for your help me today.