would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

When will TalkTalk support IPv6

ANSWERED
stoatgobbler
Super Duper Contributor

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/28/ipv6_now_faster_a_fifth_of_the_time/

IPv6 now faster than IPv4 when visiting 20% of top websites – and just as fast for the rest

"OK, now you need to reboot your computer. .... Um, sir, please stop kicking it."
www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/helldeskcable.html~content
speculatrix
Team Player

@speculatrix wrote:

this thread has been going for two years and two months. 

Not too long before it will be three years since this thread started... and not a peep from TalkTalk.

42picky
Participant
Let me know if you succeeded. I am just looking for a reason for canceling my contract and to switch to another provider.
The inability to access a lot of the IP space seems like a genuine reason to cancel a contract.
CharlesB
TalkTalk Team

A question on this...you mention not being able to access parts of the IP world means you wil have to move.

Can you expand on this. I am not aware that if an ISP like TT being on IPv4 means that you wont be able to access IPv6 sites. Can you provide examples?

stoatgobbler
Super Duper Contributor

www.loopsofzen.co.uk for starters.

Anything which has a AAAA DNS record and no A record - that's about 10% of the internet's websites at the moment.

Direct access into the US Academic Internet2 network (which I need for my work) and the chinese academic high speed network (ditto) as well as pretty much anything actually in Burma (which is where my wife and inlaws live), Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Mongolia.

There are workarounds if you're on IPv4 only, but they are exactly that - workarounds, which are clunky at best.

You fcan't go directly from IPv4 (32 bit addressing) to IPv6 (128 bit addresses) without some form of gatewaying and all those gateways have their own sets of problems, including being costly to use in many cases. 

I object to paying for "internet access" when it's actually a walled garden.

It's about time Ofcom made good on the undertaking to disallow non-ipv6 providers from calling themslves ISPs once usage hit a threshold. The world's IPv6 traffic NOW is more than TWICE what the world's IPv4 traffic WAS 8 years ago when they made that undertaking.

"OK, now you need to reboot your computer. .... Um, sir, please stop kicking it."
www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/helldeskcable.html~content
aoxm84
Problem Solver

Sky and BT, the two largest UK ISPs, are fully IPv6 enabled now. I've been using native IPv6 on Sky for six months now. Time for TalkTalk to catch up.

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Well as They Dont need to reply , Goodbye TalkTalk in March or Sooner if I can prove your Lack of Suppy of Service ( ohh wait my Download has dropped again now 1.3mbs ) Lack of Proper Service check Contract

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Thanks for the Info Stoatgobbler:

think I might contact OFCOM myself about this matter as talk talk dont want to reply

davmil50
Wizz Kid

OKay People following this Thread,

Official start of complaint made tonight via complaints telephone Number ( Poor guy in The Phillipians Call Centre),

Step 1 completed

Step 2 await for reply to complaint ( They have 30 Days)

Step 3 Bump it Up to Higher Compaint

If Still not Resolved complaint Will be accepted by OFCOM

Lose of ISP Status would be The Outcome for TalkTalk

Maybe They might answer this?????

David

speculatrix
Team Player

I kind of hope TT won't announce IPv6 before the end of this month,  because we'll be able to hold a third birthday party for this thread, and celebrate TT making no response whatsoever about it 🙂

I'd still like a pro-rata discount because I can't access the 2^128 bits of the internet lost to me, so I should only pay a ratio of 2^32 / 2^128, which is basically £0.

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Well People its Now Feburay the 4th 2017 , Happy Birthday thread for Not Getting a response from Talk Talk.

As To The issue at hand , Early post was that I Started a Compaint Havn't heard anything from them , No Response , Nothing not even an acknowledgement of Complaint Logged ( Bit odd)

ferguson
Community Star

@davmil50 I am not sure what your issue is here as this isn't your thread, or what you have raised a complaint about? Do you have a topic of your own on which you are awaiting a response?

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Hi Ferguson, Yes and if you scrool back You will find my gripe about IPV4 and wether or not talktalk should be switching over to IPV6 , which I Think this thread is all about ( Yes) and the compaint is about Failure to Supply A proper Service as an ISP provider in line with Ofcoms guide lines, but if you want will unfollow this thread

David

ferguson
Community Star

OK, sorry, I am genuinely not getting what it is you want from the community?

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Thats okay But A reply from TalkTalk would be nice

ferguson
Community Star

That's what I'm getting at, a reply to what? I'll help if I can, honestly!

speculatrix
Team Player

Happy Third Birthday to the "Re: When will TalkTalk support IPv6" discussion group.

Please, join us, with a small drink - only 32 fl oz, not 128 fl oz!!

I note that someone started a thread in the TT Trials forum:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-Trials-Discussions/IPV6-rollout/td-p/1999532

ferguson
Community Star

There are several threads on the subject, here's another one where there is a relatively recent TalkTalk response: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/IPv6-support/m-p/1974596

That's why I wondered what the question was, if it was as such? It will happen when it happens, presumably.

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Sorry Ferguson ,

Just got this as Line had droped again , BT Are Upgrading the Main line to Fibre at last .

A Reply from A ; Complaint Made to TalkTalk About Breach of Contract . Faillying to Supply a Proper ISP

B Just an update for all

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Latest Update:-

No Reply to complaint ( Why ?Its not logged)

so new complaint Started Bye Bye TT

BT Are offering £25.00 unlimited BB ,phone speed upto 5 MBS ( Beats 3.5 & Below )