Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial tone gone again on landline

MikeDT
Philosopher
Message 21 of 21

Hi OCE,

Just returned from 2 weeks away and I'm afraid my dial tone has gone again. Last reported a problem in this thread:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/No-dial-tone-or-incoming-calls/m-p/2212342#M118942

That time the issue resolved itself but now looks as though it has resurfaced.

Please test and if necessary call out Opereach.

Thanks.

Mike
I am not a TalkTalk employee, just a customer. If my post has helped you, please "Like" it.
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21
0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Final update.

The BT Openreach engineer rang me on the landline at 08:10 on Tuesday. By The Law of Sod, it was working perfectly! However, we agreed that it was more than likely to drop again during the day. We exchanged mobile numbers and sure enough the line had lost its dial tone by 11 am.

The engineer, Stephen, is to be congratulated for his persistence. He had spent several hours the previous Tuesday trying everything he could think of to do. This time, he concluded that the underlying issue was "with the fibre port in the local green cabinet". He replaced this.

Now the line has been back in action for a full 24 hours and I believe (hope!) it is permanently fixed.

I'll start a new thread for any future problem.....

Mike
I am not a TalkTalk employee, just a customer. If my post has helped you, please "Like" it.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 21
0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

I've monitored the line over the weekend. Basically it loses dial tone during the day but it comes back mid evening until morning. I suspect the issue is temperature related!

I spoke to BT Openreach on the number they left for me. They were very helpful and agreed, following a line test at 11 am today that there was a clear "distance fault". They are scheduling another engineer visit asap, which will be tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. 

Mike
0 Likes

Message 5 of 21
0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Update.

The line is OK again this morning (Thursday) but had dropped out at least once yesterday evening. Clearly we won't contact the engineer on the number he gave us unless the line is definitely down and he can check it is so.

Meanwhile, I'd like to keep a watching brief until next Monday at the earliest, so if the now-more-intermittent fault re-occurs then the ticket is still open. We have had extremely hot weather this week but it is supposed to be cooling off for the next few days and maybe that will help the connection settle.

Mike
0 Likes

Message 7 of 21
0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Update.

The engineer arrived at 10:15 and was with us most of the day. A couple of times he thought he had fixed things, only to discover continuing problems: one of his test calls was cut off in the middle. By 4:30 pm he really seemd to have solved the issue (largely by replacing everything he could) and left. Calls worked for us enough that we could clear our backlog of people we needed to contact.

But guess what?  By 7 pm the dial tone has gone again!!

The engineer left us with a private contact number and reference so we can get back in touch ourselves tomorrow. Meanwhile, please do not close the ticket your end until I confirm we really are up and rumming permanently.

Mike
0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi @MikeDT

A openreach engineer was dispatched this morning , hopefully the problem will be fixed today. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21
0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi Arne,

The fault is still not fixed. We had a tone briefly on Saturday evening but nothing since. Incoming calls still ring but cannot be connected as the ring-in tone persists even after we've picked up.

No dial tone on test socket.

Mike
0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hi MikeDT

We have requested an engineer to go out to the exchange in the next 48 hours. 

We can check the fault ticket on Monday for an update

Regards

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Thanks. No doubt the cussedness of the line will mean it will now spring back into action before the engineers can source the fault. I'll repost with any updates over the weekend.

Mike
0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Ok a line test has picked up a fault now. 

Have sent it to our network team. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

No tone again this morning, even on test socket.

I called our landline from my mobile: the house phone rang but when I picked it up I could only hear a continuing ring-in tone. The mobile was also still getting the ring-in tone.

Ended the call without ever getting a connection. Now the landline is back without its dial tone.

Weird but I hope this helps diagnose the problem.

Mike
0 Likes

Message 16 of 21
0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

OK, thanks. If your extra tests come up with nothing, I'm happy to wait until the line goes down completely. The only problem with doing so is that, up to now, we have always retained broadband signal, which is much more important to us than the telephone connection!

Mike
0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi MikeDT

Its difficult as there is obviously an intermittent issue on the line, the danger is that an engineer goes out on a day when there is no problem causing unwanted charges. 

Ill see if there are any other tests that we can run.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Hi Arne,

Yes, once you do line tests we seem to spring back into action. I would say that there is now noise on the line but it is working.

Given this has happened a few times now (we had an engineer called out by one of my neighbours when both our lines were down about a month ago), I suspect that there is something flaky in the wiring near the house.

Is there anything that can be done to make the system more robust, or shall I have to wait until it breaks completely again and inform you once more?

Regards, 

Mike
0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 21

Hi MikeDT

As per the last thread, Line tests are passing. 

Connect direct to the test socket, no filter, and verify if there is still no dialtone. 

0 Likes