Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer

terryo68
Team Player
Message 48 of 48

Last Saturday (23/102021) a BT engineer was working outside our house fixing our neighbours phone line. In the process he disconnected our phone and internet. I contacted Talktalk who said an engineer would come out within 2-3 working days. This has not happened. So I spent an hour on the phone to talktalk yesterday mainly going round in circles but was eventually promised another engineer in a vague 2/3 days time. 
I have no faith that this will actually happen. How can I check that this is actually being looked into and how long should I expect to wait for an engineer? Given that I was disconnected (accidentally) by an engineer in the first place, shouldn’t this be prioritised?

0 Likes
47 REPLIES 47

Message 1 of 48

Hi terryo68

I'm really sorry about this. When we raised the fault Openreach assigned this to the open outage they were working to resolve.

We did advise in regards to the engineer working outside the house but they advised it would be linked to the fault.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

terryo68
Team Player
Message 2 of 48

Thankfully an engineer turned up yesterday. The fault was the very same Joint AreaCable (Underground) that I mentioned in my first communication with Talktalk over 5 weeks ago!

The engineer was very surprised that I had to wait this long to get it looked at!!!

Whilst I fully appreciate the help and advise given to me on this forum, I have to admit that this is the worst example of customer service that I have ever received, especially in terms of communication.
Whether this was down to Talktalk , BT Openreach or a combination of both I shall probably never know!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 48

Hi terryo68

Sorry for the delay.

Openreach closed the fault yesterday evening -  Fault In Joint AreaCable (Underground)

Are you still experiencing this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 48

So sorry to see that this still hasn't been fixed.  😕

Grit your teeth and console yourself with the thought that the compensation due will cover the cost of your service for many months to come. 

terryo68
Team Player
Message 5 of 48

Also if there is a major outage why have all of my neighbours got internet and phone? 
Also this screenshot is from your own website…..

8C988527-BC4E-4E67-A254-E06FFF41B4A6.png

0 Likes

terryo68
Team Player
Message 6 of 48

No sign of anyone yet…….

0 Likes

Message 7 of 48

Hi terryo68

This is the latest update from Openreach today 

There will be a multi skilled engineer who will work externally first, if he requires any internal work he will directly contact customer to gain access. This fault is still also linked to a major outage.

0 Likes

terryo68
Team Player
Message 8 of 48

After 5 weeks without phone or internet, today is the day it gets fixed. Can’t wait 👍

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 48

When automatic compensation eventually comes in, @terryo68, it will be paid into your My Account, not your bank account. 

You can then choose to use it to pay future bills till it's used up, or move some or all of it to your bank account  - the simplest, and most efficient way to do that is via the Direct Debit banking details in My Account. 

Even though it takes quite a while (& there are ongoing delays) for compensation to materialise, you are still expected to pay bills.

Simply not paying can result in late payment fees etc and you don't want to get into a spiral of dispute and debt.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 10 of 48

@terryo68 TT will not refund your monthly payments for the time without service.

You will get the automatic compensation amount for all days without service once the fault is fixed and the actual number of days is known.

The billing system does not know you have a problem so cancelling your DD will likely result in emails requesting immediate payment and possibly fees further down the line.

terryo68
Team Player
Message 11 of 48

Talktalk are still charging me and due to take my monthly direct debit despite having no phone or internet for over 4 weeks! Should I cancel my direct debit or can you refund for this period? I assume that this is separate from the compensation of £8 per day

0 Likes

Message 12 of 48

Hi

Openreach will only issue the expected date of resolution. We would not be able to chase them until the date arrives if they exceed their issued date.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

terryo68
Team Player
Message 13 of 48

Hi, As it’s now getting closer to the expected Resolution date of 26/11/2021, I was wondering if you could contact BT and ask them what they have done so far to investigate the problem and what they will actually be doing in the next week to work towards this date. Just to remind you that it has been nearly 4 weeks since one of their engineers disconnected me. 
So far I have not seen any engineers anywhere my property investigating anything!,

I would also like to ask at what point they consider my disconnection long enough to feel the need to prioritise it?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 48

Hi terryo68

Apologies, there are still no additional updates and we still have the date showing for 26/11/21.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 48

Hi, I was wondering if you have any updates. 
My temporary 4G WiFi is helping but it’s not great. 
I haven’t yet seen anyone look at the ground box outside my house or at any of the nearby boxes. 
all of my neighbours phones and WiFi are working fine, so it’s still just me!!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 48

Ah, nice one. At least you have internet while waiting for Openreach to sort out your TalkTalk service. 🙂

0 Likes

terryo68
Team Player
Message 17 of 48

I have taken your advice Ferguson. I have gone with Vodafone who have a 4G WiFi router on a rolling monthly contract. It should be coming today!!

Many thanks for your suggestion 😀👍

terryo68
Team Player
Message 18 of 48

Thanks for the suggestion Ferguson, I will look into that. I think I have decent 3 coverage in my area so it might be the best solution 👍

martswain
Philosopher
Message 19 of 48

TT have never supplied any temporary solutions for loss of broadband, the call divert to your mobile is all you can expect.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 20 of 48

Well, that is what the compensation is intended to cover. It may not do everything you normally need, but 3 for example have a 4G mobile hotspot device available at £29 upfront on a one month contract at £27. Plenty left over in the compensation fund after that!  🙂