Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Billing for unwanted Broadband

10 REPLIES 10
timsan55
First Timer

Hi, new on here and would be glad of some help. My elderly mother is with talktalk for a landline phone only.  She has no computer, and we explained that she did not want broadband or any other online services.  On her bill I see that she is being charged for Fast Broadband  at £27.00 less £5.50 discount making a total of £21.50.     She is also being charged £10 for Unlimited UK Calls Boost, less £5.00  so that's £5 net for that.  I haven't complained about it because it occurred to me that " Fast Broadband" may be a generic term, and is really the phone package itself.    Can someone clarify this for me, I would appreciate it. Thanks !  T.

Community Team

Hi timsan55

Fast Broadband is the name of the package, Broadband is actually provided as we only supply bundled packages (line rental,Phone and Broadband).  There is no way to separate  them. 

Hope that makes sense. 

martswain
Philosopher

As Arne says, TT do not do landline only.

As for the discounts, do keep an eye on the end date for these, they do not continue forever.

This date can be found in the online account for the service.

Martin
timsan55
First Timer

Then you have provided this package after it was made very clear from the outset to talk talk that this is for a 90 year old lady living in sheltered accommodation and having it also made clear to you that there was no way that broadband was required / wanted or needed.

She has no computer, no mobile phone, all she wanted was a landline.

This could not have been spelt out more, and you have gone ahead and provided the un-needed product anyway.  Please advise.  Thank you. 

Community Team

Who ordered the service, and how? (ie online,over the phone)

A full sales compliance script will have been given, outlining exactly what was ordered also a welcome pack would have been sent again fully outlining what was sold. 

timsan55
First Timer

My 90 year old mother ordered the service over the phone from her sheltered flat, and she made it very clear that she did not want online / broadband. 

So at that point, the answer from talk talk  should have been that you were not able to provide  a phone service without broadband as part of the package.

martswain
Philosopher

Didn't the Welcome Pack and delivery of a router ring any alarm bells ?

Martin
timsan55
First Timer

Sarcasm is not appreciated.   As far as I know, no router has been delivered.  I do not know about the welcome pack but I will ask my mother and find out.

Community Team

@timsan55 If you can add your Mothers landline number to the private notes section of your community profile,  I can see what I can find about the sale. 

timsan55
First Timer

OK figured that out, it is in the personal information section of my file and it is the upper one of the  two phone numbers, ends in 03 

Community Team

@timsan55

So what I've found is that you Mum has actually had Broadband since July 2015 when she was on an old package called Plus TV,(Only line rental and calls package is chargeable on that package and a Router was sent) Then on 8-May-2017,  your mum called us, as her discounts offered in 2015 had expired pushing the price over £30 per month for Line rental and Calls.

The agent offered our new package of Fast Broadband as the package she was previously on, was no longer available so a discounted price was offered at £23.75 per month for 18 months. according to the notes there was a discussion as you mum did advise Broadband was not required, when The agent advised that broadband comes with all our packages, This package is accepted.  The same conversation appears to have happened in December 2018.  

On all the renewals, including the latest renewal,  Welcome letters where issued outlining the full package, and full Sales Compliance script has been read out. 

Hope that clarifies this.