Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog phones lines what happens to our landline number after 2025.

mrwrighty
Whizz Kid
Message 15 of 15

BT are turning off analog lines by the end of 2025. This will have a dramatic affect on all services using traditional phone lines including your home phone, alarm systems, care systems, emergency call systems etc. The impact on the elderly will be huge as you will no longer be able to plug a traditional analog phone in to a wall socket, it will need a suitable adapter in to a suitable router or a VOIP phone service. How many will loose their services and their long held phone numbers without realising it, not just with TalkTalk but any telecoms provider.

As we are only 3 years away from this happening and there is a move to full fibre, I cannot see any options to migrate phone numbers to the cloud or SIP services from TalkTalk. 

Are there any plans for TalkTalk to provide such a service. If not when will you inform users who wish to keep their phone numbers how they can migrate to alternative services.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

@ferguson sorry I did not mean to offend. I merely was pointing out that not everyone has a "you and I" to turn to in situations like this.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 2 of 15

@mrwrighty, I agree with you. 

If I didn't spend so much time on this site, I would never have known this was in the pipeline, and it might actually not happen at a time that is convenient for the individual customer.

Technology is developing faster than many of us can cope with already, and it doesn't always do the job better than previous methods. 

Thanks for posting the topic, because each time someone talks about it the public will become more informed and aware.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 3 of 15

@mrwrighty wrote:

You assume that all elderly have someone to turn too. 

I most certainly do not, I specifically said "... those like you and I."  😕

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi,

No I understand. Once we know more then we will be contacting all our customers with more information. I'm sorry I can't provide any more specific information on this at the moment.

Thanks

Message 5 of 15

I don't think the switch from analog to digital TV is a fair comparison. Its still a TV plugged in to an Aerial or TV box. Granted the aerial may not have been up to receiving digital TV, but thats not a life or death situation. The move away from analog telephone systems is far more complex with far more challenges and points of failure and could actually be a life or death decision for some people especially with home medical equipment and vulnerable single people with little or no contact with the outside world let alone anyone around to help them with the transition. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

You assume that all elderly have someone to turn too. There are many isolated elderly who perhaps don't have family or even friends that could help them through this transition. You also assume that most people are tech savvy enough to install such equipment. To many the telephone is their lifeline and will not have a clue as to how to keep their numbers and will find the transition process extremely confusing.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 15

Hello,

This would be a similar situation to when TV changed from analogue to digital and at the time their was a full scale campaign to prepare customers in advance. Before the switch happens for the voice service we will be providing plenty of notice especially to our more vulnerable customers who may need assistance or more help with the adjustment.

Thanks

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 15

I agree that many people may not be aware just now, but why should they be? I am sure as the time draws nearer there will be a full-on publicity campaign and those like you and I with elderly parents will help them through the process.  

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Thanks @ferguson. I wasn't aware that Ofcom had posted this, but to be fair how many people actually realise this and this is my point. It is not exactly a site that many people will go to for such information if they are not aware of the changes ahead, where are the public announcements and press coverage of this and how many people understand the impact on them. Instead of a small box on the wall to which your phone is connected we have a small box on the wall connected to a router that is connected to a USP that is connected to the mains assuming you want your phone to continue to work in a blackout, hardly a step forwards in convenience. Broadband tends to be affected by more outages than a traditional phone line. Granted its still 99% uptime, but when is the last time you lost a voice line. Equally how do you test a line with no dial tone, there will be more points of failure now than in the past. Is it the broadband service is it the SIP service, it is my router, is it my socket. Don't get me wrong we use VOIP services and FTTP to the premises at work, but we had a fibre outage 2 months ago due to a power failure at a distribution hub 12 miles away. Our systems went down for 3 days. We had to set up call divert from SIP to mobile to keep the business running and use our failover FTTC service to keep the internet going. Yes we have the ability to do that now that perhaps we didn't have with analog, but surely this cannot be viewed as a sensible way forwards for every single analog line in existence.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 15
0 Likes

mrwrighty
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 15

I know that TalkTalk don't provide just phone lines as a service, but I dont think people realise that this change forced by BT will mean that everyone that currently has an analog phone line will need to purchase a broadband service to continue to have a home phone. My mum is a typical example. She is elderly and pays £20 a month for a phone service with inclusive calls (Not with TalkTalk I hasten to add). She will now have to pay for a broadband service from a provider, have a router plugged in to a wall socket and either her phone connected to the router assuming its capable or move her phone number to a VOIP service. If there is a power cut her phone service dies unless she has a UPS. Currently phone systems are generally not affected by power outages. How will vulnerable people cope. How will the elderly that live on their own and not tech savvy know what to do next.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi,

Fibre will eventually replace all copper cabling (used to provide the phone service) with fibre optic cabling and voice calls will be made over the internet connection the same way as calls are made today (with a handset)

Thanks

0 Likes

Perplex2
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 15

Without a landline, how will we access internet at all? 

We cannot afford any of the expensive high speed broadband that is on offer in our area.

Will talktalk have to do a deal with these high-cost providers?  

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

TalkTalk are trialling a Data Voice service presently. All providers and suppliers of other services such as alarm systems etc. are well aware of Openreach plans and will have to take steps to adjust their systems accordingly. When the time comes there should be no impact on end users. 

0 Likes