Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Router Sagemcom FAST 5364 have remote access?

RichardDL
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 7

I've read lots of times that for best security we should switch off remote access to our routers.  I've recently received from TalkTalk a new Sagemcom FAST 5364-X.TY version SG4K10002816t.

I can't find anywhere to switch off remote access, and this topic says it doesn't have remote access.

On the other hand this topic says TalkTalk can switch on/off auto channel selection, so there is remote access.

Can anyone explain this apparent contradiction?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 7

Hello,

For the best security and to ensure that your router remains up to date with the latest firmware/security patches, we would always recommend that this remains enabled as this allows us to securely remote diagnose and apply updates as needed in the background without your involvement. On some of our older routers we did allow this to disabled, however we never encouraged or recommended this and on our latest router this is not an option.

Thanks

0 Likes

RichardDL
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 7

@Birchcroft @ferguson   Thank you for your replies.  It looks like the idea of remote access to the modem has split into two.  The old remote access to the config web-page isn't there, good.  The TR-069 access I agree is very unlikely to be part of a security issue. 

As I understand it, "WiFi optimisation" means auto-chosing the channel and must change config in the Router.  I've seen that you can ask TalkTalk to turn that off, and I will.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 7

WiFi optimisation operates at a network level. It has nothing to do with remote access to your router, which you can disable if you wish. Although it will not enhance security in any way, your router remains as vulnerable as anything else connected to the internet.

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 4 of 7

It depends on what one means by remote access.  TalkTalk are unable to initiate access to the router as the TR-069 protocol requires the router to initiate the connection.  So if the connection is not initiated they can't access the router, but once initiated they have access, in accordance with the protocol, until the link is closed.

In the post you are talking about the question related to being able to log in to the router via Port 8080.  Basically to log in remotely as 'admin' like you can do from the LAN so in that case the answer will be correct. 

I don't believe it is possible to disable TR-069 on TalkTalk routers but I use a 3rd party router so I can't be sure and can't check.  I suggest you log in as 'admin' and have a look around the menu options to see if one exists to disable   TR-069.

Finally, assuming nobody has spoofed TalkTalk's TR-069 management server, or hacked your router and changed the server address, then the connection should be reasonably safe.

0 Likes

RichardDL
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 7

So that first topic stating there's no remote access is incorrect?  How can I turn off this TR069?

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 6 of 7

Hi @RichardDL TalkTalk will be able to use a protocol call TR-069 to gain password protected access for managing and updating the router.  All modern routers support this protocol although most allow it to be disabled on the router.

0 Likes