Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad crackling on landline

Hammertime
Wise Owl
Message 42 of 42

I have bad crackling on my talktalk landline.........Done every troubleshooting tip that TT ask to be tried..........Bought a brand new hardwired phone yesterday too and tried that and same crackling on that too, also tried a third phone I got a loan of and same crackling on that too...........I only started noticing the crackling since yesterday morning (Fri 19th Nov 2021)............. Can I have this fixed please a.s.a.p.             Kind regards.

Router TalkTalk HG635 - Firmware v1.06t on Fibre 65 and Unlimited calls phone boost, and Fixed price plus boost for full 2 year contract Nov 2021 to Nov 2023 which stops ANY PRICE INCREASES for entire contract length.
0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 1 of 42

Hi Hammertime

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Yes this is one of the newer sockets. If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie

Hammertime
Wise Owl
Message 2 of 42

Ok Update.

The engineer came yesterday afternoon 30th Nov 2021.

Fitted new phone socket first and then checked street cabinet and said there were no corroded connectors etc and I'm also sure she said that she had already been down at the exchange to check things out too.

So, the phone crackling wasn't there anyway since the last I reported it in here and it's still not here now.

As I said, she fitted a new phone socket in the house, I have attached 3 photos in the PDF file, one of the socket that was previously fitted and worked perfect for all the years I've been with Talktalk, and two photos of the new socket she fitted.

Internet speed and ping times are much the same as before but I have noticed a slight increase in the download speed in tests, depending on what server I choose I can see my download speeds sometimes reaching 75.76Mbps and before this I would normally see 75.50Mbps or very slightly more like 75.80Mbps etc (once in a blue moon the speed used to go as high as maybe 79 or 80Mbps but very seldom), so a very slight increase in normal terms depending on if I can find a server that will show me that in speedtest . net, and if I search through all the servers on the speed test website I can see my upload speeds into 19.40Mbps like it used to be before crackling on phone, but I have to search hard to find a server on the test to show me an upload speed over 19Mbps, nearly all show 18+ but not 19, apart from the one or two I get lucky on.

Apart from that, that's it, she said there will be no cost, no money charges or anything and a very polite and listening engineer unlike a lot if not most of the male engineers that turn up for anything from washing machine repairs to tv repairs etc, yes, good, very good to see a female in that type of career indeed, and she turned up slightly earlier than planned after a phone call to check I was ok with it which I was as I just wanted it done.

Anyway, one question for the forum, the new socket fitted you will see two photos of, can anyone tell me if this is the very latest BT Openreach socket or is there a newer one than this ?

P.S, the engineer said that the old socket which I show one photo of may well have been the cause of the crackle on the line, what do you think ? Just a question to anyone that wishes to give their opinion that's all.

Oh and I got an email from them yesterday to say that the fault had been fixed and they would be keeping an eye on it etc, but the email didn't state anything about what caused it and what they think may have fixed it hopefully as the only thing done was the new socket being fitted, so nothing certain about what caused it and nothing certain to say it won't happen again and I know that nothing is certain in this life, so I know that they can't say it won't return obviously.

It all went smoothly and great to have a pleasant female engineer too, we shall see how things go now.

(see attachment, 2 photos of new wall socket fitted and one of the previous wall socket)

Router TalkTalk HG635 - Firmware v1.06t on Fibre 65 and Unlimited calls phone boost, and Fixed price plus boost for full 2 year contract Nov 2021 to Nov 2023 which stops ANY PRICE INCREASES for entire contract length.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 42

Message 4 of 42

Ok, cheers, I will update the post as I go along 😉

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 42

The engineer might well want to start by checking what is going on at the master socket, @Hammertime, and then work out from there to the exchange  / holes in the street etc.

Make sure you have prepared easy access at the master socket!

Mine kept in touch very well, including contacting me 20 minutes ahead of arriving  - luckily as that was to be by 1pm, and he actually arrived with just a minute or two to spare. Don't despair if the engineer is not there at the start time of the appointment range.

After working in the house, he called me from the exchange. I was also able to call back to his specific mobile, as we had to keep checking line quality to make sure the crackling really had gone. 

Good luck on Tuesday!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Hammertime
Wise Owl
Message 6 of 42

I spoke too soon.

The internet went off just now for about maybe just a few minutes @approx 2.59am, so I  instantly went on and checked the phone and just like magic there was slight crackling on the line.

