Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound and Outbound calls dropping router sync

Pete_G
Team Player
Message 21 of 21

Hi,

I've had intermittent sync issues for a couple of months now (the connection was rock solid for a couple of years @80/20 - but now intermittently syncs at anything between 40-60/15-20)

I've noticed router stats wise the maximum rate is usually just slightly less the actual rate when to issue manifests itself, but the maximum rate is higher than the actual rate when its stable (which I guess makes sense from a stability perspective!)

After doing some testing if I try outbound calls, sync fails and the call quality has become very crackly and inbound calls cause sync fails in exactly the same way. But, sync fails intermittently anyway without either.

I've tried web chat many times, but I seem to just go around in circles with the agent asking the same scripted questions then eventually disconnecting.

Is there any one who can help with this please?

Thanks,

Pete

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi,

It's possible that DLM will change the profile back, however it may just take a little time as DLM will be ensuring that the connection is very stable and the errors are low before making any changes. Please let us know how the connection compares over the next week.

Thanks 🙂

Message 2 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Gaming wise, there's just slightly more lag, just something I noticed once I got time to test.

I guess there may be more interleave imposed via the DLM after an issue like this maybe, that might settle down after the training period? It's great to have any connection back tbh 😀 ..but it would be a bonus to have the super low pings back too 👌

Thank again for all your help,

Pete

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I've re-checked the connection stats and they look very consistent. Is the increased latency affecting the performance of the connection? It's possible that DLM will continue to make some further changes to the profile if the connection continues to remain stable.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I test via a wired connection straight to the router (just to remove the randomness of wifi and be a bit more consistent!)

Cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Hello,

I'm glad to hear that the stability has improved. Can I just confirm, was this last speed test wired or wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

The connection has been stable since the router swap thanks!

The only slight difference is the connection is slightly more latent. Previously Speedtest pings were always around 7ms, now they sit around 20-25ms. I'm not sure why, maybe a line profile change happened after the openreach work last week to make it more tolerant? 

Cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Morning,

How has the connection been over the last 48hrs?

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hello,

Thanks for confirming 🙂 I will check back in with on Monday to see how you're getting on 🙂

Thanks

Message 9 of 21

Morning @Michelle-TalkTalk 

The engineer replaced the filtered faceplate which cleared the voice fault (there's no crackle and pops now), but it looked like there was a further fault sync side. With his equipment the line sync'd perfectly, but with my router the sync was intermittent and both in speed and in error seconds. He ordered me a new router to see if that was the issue (with the line testing ok with his) which I think is arriving today.

So fingers crossed that sorts it 🤞

The engineer was excellent, so thanks for sorting and your quick response, much appreciated 😀

cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Morning,

I've checked and we've received an update to advise that the fault has been cleared. I've re-run the line test now which is clear. How is your connection at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi,

No problem 🙂 We'll check back in with you on Friday 🙂

Thanks

Message 12 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Brill, thanks for that. I’ll await an update from them and I’ll let you know if I need anything else.

Thanks again for your help.

cheers 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hello,

Ok thank you for confirming. As the line test is still detecting a potential external line fault I have raised this straight over to Openreach to complete an external line investigation. If you don't hear anymore in the next 48hrs then please let us know and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I’ve just tested outbound and inbound call and there is slight background noise but nothing like the obvious loud crackle and pops there were yesterday before we moved to the master socket config.

The router also re synced again over night to a slightly slower speed again (but maximum downstream seems to have remained high, but actual downstream low - upstream is syncing much lower than in the last too)

Let me know if you need me to test anything else and thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for confirming this. The line test has now detected a different fault. Is there any noise on the voice service or is this currently ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I've removed the filtered faceplate to access the master socket and added the original external filter the reconnect both phone and router.

I have tested inbound and outbound calls (with answer and without) and sync remains in place.

Also, the router is now displaying a maximum downstream sync rate of 91 (but its syncing at 60) which might just be a result of caution following the number of resysncs and is something you can reset your end?

It may be just a coincidence too because the problem has been intermittent! 

let me know if you would like me to test anything else.

Cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk  - thanks again

so, just to confirm - you are trying to eliminate the pre-filtered face plate by just using the master socket with my original external filter (that is currently not used)?

Cheers,

Pete

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, phone and router at the test socket to try this test again please? Do you also have a different handset that you could test with please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Pete_G
Team Player
Message 19 of 21

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk  - thanks for the quick response.

The master is Openreach 5C (MK4) - the one with the dual faceplate, so I guess there's probably a test socket behind there - if I were to lift that filtered front off.

Iv'e just tested;

inbound with phone connected (and answered it) - sync dropped

inbound with phone connected (didn't answer it) - sync remained

inbound with phone disconnected (couldn't answer it obviously 🙂 ) - sync remained

...but also just to note, when sync is obtained it is currently a lot lower than normal and will be lost intermittently without inbound or outbound calls. It's just that answering a call or making a call with definitely cause a loss of sync - if that makes sense?

Thanks,

Pete

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 20 of 21

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a possible issue towards the property. Does your main socket have a test socket? Does the inbound call issue also happen if you disconnect the phone from the line and then try calling the line again?

Thanks

0 Likes