Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display Stopped on 23rd Oct 2021

Alwaysatsea
Popular Poster
Message 25 of 25

My caller display stopped working on Saturday 23/10/21.

I have turned it off and on again, done this for 48 hours and back in again, chamged to a new caller ID phone, unplugged the micro filter and put the phone in the master socket alone. No resolution. 
ive raised a ticket with the chat team who have now passed it to engineering team but I have heard nothing for a week. I have spent 3 hours in chat now and I think it’s time that 1. You check with your back end supplier that it is turned on for me. 2. Check the exchange hardware is working. 3. Check the FTTC end and eventually my line physically at my home.

I suspect no.1 will cure this quickly but please mow

escalate this issue as I have done everything at my end and my elderly partner won’t answer the phone now with so many spam calls. The phone just says Incoming Call. It worked once after turning back on then has failed since .Please contact me on registered email in the first instance or registered mobile on how you will proceed to resolve this. 
All my details are correct in the profile. 

24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi Alwaysatsea,

I'm sorry, I don't know what the root cause was but glad to hear that it's now resolved, apologies for any inconvenience. Please just let us know if you experience any further problems

Chris

0 Likes

Alwaysatsea
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 25

It now works, so far so good.  Thank you for persevering with this and Talk Talk. After 2 months and 2 1/2 weeks a failure at some part of the exchange was at fault? 
I would be grateful, and I’m sure the community also, to know the root cause of this failure

from the talk talk engineering department or customer services Kf you don’t mind keeping the ticket open for a little longer. 

I’ll let you know if it disappears again. Kind regards. 

Message 3 of 25

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Message 4 of 25

Hello,

This has now been requested for Monday. It is usually done in the morning, however we can't guarantee this. This work will be completed externally at the exchange. The voice service can be down for up to 4hrs but the broadband connection should be ok. I'll check back in with you on Monday afternoon to see how you're getting on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Morning,

Ok thanks. I will post back here to confirm once this has been arranged. Unfortunately as far as I am aware we can't specify a specific time, however I've asked the question so will confirm this too once they come back to me.

Thanks

0 Likes

Alwaysatsea
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 25

Yes please book it for Monday if possible and let me know what time range you can estimate, thank you very much (all of you on this thread) for your help. 

Message 7 of 25

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear that the card reset hasn't resolved the Caller Display issue for you. The next step will be to arrange a lift and shift at the exchange so there would be a period of no service while this work is completed. We need to give them 3 working days to process this request. Would Monday or Tuesday next week be ok for you? The service can be down for up to 4hrs while this happens?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 8 of 25

@Alwaysatsea, no it was message #11, which I'll repost here, in case the numbering order shows differently for you (I think settings can affect oldest / most recent first etc). 

20220103_214130.jpg

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Alwaysatsea
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 25

Hi, thanks Gliwmaeden2 is that message 11 on 16-12-21? Please see my reply that it wasn’t working on on 19-12-21.

I gratefully look forward to a solution from the subject matter experts as soon as practically possible after the Christmas break. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Done, thanks, posted under 'Caller Display'.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 25

@Alwaysatsea, did you miss message #11?

Staff would have been expecting feedback c 21st December, and were here regularly till Christmas Eve', so there was a chance that something could have been done if they had heard back then.

Staff are unlikely to pick this up before Tuesday now.

They will then need a notice period as advised, due to the fact that it may require some down time of your service. 

I'll re-escalate this thread to ensure that it is in the queue again for their attention. 

0 Likes

Alwaysatsea
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 25

Ticket: REP-10587836 - Hello Folks. Any update on the caller display returning after being dead since 23rd October 2021 please.

as I understand it, Caller ID is an MF tone containing  data that transmits to the Caller ID phone from the exchange prior to the set ringing.

if this is failing as part of the rollout of fiber and sunsetting of analogue then please tell us that it will disappear during the transition from copper to optical, which I suspect to be

the case. If not and it’s just a fault and costs too much in disruption to 50 other users because changing a board in the Fiber To The Cabinet system then please let us know. Otherwise please fix this fault or tell us that the fault can’t be economically fixed until we get VOIP phones and fiber to the premises. I really can understand why this is taking so long and so many of us are waiting. My 80 year old mother gets 30 calls a day from non TPS registered calls and she just can’t answer the phone any longer and is paying for this service. Thank you. 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 13 of 25

@Ned --, this won't get resolved by posting on another customer's thread. 

Please go back to the message board and click on start a topic to open your own. 

Staff will respond after the holiday. 

0 Likes

Ned --
Team Player
Message 14 of 25

My own caller display stopped working in mid-June 2021, and despite multiple elimination tests and overnight resets, and two new phones, I still have no display.

Message 15 of 25

Hello,

Our team recommend retesting after 24hrs as the card reset will take place at some point out of hours overnight. If the Caller Display service is still not working following this, then the next step will be for our team to arrange a lift and shift at the exchange. If this is the case then we will then need to provide some availability for this to be completed at least 3 days in advance as their would be a period of down time of service whilst the engineer completes this work.

Thanks

Alwaysatsea
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 25

Ok. Thank you. Just so I can understand. The card reset will happen and I’m giving it 24 hours to happen and not 24 hours for the reset to take effect?

I’m asking because it would be good for the community to understand the process so we have some chance of helping you help us as this knowledge seems to be proprietary and varies with support agent. The workflow is then a list of logical steps to encompass all that could be wrong and the community could possibly document this and it could have an all encompassing standard operating procedure and tell us where you are in the process to its 100% resolution. 
i.e. if there are 10 steps from ticket to termination of issue then we might know how far we are to a solution instead of trying different things and hoping for the best?

As an engineer I know that one of you guys knows exactly what the steps are and some need to get contact which him/her and the worry is that takes human time and communication which is a recipe for delay at the best of times.

I’ll wait 24 and get back to you for the next  steps that you think necessary of not fixed. Thank you. 

Message 17 of 25

Hello,

I've been advised that a card reset has been requested and they have asked if you can retest again 24hrs from now and confirm if there is any change please.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've passed this over to a member of the team now and I suspect that the next step will be to complete an out of hours card reset, however I will confirm as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

0 Likes

Alwaysatsea
Popular Poster
Message 19 of 25

Hello Arne. Still not working. Please can you escalate this to the next stage. Some manual investigation to see that this is not working by an engineer that can fix it would be good.

it very frustrating that this is more than 2 months old now. A systematic approach and some ownership of this problem is now required.

I cannot understand how slow this is to investigate and how often caller display is called out as a problem and no one has identified a list of root causes as a method to enable your staff to trace and fix permanently or at least quickly if it is not a design issue. Please fix this ASAP. 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

Hi Alwaysatsea

We have made a change at our network side. 

Can you retest in the next 24 hours

Thank you

0 Likes