Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming landline problems

Graham Hunt
First Timer
Message 20 of 20

Talktalk ref: CMP-191731

I have a problem with incoming calls ringing once and cutting off, also people have said they have rung and not got through. It started a month ago with a crackly line. I have replaced my phone with a new one two weeks ago with no difference. I have been on the Chat to two operatives who were obviously reading from a list, I asked to be put through to an engineer and was told this was not possible. I was given a telephone number which turned out to be for mobile phones and would cost me 9 pence a minute going by the dial code.

I have received one text message on 01/12/2021 saying my complaint has been logged and nothing more since. I still have the problem and am deeply disappointed with the TalkTalk service so far. I am now thinking of changing provider back to BT so that I can get this problem fixed as it appears to be beyond TT engineers (If they ever exist.).

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Graham,

Thanks for answering the security questions, I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Yes I would like to arrange an engineer to call, most days are convenient, PM is best. The engineer charges are acceptable.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

OK Graham, I've run the test and it's still showing a potential loop fault. The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit, if you'd like us to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges

• Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

OK thanks, I'll run the test now 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Okay, will do, will take off the cover in 1 minute, don't know how long to wait for though , will log back in in 30 minutes.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

OK thanks. The line test is picking up a potential loop fault which is usually caused by equipment/wiring in the customer home so could you remove the master socket faceplate leaving telephone and router disconnected and let me know when you've done this, I'll then run another line test to see if we get the same result

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

NTE 5 as already stated, twice. I don't think this conversation is going in the right direction, I have already given the log number in my first posting, Talktalk ref: CMP-191731, other than someone actually fixing the problem, I don't want any other questions. There is a fault and I want it fixing please.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

Hi Graham,

As ferguson has asked, could you just let me know which type of master socket you have from those shown in Your guide to main sockets

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 20

Can you just identify what your master socket looks like from the pictures in the link Chris posted earlier?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Previous message;

Hi Chris,

There are two sockets one for the phone, BT4500 with inbuilt answer machine which I have replaced with a new unit two weeks ago and a socket for the TalkTalk wifi modem. There is an additional call display unit with the phone but I removed to check incoming calls and it made no difference, it is now connected again. I had the main NTE5 socket and internal copper wires replaced some years back on TalkTalks advice for another problem that we had at that time.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Apologies, probably me being a bit thick but I can't see a reference in your first post to the type of master socket that you have. (I'm sorry but we do need to ask a few questions before arranging and engineer visit if required)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Look at my first message please, I am not going to repeat myself again and again, I had this with the chat service and to be honest I am starting to lose confidence in you.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

OK thanks, which type of master socket do you have - Your guide to master sockets

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi Chris,

No I have two sockets, as per previous message, they are in different rooms, the phone and the router, they are both fitted with filters. The call display connects to the phone base but as I have already mentioned, I removed this and it made no difference so I replaced it so I can at least see who called.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

OK thanks Graham, so you have just one telephone socket (no extension sockets) with a the telephone connected to one port in the socket faceplate and the router connected to the dedicated broadband port in the faceplate?

Does the caller display unit connect directly to the telephone base unit?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi Chris,

There are two sockets one for the phone, BT4500 with inbuilt answer machine which I have replaced with a new unit two ago and a socket for the TalkTalk wifi modem. There is an additional call display unit with the phone but I removed to check incoming calls and it made no difference, it is now connected again. I had the main NTE5 socket and internal copper wires replaced some years back on TalkTalks advice for another problem that we had at that time.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Thanks for updating your profile 

Line test is picking up a potential issue. How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router and one telephone?

Chris

0 Likes

Graham Hunt
First Timer
Message 18 of 20

Profile now updated.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 20

Hi Graham,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes