Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

When will TalkTalk support IPv6

ANSWERED
ferguson
Community Star

Again, I'm confused. What is the nature of your complaint and have you raised it via the formal channels? What has BT's latest marketing offer got to do with it?

aoxm84
Problem Solver

Presumably @davmil50 is raging mad about the lack of IPv6 on TalkTalk and is moving to a provider which has it (BT).

davmil50
Wizz Kid

aoxm84:

Yes I Am :

BT Charges £25, landline , Unlimited broad band + plus add ons  Router Delivery £9.99 Bettere Service and Connection with NO drop in download???

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Sorry Also Willing to Pay for your Switch Via Credit to BT Account

aoxm84
Problem Solver

Ok, let us know how well you get on with IPv6 on BT, I've had it for almost a year on Sky and it works really well.

MarioCaires
First Timer

Have to say it is quite a joke this whole ipv6 situation with TT, however in general all ISP's in the UK are also pretty much behind most major ISP's in other EU countries...

As my experience today, my parents leaving in the Portuguese island of Madeira in an area where you have around one house per 200 metres just got Fibre 200/100 (yes 100Mb upload) with ipv6 support! Almost mind blowing to say the least... 

CharlesB
TalkTalk Team

As the new COO in TalkTalk I did want to post a quick message and we will followup in the coming months with more information on this important topic.

We are very much aware that in the coming few years IPv6 traffic will surpass 50% of global Internet traffic (most implementations will be dualstack) so ensuring we support this is very important. In the past ISP's have moved early because they have been worried about IP addressing capacity as a key reason which we are ok with. The counter to doing this too early was a concern that implementations (by content owners) were slower. We are following this closely and know that this is changing rapidly which is very positive.

To be clear our core network supports IPv6 (but not end devices) so we have been actively working on this but I am conscious we have not communicated or acknowledged this. So my team are working this as a priority and over the coming months I will be asking them to provide updates to the community on this and other investments we have made and will be making.(DLM DNS Email etc)

We will be much more open about what we have done and will do going forward and I hope you will appreciate this and give us feedback about what is important.

aoxm84
Problem Solver

@CharlesB wrote:

We are very much aware that in the coming few years IPv6 traffic will surpass 50% of global Internet traffic (most implementations will be dualstack) so ensuring we support this is very important. In the past ISP's have moved early because they have been worried about IP addressing capacity as a key reason which we are ok with. The counter to doing this too early was a concern that implementations (by content owners) were slower. We are following this closely and know that this is changing rapidly which is very positive. 

I never saw any reason for ISPs to delay IPv6 rollout. Can you explain what you mean by "implementations (by content owners) were slower"? Why would it matter how quickly content owners implement IPv6 when a dual-stack connection can connect to IPv4-only websites just fine?

Or maybe you mean that IPv6 is slower than IPv4, which I've never seen any evidence of. In fact, the reverse appears to be true, since IPv6 links are less saturated than IPv4 ones.

stoatgobbler
Super Duper Contributor

I think he meant that actual IPv6 sites were rarer. A lot of popular sutes are still IPv4 only - but then again a lot of them haven't bothered getting around to https either (or have broken https websites that mix https and http on the same page, causing browsers to gripe loudly)

Bottom line: People are lazy. They'll only implement stuff when their feet are held to the fire and usually only just enough to make the hurting stop, rather than "doing it properly"

"OK, now you need to reboot your computer. .... Um, sir, please stop kicking it."
www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/helldeskcable.html~content
aoxm84
Problem Solver

Well whatever he meant, I won't consider moving back to TalkTalk until I can have an IPv6 address like I do on Sky.

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Right Guys &Gals :

A: TT willnot do IPV6 

B: Bt Does and Hey they are cheaper than TT £27:98 a month thats with anytime calling,

where as TT are charging £30+ with caller discount.Ends this Month.