We are being hammerd right now with stormy weather, coincidence ? maybe, maybe not, there still shouldn't be any fault either way, just wanted to update. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 42

@Chris-TalkTalk , yes they got in touch via mobile phone etc yesterday (friday) to say that too, thanks for your reply and I just pray they dont make things worse because I have always had a rock solid VERY FAST internet connection with TT, it normally always sits at 75.3 to 75.6Mbps download and 19Mbps upload, sometimes it can hit 80 though, it's always been like this in all the years I've been with talktalk.

The ping times have always been rock solid too depending on what servers I ping obviously, using the Dos Cmmd in windows to check (the best way), always very low ping time speeds which is what it should be like if there is an excellent line connection, the line has always been excellent, has never once failed apart from away years ago when I first joined TT, and well, UNTIL NOW WHEN THE DREADED crackling started on the phone as I said one my first post in this thread.

It's defo an Intermittent fault this crackling, defo !

For, example, since it was first reported there has only been the odd day here and there that just slight crackling could be heard, right now there is no crackling, but when reported, the noise was so bad callers could't hear me and I couldn't hear them, but right now no crackling which equals an intermittent fault for sure.

I also check my broadband speeds and ping times several times a day neary every day, and like i mentioned in an earlier post, because I'm addicted to checking these things, I do notice a very very tiny fractional increase in ping times and a tiny fractional decrease in download and upload broadband speeds, remember with ping times your talking in milliseconds, so we'er talking very tiny fractions here, but I still noticed the difference soon as the crackling was noticed on phone, and likewise with the internet speed too maybe only about 1Mbps to 1.8Mbps slower, so again quite fractional, but I did notice, I also get the feeling that some websites take a touch longer to open too, all this ONLY since crackling on phone started.

Anyway, I just pray the engineer doesn't screw things right up as witnessed before personally with other providers in different properties long time ago etc.

I'm still convinced it's corroded crimp connectors or terminal blocks causing this wee fault like mentioned in an earlier post in this thread by a retired bt engineer, maybe not but we shall see.

I will update post if anything changes at all.

Please tell me this though, lets say the engineer doesn't need into house and finds fault in street cabinet or the exchange, will he defo call or text to say what was going on ?? 

Kind regards

0 Likes

Message 8 of 42

Hi Hammertime,

I've booked the earliest appointment available - November 30 2021, PM (13:00-18:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 42

🤫

Message 10 of 42

so do I, but not to spend in here talking about a faulty telephone line 🤣

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 42

I have all the time in the world!  😎

Message 12 of 42

stop talking to me then, lol 😂

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 42

OK, but they are as I said dealing with others. They have a workflow based broadly on oldest post first, so you are not doing yourself any favours by constantly adding to the thread. 

Message 14 of 42

Yes I know that but would be nice of them (either one of the two of them) to take two seconds to reply back and say "ok that's sorted and this and that will now happen", I have spent hours sitting here waiting and inputting stuff they asked for and they can't even take 1 minute to say ok that's all sorted and now this and that will happen, nice to be nice after all isn't it.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 42

@Hammertime The community has never offered real time support, there are many other customers for the team to deal with. Please be patient and they will get back to you as soon as they can, repeat posting on your part is not going to help. 

0 Likes

Hammertime
Wise Owl
Message 16 of 42

eh, hello, is there anyone there, anyone doing anything ? Would be nice to know what is going on please thanks.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 42

Ok @Chris-TalkTalk , your instructions have been carried out now, so what next ? 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 42

Hi Hammertime,

I've sent you a PM

Thanks

Chris

Hammertime
Wise Owl
Message 19 of 42

I cant reply to your email as its none reply type email, I have created the telephone passcode, I have gave you two digits of that passcode in a return private message in the forum here and also told you in the private message a PM visit for engineer and also private messaged you for the third time now saying I read the part about potentional charges, and yes I accept that I understand that part too but I have't touched anything with the cabling or sockets inside or outside the house but all the same i still accept and understand the possibility that there could be a charge if it was me but thats impossible as i live here alone and have no kids or visitors or anything, so the setup is just exactly the same as the way it was when talktalk or bt openreach set it up in the first place, remember these houses are recently new built 12 years old, so still considered new build, its a new street and all new cabling and street cabinets and everything, thats why my speeds are always top of the line and everything, but I certainly have not touched nothing with no socket in the house and certainly not with anything outside but yes I understand and accept those rules that I must comply to that I have already said in the private message i sent you back, so now can you please confirm what is next @Debbie-TalkTalk  ? 

Kind regards

0 Likes

Hammertime
Wise Owl
Message 20 of 42

@Debbie-TalkTalk , in the email from talktalk where it says "Your contact password is ." 

That's all it says is Your contact password is ., it doesn't say any password or anything, this is stupid, what now ?

0 Likes