cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

CallSafe Reviews Please - Is it fit for purpose?!

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi,

What is the general consensus with the CallSafe feature, does it work as it should, is it fit for purpose?!

I am getting fed up with nuisance calls now so I am very tempted to turn it on, but thought I would ask on here first whether it is worth the trouble?! With all due respect we all know what TT is like, so it's worth me asking!!

From memory when CallSafe first came out, I held fire on activating it to see if there was teething troubles, and sure enough when I next looked about 3 months later, I think there was lots of complaints so I forgot about the idea of having it!

What are people's opinions of it now, does it work?!

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @lcrjames 

My opinion as a user of CallSafe from November 2017 is that I am pleased that it does exactly what it claims. No unwanted nuisance or scam calls.

It is still in need of improving with downloadable calls lists and uploadable calls lists and a list of recent calls incoming.

Give it a try.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@Gondola Thanks for your response which has made me wonder, what if someone "new" calls and they say who they are but I do not pick up the phone because I am away, will I know they called? Currently without call safe feature turned on they would be able to leave a message on my answering machine, or if they didn't leave a message I would see a flashing light indicating a missed call and it would also display the number. (I assume this will still happen because my phone will ring, but they just wont be able to leave a message on the answering machine?)

Also, I assume if someone on the 'accepted/safe list' calls whilst I was away, they would be able to leave a message as normal on my answering machine?

Highlighted
Community Star

Separate answering machines are not generally compatible, you need to use TalkTalk voicemail. Have you had a look at the help article?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @lcrjames 

How to use CallSafe 

Problems using CallSafe 

Calls will go to TalkTalk voicemail.  It largely depends on what the caller says when prompted as to whether you'll recognise who they are if you don't recognise the number.

Calls that come through automatically will either be picked up by TalkTalk Voicemail or your answering machine if that picks up first.

The current issue with TalkTalk voicemail is for people away from home for long periods.  It only has capacity for 10 messages.  So that needs improving as a stand-alone product anyway. 

For people away from home for long periods you may think of switching off CallSafe to use your own answering machine because you can pick up remotely.  But the CallSafe call lists are not saved currently.  The workaround is to add your mobile to the Allowed list and make sure when you call your home from your mobile your own answering machine picks up before TalkTalk voicemail does.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Star

@Gondola There is also Voicemail Plus available for no extra charge which gives you the option to record your own greeting and allows up to 30 messages, or is that not compatible with CallSafe?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@fergusonI did look at the help article, I couldn't see a list of compatible answering machines! I have a Gigaset A455A. I ended up turning off voicemail a couple of years ago because it clashed with the answering machine even though I set up my answering machine to kick in before voicemail; sometimes messages would be left on the voicemail and thus missed, and sometimes messages were left on the answering machine as per how it was set up. In the end the easiest thing for me was to turn off voicemail!

@GondolaIs voicemail automatically turned on when CallSafe is activated then? If it is, can it be turned off?

I did think of the idea of turning CallSafe off when I go away, but you have pointed out I will lose my call lists!! This will be very inconvenient!

What do you mean by; "The workaround is to add your mobile to the Allowed list and make sure when you call your home from your mobile your own answering machine picks up before TalkTalk voicemail does." Surely this is just a test to see if CallSafe is working? Rather than a workaround for the problem of losing all the numbers in the call lists?!

Fingers crossed you will confirm I can turn voicemail off with CallSafe, and that CallSafe will work with my Gigaset answer machine phone, otherwise it looks like CallSafe is not fit for purpose IMHO.

Highlighted
Community Star

Sorry, you won't find a list because there isn't one. I said that answer machines weren't generally compatible, but that Voicemail was. And you should never use an answering machine in conjunction with Voicemail, it is either one, or the other. Are we at cross purposes somehow? 

Highlighted
Chat Champion
The help article also said some answering machines were compatible, it would be helpful to know which ones.
I haven't had voicemail activated for at least 2 years now, so no we are not a cross purposes.
Highlighted
Community Star

I can't see that, perhaps you are misinterpreting this:

Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 18.51.25.png

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Nope, I understand the quote perfectly fine thank you. TT say "there are some handset answering machines... that CallSafe is not compatible with." This implies some handset answering machines are indeed compatible! It does not say all handset answering machines are not compatible.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@GondolaI look forward to your reply please to my questions in my post #7.

Many thanks.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Any more reviews on CallSafe people?
Philosopher

@lcrjames we have call safe type thing in the phones so we have a phone with the answer machine in aswell 

we got this but seems they stopped doing them link from our order in 2015 paid for 2 at £48.00

here

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Chat Champion

@hosay299thanks for that, looks interesting!

I am not surprised by the lack of response from people expressing their opinions on CallSafe, just looking at the message board today and there are a few threads regarding complaints on CallSafe! 😳🙈

Highlighted
Philosopher

@lcrjames ok. U can try searching the site for help as can find things that have been asked before type thing as this site is way better than the help pages

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Chat Champion

@hosay299Yeah I did a search before making this thread, unfortunately I did not find anything positive. This is why I made this thread to ask the question rather than just turning on CallSafe for myself and finding out the hard way. Looks like I sadly made the right choice!

That said hopefully TT will improve the service by making sure you do not lose your saved/blocked number lists etc every time you turn CallSafe on or off (as one might do when you go away so you can use your answering machine) and allow you to actually view the recent calls tab etc etc. We live in hope!

Highlighted
Community Star

I don't use CallSafe myself out of choice so cannot comment from direct experience. But it is in the nature of forums like this that people come to complain, not to praise, so you are bound to get a slanted picture.

In your position I would have thought a temporary trial of CallsSafe in conjunction with Voicemail Plus (if it works, I confess I am not sure) may give you much of what you require. And if you find it is not to your liking then you can simply disable it again.

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

I had been looking at Callsafe as I am fed up like most with spam calls. However on fully investigating it I feel it is about as much use as a chocolate teapot! Not being able to save call lists or set up call lists before activation is an issue, also not being compatible with home answering machines is also an issue. Now with a 2p per call charge from August for standard voicemail we are being penalised for having spam calls and needing Callsafe.

All of these issues I believe make Callsafe a rip-off and effectively useless. All telcos are really not doing enough to stop them as it is easier to provide and charge for a product which they advertise as prevention but simply monetises spam calls for their benefit.

Stuart

Stuart