So Guess who signed UP For IPV6 Provider at below that price ???

edwardelkhatib
First Timer

As the new COO at talk talk may I suggest you familiarse your techincal support teams with what IPv6 is?  Today when I called i got put thru to 3 diffrent people who did not have a clue about what I was talking about.  It was a simple question "is talk talk going to support IPv6" all I got is I have never heard of this and I cannot find the answer on my computer.  Pretty rubbish really from a tech support team.  I realised I was dealing with people who know nothing about the techincal side of things when I asked them to tell me what was the talk talk latest super router model number, the answer was I have to look this up!! I said is it the 633 or the 635 and they didnt know.  As the new COO of talk talk you need to address these issues because its embarrasing at how bad and unprofessional your tech support team come across. If it wasnt for my contract end date a year away I would have cancelled my service with you and moved to a proper providor.  I shall next year be taking my business elswhere as it seems nobody really knows whats going on.  You should provide proper support with people who understand the services you supply or know about industry standards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edwardelkhatib

Just for clarification, was that the Technical Support team or the normal Customer Services team ?

Most calls are only routed from the Customer Services team to the Technical Teams if there is an outstanding issue with a TT sevice which cannot be resolved by the first line team.

One should know, there is little reason for the other to know.

davmil50
Wizz Kid

Thought This Topic Was Done and Dusted :

Talk Talk Will Not Supply IPV6 ;

Due To The Fact That They Have Spent Millions on IPV 4 Because they got them CHEAP ,

We The User Pay,

When We Should Be Paying for This :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/257037/ipv6_five_things_you_should_know.html

davmil50
Wizz Kid

SOO Secure Bridge Betwteen IPV4 & IPV 6 Offering Same Protecetion, Less Scam Calls( From TT Techchinical Serivec ) Via VOIP???????

charlesb224
Wise Owl

@Gondola @CharlesB

I have asked about this on a number of occasions, and whilst we have a 'unofficial' response from CharlesB, this was nearly (18 day until!) a year since this update was posted.

Whilst I'm certain that things are moving, the overall content of the message was that IPV6 was a priority to TT, and that there was a concerted effort to both:

1. Address the IPV6 rollout

2. Communicate more effectively to customers

Silence is normally the watchword (in IT Projects at least :-) ) for "don't tell anyone we dropped the ball."

I sincerely hope that we can have another more upbeat/positive update from the COO with a better timescale on the rollout (and maybe an update cadence put in place...)

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @charlesb224

You're aware that CharlesB has provided an 'unofficial' TalkTalk response on IPv6.

As a customer I'm aware that the access network topology is being upgraded, edge routers are being upgraded. So, to me it looks like there's progress towards full support of IPv6. But that's just a customer talking.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

charlesb224
Wise Owl

Hi @Gondola

I find it difficult to comprehend how you know - as a customer- that the access topology and Edge routers are being upgraded...  I count myself quite technically literate and capable, but as soon as I leave the confines of my home network, I only see IP addresses, hops and latency.  I cannot see the physical kit that exists within the TalkTalk Network.

Anyhow, what I was driving at in my message to you and CharlesB was the message from CharlesB:

"As the new COO in TalkTalk I did want to post a quick message and we will followup in the coming months with more information on this important topic."

Key phrases in this one sentence:  We Will FollowupComing months, with more Information, Important Topic

None of that has occurred, whatever might be going on behind the scenes, the communication to customers has been non-existent.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @charlesb224

Keep an eye on Service Status and Planned Maintenance. The network upgrades have been going on for a while now. 

But you're quite right to take the TalkTalk COO to task. After all @CharlesB did promise to update us all on progress towards full IPv6 implementation.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

speculatrix
Team Player

My 18 month discount came to an end, so I left TalkTalk. This is only my backup service, my primary is with Zen who offer native ipv6/v4 dual stack.
Sadly, my cheapest option meant moving this backup line to PlusNet who are also living in the past.