cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Anyone is able to use their number on Twitter and Google registrations?

14 REPLIES 14
Wondering
Team Player

I can't seem to do so, the former says it's not a valid number.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Wondering 

Twitter expect you to sign up with an email address and or mobile number. FAQ

This is because they normally expect to send verification and notification messages by text to email or SMS text to the mobile. You can select a voice call to verify your registration but they don't send twitter message notifications by voice call. 

TalkTalk's landline 'phone service is not enabled for SMS texts.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

Wondering
Team Player

I don't think it being a landline is the problem, as I could do it successfully with BT's before.

Gondola
Community Star

...The BT network is enabled for SMS text messages to landline 'phones. TalkTalk's network is not.

There's the answer.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

Wondering
Team Player
So, effectively TT users are excluded from social networks. Awesome.
martswain
Philosopher

@Wondering wrote:
So, effectively TT users are excluded from social networks. Awesome.

Not at all, TT do not support SMS to landlines as previously mentioned.

Social networks work absolutely fine, you just cannot register with a TT landline number.

Martin, just a customer trying to help.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Wondering 

I agree with Martin. "Social networks work absolutely fine for TalkTalk customers."

I'm not one to be 'tweeting' here there and everywhere but those that do find their static devices at home like desktop pc, laptops, notebook and tablets can access Twitter via TalkTalk broadband and the Wi-Fi of the TalkTalk router.

Mobile devices at home connect to Twitter using Wi-Fi and then via mobile network data or hot-spot Wi-Fi when out and about.

Wondering
Team Player
I'm surprised throughout the years it's never been brought up, considering the amount of people registered here that probably want to register there too.
Gondola
Community Star

...I don't recall any Twitter users mentioning the issue of no SMS texting to and from TalkTalk landlines. But the request for SMS texting to and from TalkTalk landlines has previously been brought up as an Idea.

Wondering
Team Player
When one chooses an ISP whether social media is accessible to registration or not isn't exactly a priority, but it's such a pity... and ironic that a company with seemingly a focus on 'talk' has such consequences. Of course, it's not like it's all to blame, I'm not even sure why they require phones since spambots still can seemingly register.
Wondering
Team Player
This is completely unacceptable, without a Google account (even though they claim verification is supposedly optional) I can barely even use an Android device. How funny, TalkTalk without a phone! I'm going to consider changing ISPs if it continues being so stupid, it's even worse that it's been raised years ago.
martswain
Philosopher

With the rapidly declining use of landlines, I wouldn't hold your breath that any ISP that currently doesn't support what you want is going to bother to enable it.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Wondering 

I'm left wondering if your remarks are just fatuous for effect. Yes, Google have ramped up authentication security. Is that a bad thing? Or to keep you safe and secure?

As Martin correctly says texting to landlines is unlikely to be implemented. Landlines are 'dead' in terms of radical new investments. 

BT are continuing with plans to close down the copper line network over the next few years.  Before long we'll all be using voice over internet 'phones and provided with voice, messaging, texting and multimedia delivery with 'phones connected to our broadband networks. 

More new routers are appearing with a socket to connect up your home 'phone. That's the future for texting to a home 'phone if that's what you're looking for.

martswain
Philosopher

At our Thai properties, with full FTTP, each router provides two connections for phone lines.

VOIP is the future, RIP the copper/aluminium line, the sooner the better !

Wondering
Team Player

Well, if VOIP is accepted by these verification systems and it can be provided by TT I wouldn't mind, but is it? And Google hasn't ramped up anything, I came across the fact they don't ask for a number if done through mobile... so, what security, they just want to annoy desktop users, but Twitter still remains inaccessible, and that has nothing to do with security either as spambots are able to register in droves.