cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What is the best wifi extender for talk talk wireless?

2 REPLIES 2
yuzhu_yu
First Timer

I live in an apartment and my router is in the living room on the first floor. My bedroom is on the third floor so the wifi does not reach it. I was wondering which wifi extender works best for my Samsung Note 3 and my Iphone 7?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Always avoid wireless repeaters, extenders that connect back to the router via the mains wiring to a LAN port on the router are generally the best. Dual band units will be more expensive than single band ones.

The problem with all single band units (or the 2.4GHz band on a dual band unit) is that there are only three wireless channels you can use - 1, 6 or 11. Your router will be using one and the extender needs another. This is before you start considering how congested with other networks the 2.4GHz band is, if it is bad no extra wireless AP will help at all, in fact, it could make things worse.

Before spending any money, you really need to use a Wi-Fi analyser in your property first just to see how congested this band is.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

aloisegam
Visitor

Hi KeithFrench, I feel that there are some Wi-Fi extenders that work perfectly for Talk Talk. This is because these extenders are easy to connect and give you some excellent performance. However, to get a good Wi-Fi extender, you will need to evaluate the following:

• Range: We all want a Wi-Fi booster because the current router is not covering our homes fully with Wi-Fi. Thus you will need to evaluate the range that is not covered currently and get an extender with a larger coverage as compared to the need. However, you need to check for obstacles between your extender and your devices including concrete walls and metallic objects.
  • The number of devices: Since our homes have become smarter these days, getting an extender that will support all the connected devices will go a long way in addressing your needs. There are several extenders that can support multiple devices on Wi-Fi in addition to Ethernet connections.
  • Wi-Fi speeds: It would be traumatizing if when you move with your devices they get a massive change in the internet speeds. This is seen when you get an extender with a massively lower throughput as compared to your router. Therefore, it is important to get an extender that will support your required Wi-Fi speeds.
  • The number of bands: Most of the routers in the market today are either dual-band or tri-band. You need to get a Wi-Fi extender that is at least a dual-band if you want the best performance in your home. However, if you are not after the dual-band throughput, you can get a single band Wi-Fi extender.

All these features are available in several extenders. As I was exploring getting the best extender for my home, I got to meet an article that made it easy for me to choose. The article expounds more on the features addressed above. The article is: https://technologyreviewer.com/best-wi-fi-extender-for-talk-talk-internet/