cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

bridge mode working on HG633

ParallelPort
Popular Poster

Stagger321 I have just seen your previous post from 03-10-2018 01:43 PM that indeed you had the same limited Bridged options that I now have.  
But I have tried many times trying the different limited Bridged mode options and I see that the router is not getting a internet IP.

ianr_tt My HG633 has a hardware version of H.1.01 and a firmware version of V1.15t.  I have tried both a factory reset through the web interface and a factory
reset using the pin hole reset button but neither has brought back the full Bridged mode options I had before.

stagger321
Chat Champion

Hi @ParallelPort,

Re your point to @ianr_tt  - if you have moved to VDSL2 from ADSL2+, which is what I assume has happened here, you will always end up with these limited options on the Internet connection page of the HG633. 
Your HG633 knows the feed it is getting from TT and provides you the appropriate settings. There is no control over this if you are on a VDSL2 feed which is what you must be if you are getting over 24Mbps. So it matters not how many times you hit the reset button.

When you have the settings the same as mine the power and broadband lights remain solid green but the Internet light goes red. This is normal. If it looks like that you are about done with the HG633 settings.

DHCP and NAT should be handled via your linux router, not by the HG633, so if anything is different there please disable it.

At this point you have the HG633 setup and its really down to your router setup, and at this point I have to defer any advise, as I am not aware of your settings, or how to configure them for your device.

If there is no-one here with your router setup I suggest you look to users on another forum.

I have had invaluable advice from the Small Net Builder forum (google 'snbforum') - in fact it was a combination of advice for the HG633 here, and additional stuff from the snbforum for the ASUS.

All I can show you is what I have on my ASUS WAN page - which gives little away unfortunately. A combination of the HG633 settings I have indicated above, and the ASUS settings gives me a rock solid bridged setup.

Asus WAN.JPGASUS WAN page

Cheers

Stagger
ParallelPort
Popular Poster

Over 2 calls I spent 60 minutes on the phone to TalkTalk helpline who could not fix this.  Basically the people who work at the call center don't understand how a router works other than following a fault finding flow chart.  Maybe a TalkTalk engineer could help me but they don't work at or transfer their knowledge to a helpline call center.

So at this point the only thing I can try is to turn on Remote Management for the chance that my Huewei HG633 router gets its firmware upgraded from V1.15t to something higher that will bring back all the Brideged mode options I have lost.

stagger321
Chat Champion

@ParallelPort

While I admire your resilience here, I'm not sure you got the message in my last post.

Yes the TT customer service follow a script, but I'm not sure what you are expecting here.

The router is putting out a bridged signal if you see the same LEDs as I do.

Can't see TT adding in any extra bridged options for you by way of any firmware upgrade. You ( and me ) are running in a non standard config from their perspective.

Good luck, but I really think you are wasting your time. I strongly recommend you look at your routers config, and not expect any extra from a ''free" router.

Cheers

Stagger
ParallelPort
Popular Poster

The reason I am frustrated with this is that I had briged mode with PPPOE working before my speed upgrade on last Monday.  So I am dealing with a step backwards.

Now with less options I can set 'Bridged mode' and the Internet LED goes red but the router is not getting a Internet IP for a PPOE client to use.

stagger321
Chat Champion

Mate, I've already tried to tell you more than once, you have gone from a ADSL2+ feed to VDSL2 feed. Don't be surprised that the formats available are different.

If you really want the old options available to you you will have to ask TT to downgrade you line speed.
Other than that, have you approached you routers forum or the SNB forum I mentioned?

Cheers

Stagger
ParallelPort
Popular Poster

Ok I finally got the HG633 to behave as a modem forwarding the internet IP to another computer - my Linux server.

The difference is that when I was on the slowest package - 17Mbit I needed to use a PPOE client to connect to a LAN IP that the HG633 had.  But with the faster 38Mbit speed deal Bridged mode is simpler in that the HG633 just forwards the internet IP to a single network client with its IP settings to use DHCP IP so it will grab the internet IP. This was confusing to me because the router was not showing it had a internet IP address when instead it was forwarding it to do a single dhcp client.

stagger321
Chat Champion

OK, thats great news.

Mines been rock solid since I have it configured this way. Don't remember the last time I had to reboot it.

Cheers

Stagger
marcofm
First Timer

Please help me to configure two TT HG633.  I am a real rookie.  A step-by-step will be very much appreciated.  I know what I want but not entirely sure HOW... My intended configuration below:

HG633.jpg

Thank you.

Always looking for a smart answer...