Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls on home phone

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 21 of 21

I am having a similar problem with my home phone - I can make calls but when someone calls my landline it gives them an 'invalid number' or similar message. This happens most of the time but sometimes the calls come through. I have 'chatted' with a TalkTalk agent twice in the past week and they have not been able to resolve this. I have carried out all of the tests, etc. as instructed (even to the point of plugging my home phone directly into the 'test socket', as instructed). Nothing has fixed the problem so far. What do I do next? 

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi

Glad to hear this, thanks for letting me know.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 21

Chris and Michelle - this problem appears to have been fixed now.  I've tested our home phone a number of times and it works every time now.  Thanks for getting the right people to look into this and fix it.  I have  been contacted several times by the network team but have not been able to take their calls for one reason or another but I am happy to confirm that the problem has been resolved now. Thanks to you both and to the network team for getting it done.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

OK thanks I'll pass it back to our network team

Chris

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 21

So Chris - here are the results of the latest tests, conducted today:

Call by landline 11:06, 11:07 did not connect.

A Tesco mobile 11:07 and 11:08 - message 'call ended', did not connect

A BT mobile 13:10 connected - call came through

a 3 mobile at 13:18 connected - call came through

A Vodafone mobile at 13:28 - message 'number invalid' (also tried using +44 at start of number - message 'code and number combination is invalid')

So some networks appear to work (BT mobile, 3) and some don't (o2/Tesco, Vodafone).

Is that enough to go on with?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Thanks for the information. Would it be possible to carry out some further tests from the 3 network device (and any other network if possible) so that we can make sure it's not just related to calls from the O2 network

Chris

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 21

OK - got someone on 3 (three) network (*removed for security*) to phone at 17:36 and 17:43. The call worked both times. Previously that caller failed but I can't say exactly when. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi Apaulo55,

Our network team have have asked if you can test calling from a device on another network as Tesco use the O2 network too

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21
0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 21

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi Apaulo55,

I've raised this to our network team for investigation, I'll let you know when I receive an update

Chris

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 21

I have completed these instructions (it's a minor miracle that I found an alternative handset to test with).  I connected the other handset at the test socket, then made a number of test calls from my mobile to the landline.  I also got other people to make calls to test the widest possible cases. Here are the results (all calls made today - September 2nd 2021):

Called from mobile REMOVED (Tesco Mobile) @ 12:55 - gave 'invalid number'

Called from mobile REMOVED (Tesco Mobile) @ 13:01 - gave 'call ended' (call did not go through

Called from mobile REMOVED (Tesco Mobile) @ 13:01 - call worked (received at landline handset)

Called from mobile REMOVED (Tesco Mobile) @ 13:02 - call worked (received at landline handset)

Called from mobile REMOVED (O2) @ 13:07 - gave 'number not recognized'

Called from mobile REMOVED (Tesco Mobile) @ 13:08 - gave 'call ended' (call did not go through)

Called from mobile REMOVED (Tesco Mobile) @@ 13:08 - call worked (received at landline handset

Called from mobile REMOVED (Tesco Mobile) @ 13:10 - gave 'invalid number'

I hope this helps.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. I've run a few different tests on the line which are all clear. Would it be possible to connect a different handset at the test socket then make 5 test calls from your mobile to the landline and make a note of the date and time and how many calls get through please. We can then ask our Network Team to take a look if the inbound calls are still failing with a different handset.

Thanks

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 21

The message is usually 'invalid number', but sometimes the message is 'number not recognized'.  As far as I know, those are the only varieties of the message but the callers are not always specific about which message they get.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi Apaulo55,

Could you be a bit more precise about the invalid number message? Is it always that same message as far as you know?

Chris

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 21

Exactly. I get a call from a particular mobile number, then minutes later the same mobile number tries to call again but the call fails.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

OK thanks. When the problem occurs does it appear to be totally random, can the same caller calling from the same number get through one time but not another?

Chris

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 17 of 21

When I dial 17070 my correct number is read back to me. This problem occurs when various people phone me on various networks, including international and local, mobile and landlines.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi Apaulo55,

if you call 17070 is your landline number read back to you?

Chris

0 Likes

Apaulo55
Popular Poster
Message 19 of 21

Profile updated now.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 21

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• TalkTalk Telephone number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes